I posted the rough shot of the 3d print on the Baby Bagnalls thread, but thought I ought to make my own thread to show progress.
Bear in mind that this is prototype 1, and that there have been a couple of modifications to the CAD file since (I'm about to order prototype 2, if that one's OK then I'll be making these available through shapeways). Also I haven't used any filler on the bodywork at all, as I wanted to dispel the idea some people have that 3D printing can't produce an acceptable surface for a model. All that I've done was sand it down with some 1600 grit paper, a couple of coats of Klear, then archer rivets (and resin w glue/cocktail stick method for the curved rivets on the front of the tank), a spray of halfords grey primer, and brush painted using acrylics.
The chassis is a fleischmann 7000 (cheap secondhand, easily available, and a good reliable runner), which takes about 3 minutes to alter (cut back the plastic using big scissors to take off the cylinders and trim back the sides so they just cover the pickups and clip on, clip off suppressors and resolder the left over bits of suppressor wires from pickup to motor mount).
This one is open cabbed, as the safety valve bonnet didn't print, so I had to scratchbuild new safety valves from styrene rod, old guitar string and a bit of old brass etch. Hopefully the valve bonnet will print on the second prototype (I've changed it a little and it seems to pass shapeways' tests).
forgive the barrel distortion - its a small camera used at close quarters! The actual model is about 28mm wide and 64mm long, so these photos are pretty unkind close ups shown several times life size.
Some have suggested that I put the rivets on the print, but using the archer rivets means that you can smooth the print without worrying about losing the rivet detail.
I am also looking into producing the Sipat class in 1:17 (to fit onto an ETS chassis) and Gn15 (to fit onto a bachmann percy/greg chassis)