Having only one 1/12th loco to run on the Sunnyvale mushroom farm was not ideal. Any breakdown or maintainance stopped everything, so another loco was needed.
I had an Atlas 0 gauge shunter chassis, and by removing the keeper plate and removing the centre axle easily created an 0-4-0. Searching for a suitable candidate to mount on this long wheelbase chassis , I remembered how much I had enjoyed Bilco`s thread on building the Solva loco, Digging into the thread I found two prototype photos.
I simply put the chassis on its side, sat a driver on the cast chassis and drew round them. This gave me the length and height , and by referring to the pictures I could then sketch in the cab, body and pick up sides.
It may not be accurate but it captures the character.
The body is all plastic. The cab hoops were built on graph paper flat out of 3mm square section and then assembled into the cab, with expaned aluminium for the roof. The headlights were from a 1/24 mercedes and the rear facing light is a model boat searchlight. I even copied Bilcos use of a buffer head for the charger socket cover. The chassis wheels are very small and I therefore replaced the prototype wheel arches with covers. The motor block protrudes slightly into the back goods area so this was covered with a tarpaulin and small barrel from Macs Mouldings.
The whole thing was sprayed with acrylics and weathered with the same.