My latest 3-D printed experiment

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

My latest 3-D printed experiment

Postby tebee » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:50 pm

I've just done some O9 skips chassis where everything is 3-d printed - including the wheels and axles.

They run quite well, although not as well as ones with metal wheels and they are VERY light.

The main advantage is it's easy to produce wheels in different styles and size. these ones where done with 20mm axles so these chassis could be used in any gauge between 9mm and 14mm

I've tried this before and had problems with the axle length being made wrongly but this time Shapeways got it right .

This is the wheel in detail - it's in dyed WSF, so nylon and very strong.

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:37 am

they look nice, but as you say they are very lightweight. This is one reason many are swapping plastic wheels for metal.
Most railways have wagons off the track, or just sitting at the end of a siding. For these nicely detailed wheels would look great.
Concerned that Shapeways made a mistake though.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:23 am

You normally need to add weight to a wagon with metal wheels - it's just you need to add more weight with these.

They are going to get wooden bodies, so I'll stick some lead under these.

Shapeways seem to have a problem with accuracy in the Z axis, which is printed differently to all the rest. This is the one across the striations.

I've had 4 sets of wheels and axles all come out too short by over 2% ( back to back too small too) Normally this would not matter and most people will probably never notice in most things, but in this case it's vital it is correct.

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

Carlo
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: figures, microlayouts

Postby Carlo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:25 pm

Tebee -
Why not just print the wheels, and use a metal axle, for weight, accuracy, and mechanical strength? That way gauge would not be an issue.
Carlo

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:03 pm

Metal wheels or even only an axle does not bring too much weight with these tiny wheels. I sometimes simply wrap a layer or wo of solder around the axles.

If I don´t have to hide the extra weight, I glue some sheet lead under the wagons.

Have Fun

Juergen

Return to “Size doesn't matter”