HLW Mack bashes in G scale, the Whaddahellizit

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

vsmith
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: G, Gn15, On30, HOn30, N

HLW Mack bashes in G scale, the Whaddahellizit

Postby vsmith » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:58 am

Mack bash in G, the Whaddahellizit

On another thread Jeff Saxton asked for more information on this Mack bash I did a few years ago, theres a bit of a story behind it and the models that followed.

I have always liked the HLW Mack as a prime mover, its rugged and virtually bulletproof reliable. I was also very very frustrated in the lack of affordable bash platforms in G, everything was priced like it was a precious commodity that was not dared to be touched or modified....except for the Mack, you could buy one back then for about $40, so needless to say I had accuired a few over the years. I also have an almost insatiable desire to bash ideas I would get in my head, one of them being a steam tram type locomotive, I had seen locos with side skirts, internal pistons and chain drives so the outsides looked similar to the Mack, I decided what the hell and tried to make something quick and dirty just to see what it might look like, so I retained the Mack cab, in place, and built a quick boiler out of a plumbing piece, a backhead out of balsa, and some left over gondola body for the fuel bunker, domes and light from carved up christmas sets. In the end I had, for lack of a better term a cute little mining loco, an an inexpensive platform, my first impression when I got a good look at it was "whaddahellizit?" the name has stuck with me since.

Well it didnt take long for me to go a little mad in the bashing department, and why not/ these were really really fun models to build, in the space of a couple years I added a lot of the Whadda's to the roster:

Some of these I sold off, a couple I wish I had kept, the double cab Stainz bash being one. I hope to rebuild it one day.

One the first two bashes I scratched the stacks, and have never been really satisfied with them, thats why on the Gn15 Porter bash Whadda #1 now sports a bigger stack, I used the Whadda's first stack on the Gn15 engine where it looks more in scale, I hope to swap #2's stack as well, we'll see.

Hope you like them.
Biography: Born, Currently Living

franckcombe
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: computer architecture train

Postby franckcombe » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:40 pm

I'm impressed by the variation around the mack.

Here 2 of mines

this one is unfinished with the flying light

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: old technology and small railways, with new technology tossed in.

Postby JeffSaxton » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:56 pm

Whoa, Vic, very nice (and Franck as well). I figured there was one loco there, but you've got a whole fleet! I can foresee a run on the Hartland Mack loco now, as others use the ideas as a basis! Currently the Mack is around $55 to $65, depending on where one buys.

They don't sell direct, but the selection is here:

www.h-l-w.com
Jeff Saxton
I'm spending the year dead for tax purposes!

GUTMACH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: narrow gauge, machining, Gn15, machining, err....

Postby GUTMACH » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:47 pm

Wow, the Mack bash looks to be a easy conversion to a gas-mechanical, like a Plymouth. Pretty tempting.

-Wayde

franckcombe
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: computer architecture train

Postby franckcombe » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:45 pm

it's even more easy with the mack.

Return to “Size doesn't matter”