(F) 1/12th Heywood layout

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: narrow & minimum gauge

(F) 1/12th Heywood layout

Postby Jez kirkwood » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:34 pm

I hope this is posted in the correct forum; anyway here is a plan and a couple of sketches of my new 1/12th Heywood layout 'Waterfield Hall'
front view
view at section A
layout represents the station at the hall situated in the estate yard. I have started building the baseboard and have ordered some 1/12th scale bricks to have a go at building the wall at the house end of the layout. I will post some pics as work (hopefully) progresses!!
Jez
ps. if anyone fancies producing a resin Heywood cast iron sleeper in 1/12th I'd be very interested.
Stout Mackintosh!!!

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Jez kirkwood » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:36 am

This morning the postie kindly delivered the bricks and cement I ordered on Tuesday, so tonight I've been having a play.
First thing I did was to glue the first course onto a piece of mounting card which in turn was pinned to a a piece of ply - this gave me a solid base to work from and something to rest the set square on as work progressed upwards.
after 2 1/2 hours I had reached a scale height of 6' and used all the 250 bricks - I feel another obscure request to santa coming on!!

I have to say I'm very pleased with the results. This will form the post between the big and small gates on the sketch.
I think the walls will be constructed as self standing units but for the buildings I will try using a thin ply shell clad in the same bricks.........
Jez
Stout Mackintosh!!!

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Jez kirkwood » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:04 pm

" Jez, what are you planning to use for motive power?? "

At the moment I plan to have two locos:
One of the Simplexes used at Eaton, either the 1922 channel frame 20hp or the later 1938 plate framed 20hp with Dorman engine, this choice will depend on which one I can find drawings for first - any offers?
Second loco will be a Heywood loco either the first Katie or Ursula, not sure which yet.
These will be radio controlled and for obvious reasons I plan to start with the Simplex then move on to the more complicated steamer!
Jez
Stout Mackintosh!!!

greengiant
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 7mm, O-16.5, GN15 and 2 foot

Postby greengiant » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:11 pm

If you need detailed measurements or photo reference I regularly drive this one

And yes, the notch in the door frame is to clear the exhaust stack, it's home is really that tight a fit!

Martin
Martin

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Jez kirkwood » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:48 am

During the 1920s the staff at Waterfield Hall realised that their beloved steam loco was begining to show her age, they had lost the back up of the Duffield Bank workshops following the death of Sir Arthur in 1916 and needed some new motive power.

A visit was made to Eaton Hall to see their Simplex in use but whilst researching different manufacturers the estate engineer had come accross several firms making battery electric locomotives for mines etc. A few years earlier a steam driven generating plant had been installed at the hall and most of the railways work was carrying coal for the plant. The engineer decided that he could use the generating plant to charge batteries for an electric loco and having ordered motor, batteries and control gear he set about building the loco in the estate workshop using wheels and bearings from one of the Heywood wagons and timber from the estate sawmill. Whilst continuing my research into this fascinating line the original sketches for the loco have recently come to light and are reproduced below.
Jez
Stout Mackintosh!!!

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Jez kirkwood » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:08 pm

Hi Folks
I went out this afternoon and bought the timber for the chassis so hopefully I will start on some miniature joinery this evening. The wheelbase of the loco is 3' ( same as a Heywood top wagon) and the length is 9' plus couplings, this compares with Ravenglass's Muir Hill locos (Quarryman etc.) which were 9.6' long with 3' wheelbase using standard Heywood couplings.
I'm going to order wheels bearings and couplers from Back2Bay6 with chaindrive from IP Engineering, I shall use radio control gear bodged from a r/c car and the rest I shall make myself - I need some nice brass rims for the cab windows which I will turn up if needs be, but I wonder whether there are suitably sized (approx 1 1/4" dia.) portholes available for model boat builders?
Jez
Stout Mackintosh!!!

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Jez kirkwood » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:28 pm

So I've just got back into the house (cold) having spent the evening in the shed (wood burner - nice and cosy!) making a start on the chassis. Frames are properly jointed into the buffer beams. I couldn't resist routing the chamfer along the bottom edge of the frames, the stretcher will need to have a cut out for the drive chain. Next I need to start making the ironwork.
Jez
Stout Mackintosh!!!

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Jez kirkwood » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:27 pm

It was only after a couple of days looking at the plan that I recognised it as Llanastr - Rodney Hall's 4mm finescale layout that was doing the rounds late 80s early 90s and was one of the first realistic minimum space layouts, it was the first layout I saw which used a sector plate not only for hidden sidings put also to substitute half the pointwork. Llanastr had an overbridge as the scenic break and was a front to back mirror image of my layout. I remember seeing it at the Cheltenham exhibition in approx. 1988 it obviously made a big impression as I would only have been 15 at the time! Goes to show that all the good ideas are copied from somewhere!!!!
cheers
Jez
Stout Mackintosh!!!

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Jez kirkwood » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:45 am

Hi folks
Have started on the loco bodywork last couple of days, so far I've only used lollysticks and wood glue.
Jez
Stout Mackintosh!!!

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Jez kirkwood » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:12 pm

Here's the latest pic, cab interior to do next.
Jez
Stout Mackintosh!!!

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Jez kirkwood » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:14 pm

The cab panels are made up from three layers of lolly sticks crossed over like plywood glued and weighted overnight then the holes were cut using a hole cutter (the type with a drill in the center with a sort of tubular saw mounted on it) mounted in my trusty pillar drill. The bonnet fronts are only two layers but were done the same way, only with a smaller cutter.
Jez
Stout Mackintosh!!!

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Jez kirkwood » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:18 am

Yesterday I fixed the 'canvas' onto the cab roof - this will be painted in due course. Tonight I've added the hinges for the bonnet covers and the headlights, these are made from large brass eyelets, as sold for canvas tents, sails etc., with the back turned down and a clear glass marble glued onto the back and painted behind, my twelve year old drives a hard bargain and I ended up paying £1 each for the marbles!!!!!! I did however get the eyelets for free off a mate so mustn't grumble.
Jez
Stout Mackintosh!!!

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Jez kirkwood » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:07 am

Here's the latest pic. I turned up two spectacle plates from brass (still have to do the other two) this evening glazed and fitted them.
Jez
Stout Mackintosh!!!

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Jez kirkwood » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:36 pm

Hi folks
On Tuesday I ordered the wheelsets/axleboxes/couplers from Back2Bay6 which arrived on Wednesday!! Pretty good service in my book, also today I received the drivechain and sprockets from IP Engineering. I have to say that the quality of all these products is superb.
Since the last photo the woodwork has been stained (artists inks) and varnished, the roof has had batterns added and been painted (acrylics), the cab interior have been added and the chassis components have been temporarily put together (they will come apart for painting).
The spectacle rims were cut from some scrap castings a mate gave me (decorative backing plates for brass hooks from curtain tiebacks).
Jez

Stout Mackintosh!!!

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Jez kirkwood » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:37 pm

Hi folks
I have the first couple of chassis shots for you, the wheels have been blackened, the axleboxes painted, sprockets fitted and the whole lot fitted to the frames.
The second sprocket on the one axle is for a second chain from the motor/gearbox which will be fitted up inside one of the bonnets.
Jez
Stout Mackintosh!!!

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Jez kirkwood » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:45 am

The chain and sprockets are from

http://www.ipengineering.co.uk/

The sprockets are a tight push fit on the 1/8" axles - only problem is they only do one size of sprocket so I will need to fit a gearbox of some sort between the motor and the chain.
Jez
Stout Mackintosh!!!

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Jez kirkwood » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:23 pm

Hi folks
I must have been a good boy last year as Santa brought me the scale bricks I wanted :D :D
So I have been doing a bit more on the gate post that appeared way back on the first page of this thread. I still have to add details onto the gate but couldn't resist a quick pic with the hall in the background.
Jez
Stout Mackintosh!!!

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Jez kirkwood » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:09 pm

Latest pic of the layout
I have to say that the digi camera has become one of the most useful tools I'm using to build this layout, being able to check the composition of the scene and sight lines is really helpful.
Jez
Stout Mackintosh!!!

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Jez kirkwood » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:51 am

Over the last few days I have made a start on the station platform/roof/fence. Platform is a plywood box with bricks on the front and will be slabbed on the surface. Fence is pine stripwood and coffee stirrers. Roof is more stripwood and even more lolly sticks!! It will be covered in real slate tiles (when I've ordered them and the stone slabs).
Jez
Stout Mackintosh!!!

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Jez kirkwood » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:24 pm

Hi folks,
I haven't posted anything for a couple of weeks, not much has happened on the layout but I have started on the frames for the 'game' wagon and also a private saloon based on a modified dining carriage. Inspired by one of the directors of the Furness railway who lived on the eastern shore of Lake Windermere, each morning he would leave his house, be served breakfast onboard his private steam boat (T.S.S.Y. Esperance) as he sailed down to catch the train to Barrow at Lakeside, in the evening the boat would be at the steamer pier waiting to carry him home.

So having seen the dining carriage at Duffield the owner of Waterfield Hall asked Heywood to build him a private carriage with a small kitchen at one end, a single table and dining chair in the center section and an armchair and a small stove in the third section. Every morning he would take breakfast in the train on his way to meet the mainline connection to the city. The carriage would be left on its own covered siding during the day and in the evening he would be met from the (big) train and conveyed back to the Hall, relaxing in his armchair with a paper, pipe and a rather good sherry!
I will add drawings and pics in due course.
Jez
Stout Mackintosh!!!

Jez kirkwood
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Jez kirkwood » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:24 am

I cannot believe how long it is since I posted anything about the layout - I have been making slow progress and will post some pics of the railway soon, meanwhile here is a picture of my Triassic models Bassett-Lowke coaches. I still need to fit bolt detail onto the underframe and I'm going to have ago at making the stripey canvas canopies that were fitted to some of these coaches.
Stout Mackintosh!!!

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Re: (F) 1/12th Heywood layout

Postby chris stockdale » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:19 pm

Well, it has been a while since anything was said about Waterfield Hall in here.

More has been written on the 7/8ths Lounge, but best of all is that it now has its own FB page, see:

https://www.facebook.com/waterfieldhall/?ref=ts&fref=ts

And if you want a closer look it will be at the Warley Show.

Cheers,

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:46 pm

Did you scratch build that gorgeous green Simplex?
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:16 pm

Hi Doc,

For a definitive answer you'd need to ask Jez on the Lounge as he hasn't signed in here since 2012.

I do know that a one man company called Outline produced a few 7/8th scale Simplexes in the early 2000s, but I don't know if this is one of them.

Cheers,

Bill Reynolds
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Cycle touring, Garden Railways, Motorcycling, Gn15 and 7/8" scale.

Postby Bill Reynolds » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:39 pm

I brought one of those 'Outline' locomotives from the makers before deciding to convert stuff to 7/8"-1.12th scale. The build was rather flimsy and the engine was rather light....so much that it had little pulling power! It was in part made from Plastikard and I remember tying to 'shoe-horn' a butchered driver into the small cab. It was so flimsy that when it fell off my work bench down the shed....it fell apart!....oh dear....
Bill Reynolds..... Amalgamated Conserves....Our jam's are wonderfull...(try a spoon!)

Return to “Size doesn't matter”