Fn18 Crown Butte Mine

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

patrickkramer
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Fn18

Fn18 Crown Butte Mine

Postby patrickkramer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:15 pm

Hello,

This is my first time posting here. I've been interested in building in Fn18 scale for some time now due to an interest in Fn3. S gauge (22.42mm) works out very nicely to 18" in F scale (1:20.3). Without suitable track and model.

Here is my concept model.

Here is my progress so far.

My motive power consists of a model power hustler that has been regauged by extending the axles with brass tubing. Track was hand laid with code 100 rail. Switches are atlas snap switches that were regauged. I'm currently test running with a battery pack but am planning on a remote control system.

Interested to hear from any one also interested in this scale/gauge combination.

Patrick [/img]

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:37 pm

Hello Patrick, welcome to the Gnatterbox :) You don't have to be mad or Gnatter to enjoy being here, but one or both can be an advantage :wink:

I have an interest in Fn3 (and most other scales if I'm honest :mrgreen: ) I like the start you've made, I'm interested in seeing how you progress with this project :D

Do you have any photos of the regauging of the Hustler?
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

patrickkramer
'boxer
'boxer

Hustler regauge

Postby patrickkramer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:54 pm

The regauging of the hustler was quite easy. I used 3mm brass tubing that fit over the plastic axles and then drilled out the wheels to that size. I've included a picture. I haven't trimmed the axles yet because I haven't decided if I'm going to keep the wheels that are currently on it.

Patrick [/list][/code]

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:49 pm

Thanks Patrick, that was the sort of detail I was after :)
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

patrickkramer
'boxer
'boxer

Postby patrickkramer » Mon May 26, 2014 5:23 am

I've made some progress on my battery tram locomotive and have some pics to share.

The wheel sets are FN18 wheels I purchased from Gary Raymond. I have enough wheels to make 8 skips. I attempted to make some frames from bending plastruct u channel but was unsuccessful. I may try using brass channel.

The locomotive has a Del Tang RX-60 powered with 4 AAA battery pack. I've been very impressed with how it works, excellent slow speed.

Patrick

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, the web, photography, art, outdoor life like camping, biking, paddling canoe etc.

Re: Fn18 Crown Butte Mine

Postby henrix72se » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:55 pm

Looking around I found this thread - also about Fn18 scale !!

Any progress since last ?

Henrik
I build Estate, Industrial and Military Light Railways in Fn18 (1/20) scale - http://Laurell.Today/

patrickkramer
'boxer
'boxer

Postby patrickkramer » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:18 pm

There hasn't been much progress unfortunately since the layout has been in storage for over a year. I did enlarge it to 3'x5' which required relaying some track. Most recently I glued up the foam for the cliff face which I'm going to carve. Image

patrickkramer
'boxer
'boxer

Postby patrickkramer » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:25 pm

I have made some more progress. I've started carving the rock cliffs and laid the 3' gauge track. Currently I have mock ups for the buildings and trestle.

My plan is to build some log cribbing like this.

I collected some ponderosa pine twigs to make the cribbing but am unsure they will work. It seems hard to find ones straight enough and without insect damage. I think I will try looking for another species. I hope I can find something that will look correct. I am a little concerned about the amount of cribbing visually and may extend the trestle or something else.

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:27 am

Good to see progress on this one. Watching from here! :D
Ken

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, the web, photography, art, outdoor life like camping, biking, paddling canoe etc.

Postby henrix72se » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:08 am

Looking great !!

Henrik
I build Estate, Industrial and Military Light Railways in Fn18 (1/20) scale - http://Laurell.Today/

Return to “Size doesn't matter”