Photos of 1/12 locos from Adam Roper

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Photos of 1/12 locos from Adam Roper

Postby chris stockdale » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:03 am

As I commented in another thread Adam is not set up for dropping photos in here.

I was delighted to have an email a few minutes ago with these little beauties as attachments. Enjoy! (And thanks Adam).

First is Katie

Then Ella

and lastly Colossus (a Bassett Lowke on a genuine Bassett Lowke mechanism)

cheers,

Adam Roper
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Listers

Postby Adam Roper » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:16 am

Ella has progressed a bit since the photo was taken as the motion and the footplate area are now complete.

Only minor details and painting are now required

These models are not to everyone's taste as they are not fine scale, not live steam and not electric. However the idea was to put some very old clockwork mechanisms to use rather than anything else.

The mechanisms came from a man who buys old models and converts them to fine scale electric - the Basset Lowke motor came out of a very old 16mm scale model of something meant to be Welsh Highland and caused a few problems - a fake Bassett Lowke body wouldn't be right and a fine scale body wouldn't look right either but a model of a Bassett Lowke miniature loco on a Bassett Lowke motor had a lot of appeal.

Katie is on a Hornby D49 chassis which was modified long ago to power a GWR City class - Ella is on a Meccano motor.

Everything is made using hand tools is the style of the 1930's modellers - life would be much easier using more modern techinques but I wanted them to look older than they are.

Ella is one of a pair - this one is more or less as built but the second will be as finally modified. There are a lot of differences and I am not sure if the second will ever be completed

All these locos would be good in 1/24th or similar scales - for Colossus try a Tri-ang Hall chassis - its not far out!
Adam

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:31 am

Ooh! I'm looking froward to another batch of photos when you're ready.

As to not fine scale, not this, not that...

I say 'No problem!' They have a charm all their own. For those who don't know, Marc Horovitz, the editor of the American Garden Railways magazine has had a few 'Spring Windup' meetings for clockwork powered locos. Feast your eyes here:

http://www.sidestreetbannerworks.com/ra ... .home.html

cheers,

Return to “Size doesn't matter”