1/35th Scale Model RR?

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

dylanpaugh12
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Model Railroading

1/35th Scale Model RR?

Postby dylanpaugh12 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:18 am

I have a bunch of 1/35th scale WWII figurines, and have wondered if anyone had built a functioning model railway in this scale? I know there are some locomotives and rolling stock but to my knowledge the locomotives are not functional and the rolling stock is only artillery guns. I have no plans on building a railway in this scale though.
Happy Modelling!

-Thanks,
Dylan

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

1/35th Scale Model RR?

Postby NotHarryPotter » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:30 am

Dylan,

yes it is pretty well possible to build anything if you set your mind and ingenuity to it.

1/35n2 is close to 2ft narrow gauge railways in 1/35th scale. You can easily build loco bodies and wagons to fit HO/OO chassis from sheet styrene. It is pretty much a scratchbuilders or kitbasher's scale, but like Gn15 it has a lot of potential. Christopher Payne wrote a series of articles for the British magazine "Railway Modeller" on 1/34n2 railways. He built a great layout called Portpyn, using the HO/OO chassis, and military figures (suitably butchered to make civilians) with military details pressed into civilian use.

cheers
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:26 pm

my current project using APA boxes is 1/35n2. It is an excellent scale to work in as there are a lot of kits aimed at military modellers. I have mentioned them before, and even mentioned them to Christopher at an exhibition as he wasn't aware of them, and that is the civilian refugee figures produced by Preiser, totally different to figures in other scales. I think that Preiser might be producing some of these in other scales now.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

southpier
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: large scale narrow gauge micro layouts

Postby southpier » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:59 am

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:29 am

I have a functioning Rhodesian 3ft 6inch gauge layout (30.5mm) in 1:35th scale see http://www.newrhodesian.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1096&start=230 (you'll need to join the group to see the thread)

I'm also just starting a 2ft gauge line using 16.5mm gauge track that will be set somewhere in the Mediterranian

There is a very active Yahoo group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FS32NGModelrail/ which jumps between 1:32 and 1:35th

There is also an inactive Yahoo group at http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/1_35scalenarrowgauge/
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Mike Bellamy
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: 7mm Narrow Gauge Assn member

Postby Mike Bellamy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:31 am

There is a model of UK forces in Iraq which shows a desert scene full of military vehicles. The story is that the Brits helped the locals to rebuild their narrow gauge railway that they use to collect water from a well.

The board is covered in sand and there is a simple circuit of OO/HO track and various scratch built/modified kits for locos and goods wagons.

Photos can be found here
http://wiganfrmexhibitionphotography.we ... -2003.html

What can't be seen are the photos that are all around the layout showing the actual vehicles modelled as well as a description and details of what kit was used for each one. Exhibited to raise funds for the Help the Heroes Charity
Mike

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:03 am

saw that at Wigan, was chatting to them for a long time. One thing about military modelling is that there are even more traps to fall into with respect to uniforms. Our freelance stuff is a lot easier. The layout is planned to be at the big WW1 narrow gauge commemoration event/exhibition next year.
I would suggest for anyone starting actually going for 1/32 as there are so many 'toy' figures and vehicles out there at reasonable prices. With care it is possible to mix/match with 1/35.
For me I am modeling some layouts in 1/32(more modern) and some 1/35(WW1 and WW2 eras), and 1/32 represents 50cm on 16.5mm track, where as 1/35 represents 60cm gauge.
In some ways it is easier starting in 1/32 than 1/24 scale (shot down in flames by Gn15 diehards :roll: ), especially when money is an issue. 50cm gauge is almost minimum gauge.
Always possible to modify later when you want to go for bigger scale and you can re-use/recycle track and trains.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

southpier
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: large scale narrow gauge micro layouts

Postby southpier » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:45 am

Return to “Size doesn't matter”