O9 joins Blackcloud's Railways

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:23 pm

There was an untidy gap under the bonnet of the LE&FLR Thornycroft, not clearly visible from normal layout viewing angles but I knew was there so it needed something to disguise it.

The bits I needed arrived in the post today, a bucket, jerry can and rolled tarpaulin have been used from the Tamiya 1:48 jerry cans set. I can only say I have admiration for the patience of military modellers... The jerry cans are in three separate pieces when on the sprues! I suppose I should be glad that the bucket's handle and tarp's strings are integral parts of the mouldings though.

Having painted the tarp green and rusted the bucket and jerrycan I attached them to the loco's footplate and got Allt-Na-Ballt down from its perch on top of the Gn15 modules to give the loco a test run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pboM4_ZqZGY

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:44 pm

I've just bought two Matchbox diesels on Fleabay, the idea being to join them back to back on a Minitrix BoBo chassis for use on the Lochside Estate and Fisheries... Whether this will work or not remains to be seen but if it does the result should look something like this.
The outline will be more along the theme of a miniature railway than minimum gauge but it could represent a second hand loco purchased from an amusement park for use on the estate.

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:33 pm

A quickie railcar, knocked together last night using a cheap plastic toy.
There's a rolled tarp to cover the radiator in cold weather and another, folded on one of the back seats, to keep rain out when the railcar's not in use, also a sack of something and a coil of rope on the floor in the back. It could still use a bit more clutter, maybe a couple of jerry cans slung externally on the rear and some chain draped over the side.

The Jeep has joined the LE&FLR's growing roster of 11-103 powered machines.
More details on my blog.

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:26 pm

Some Matchbox toy shunters arrived in the post earlier.
As these are toys, and therefore meant to be played with, I've had a play.
It still needs a lot of work but I reckon the result will look well as a centrecab for the Lochside Estate & Fisheries Light Railway.
The chassis will be from an N gauge diesel (similar to the one under the "Garden Shed" loco) and I think I can get away with the cab roof being left at the original height providing the driver is seated with a footwell between the bogies.

Moronguhl
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 09 industrial diesel and battery locos, and track to run them on!

Postby Moronguhl » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:51 am

This looks lovely, and totally feasible! Is there a prototype for this out of interest?
Christian Summers

We're gonna need a little rolling stock...and a lot of luck!

I used to have a project link here until the thread was deleted... :(

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:15 pm

Moronguhl wrote:Is there a prototype for this out of interest?

I doubt it, but there are a lot of miniature locos in the world, many of them one offs, and knowing this forum's experts on such matters I'll probably be proved wrong. :D

I have seen photos of continental European locos which look similar to the Matchbox shunter (before I'm let loose with the hacksaw) so the donors are probably based, however loosely, on something in real life.

Moronguhl
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 09 industrial diesel and battery locos, and track to run them on!

Postby Moronguhl » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:06 am

It looks very believable to me. A modernised double fairlie :D
Christian Summers

We're gonna need a little rolling stock...and a lot of luck!

I used to have a project link here until the thread was deleted... :(

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:02 am

Interesting that you should compare it to the Fairlies. I've got some spares, one to hand and another in the post, and was contemplating joining them nose to nose as a miniature Vale of Ffestiniog style loco. A problem may be that the cab doors on the Matchbox toy are too narrow for an O scale driver to clamber into, especially as he would have very little room to manoeuvre once inside the cab.

Plating over the side doors and opening out the rear of the cab may solve this on a four wheeled critter using a single body shell on a Kato 11-103 chassis but would look odd on a double ended loco. Creating wider side doors would involve some major surgery, not something I'd want to tackle when four doors are needed... All of which need to look vaguely like each other.

As an afterthought, does anyone work in S scale on 9mm gauge track? The Matchbox diesels might work better in 1:64 where the size of the doors may not be such an issue. This would give a track gauge of (very) roughly 22.5 inches (or 576mm) and though the train would be large by UK standards it might pass for something colonial. I'll ask the same question on NGRM online when they've completed their current engineering possession. :wink:

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:34 pm

Sort of a centercab version of RH&D's No.14 http://www.flickr.com/photos/49210983@N ... icialrhdr/
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:29 pm

I've decided against the second loco with the body shells joined nose to nose, as well as the cab doors being too small it looks rather odd.

The centrecab loco is now on the receiving end of some heavy weathering, this is being done by alternating black magic marker and rust coloured acrylic paint, once the paint has dried fully I'll rub it down with a rag and go over it again with the black, then touch in a few more prominent areas of rust. I still need to find a suitable chassis.

In the backgound of the photo above can be seen a single body shell which has had the back removed from the cab. This will be mounted on a Kato 11-103 as a smaller loco from the same makers as the centrecab loco.

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:22 pm

After all this butchery I think I may need a rest from bodging.

:shock:

No, I'm not taking up a less noble hobby than railway modelling or anything like that. Just having a go at a bit of nice sedate kitbuilding for a change. Details on my blog (click).

Mozzer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Model railway all scales

Postby Mozzer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:15 pm

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
No, I'm not taking up a less noble hobby than railway modelling or anything like that. Just having a go at a bit of nice sedate kitbuilding for a change. Details on my blog (click).

Are you feeling alright Bob :shock: you have parted with cash & splashed out on a kit & not skip diving :twisted: :D :D :D
suffering from M.E/CFS since 2007

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:41 pm

Hi Moz.

I'm getting over the shock, slowly. Missed out on Sunday afternoon in the pub to help pay for it though. So the dog's not happy now. :roll:

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:41 am

Hi Bob,
You could always cite this one as a precedent for your double-ender
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3Vyw_qaNZL8/Tg1BuRef9OI/AAAAAAABnY8/eZ02purmg8s/s1600/new_Z.jpg :lol:
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

MickT
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" gauge and related railways Estate (Heywood) and Passenger/Pleasure (Greenly) types. Interest in 09 and 4mm scale 10¼" modelling (1n10¼?) and outside the scope of Gnatterbox, 009

Postby MickT » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:22 pm

I think your Matchbox "fusion" is very reminiscent of the Fairbourne Dingo mark 2 and it gives me an idea :idea: for an 09 excursion myself!

Mick

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:31 pm

Bob, looks like you still could not follow the instructions to the letter. I think the Kato chassis is a better option anyway. Next time I see Dave I will suggest it. Might be a while as we are entering the northern exhibition hibernation period, and might not be till next Spring that I get to next biggish show(Preston?).
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:55 am

I was going to email him once I've finished the kit, I've got sidetracked at the moment though, quite literally...

The navvies are back at Lochside. They've dug holes in the end of the pier and removed the buried electrical connections so that the layout could be rewired for two train operation.
Well, that was the plan anyway. Unfortunately I think I've missed something and may need to dig some more. Having bonded the two inner rails together and connected them to the outer rails via an SPDT switch to replace the original "all tracks always live" arrangement the layout no longer works. I can run a train onto the curved siding with the points and switch reversed but with the points and switch in the normal position there is a short. If I can't sort it out I'll remove the bond between the two inner rails and replace the SPDT with two push to make SPSTs and see if that works.

Needs further investigation and I'll update this thread as and when. :(

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:43 am

Sorted. Not a clue what I was doing wrong but reverting to the KISS principle by using two on/off switches and separate feeds has done the trick. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0HqRzfK2Ss

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:26 pm

Relief.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:16 am

G'day Bob

Glad that you managed to squash those gremlins ____ even if you didn't know what you actually did.

While looking at the video I had the (wicked) thought that you could fit a point (or two) on the fiddle yard which could increase the variety of stock that you could run without lifting and replacing it.

Then (an even MORE wicked) thought ____ if you motorized the points you could even fully automate the whole thing !

Sorry about that ___ that's the sort of thing I would do.

Pity your not just around the corner, I could give you a hand and REALLY confuse you !!!!

Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:03 am

If the layout was automated I'd have nothing to do! :shock: Lochside is intended to be exhibited with Allt-Na-Ballt so there's always something moving on the combined display, even if it's just going round and round and round while I'm busy Gnattering with the audience or on walkabout to grab a fresh cuppa. :wink:

The surface of the pier was patched up with filler last night and repainted this morning. Once the pile of empty fish crates is back in place it should be quite difficult to see where the old wiring was removed.

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:48 am

G'day Bob

Yes I do realise that you would not have much to do if you automated the layout however it would give you a lot more time to Gnatter to the audience and allow you to get your cup of tea without the trains actually stopping.

With my automated layouts they tend to go through a 'sequence' but only when a button out-front is pressed.
This gives ankle-biters a bit of a thrill and makes them feel important.

But I do realise that this is not a technology that all are happy with.
Adrian Hoad

I might be daft but not stupid.

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:09 pm

Adrian wrote:But I do realise that this is not a technology that all are happy with.

Yeah, us Luddites don't like technology, I reckon we should make an automatic machine to smash it all. :lol:

With the pier's surface repaired and the paint thoroughly dry the last step of the rewiring job has just been completed by reinstating the pile of empty crates. If anything they're even untidier than before. :roll:
Lochside is now capable of two train operation and I no longer need to fiddle with couplings and runaway wagons, which is nice.

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:26 am

I've been taking a short diversion from bodging and made up a couple of the Unit Models O9 kits. They both went together easily, even with a few modifications to fit a shortened Minitrix wagon chassis under van and a Kato 11-103 under the trammer.
I've actually quite enjoyed this insight into how proper modellers do things and will definitely buy myself some more of Dave's wagon kits. But, having established the loading gauge for an O9 van, I now have a plan to go back to bodging with a bogie version disguising a ghost mechanism for use with a rail tractor and maybe a couple of other small locos. More of that later.

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:39 pm

A new wagon arrived on the pier at Lochside this morning...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6lanOgRNzA

Return to “Size doesn't matter”