NHER Pt.2 O9

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Si
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9 and ng in general

NHER Pt.2 O9

Postby Si » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:28 pm

New year new layout:

This is what I've been working on over the Christmas holidays. It's the next part of my O9 Nurton Hall Estate Railway ( http://www.minimumgauge.info/viewtopic.php?t=9010 ) that I built this time last year.

The two layouts don't actually connect together but are different locations on the same railway. The original was very much a shunting layout so the new one is a 'sit there and watch the trains go past' job - basically a glorified pizza in an APA box.

To quote from another forum (and apologies for X posting): This layout has three small isolated sections in the big loop, one being in the station area, and the other two off scene. Three trains run around at the same time. One enters the station and stops at the isolating section, the one that has just left the station stops at the isolating section immediately off scene and the third trundles along until it hits the third, shorter, isolating section just to the right of the right mouse hole. This section is small enough that it doesn't stop the train, but by having one wheel in it and one out the loco passes current into it, and it is wired to the other two isolating sections so all three trains will start up....you've probably seen this technique used on lots of tram layouts. Thus we see a continual stream of trains entering from the right, stopping at the station and then departing to the left to be immediately replaced by another train......you might have noticed the industry lines at the rear. These are also intended to be automated to an extent. The top one has a loco and V tipper wagon (you can see the wagon to be at the front left of the layout). It has graded stone dropped into it from the grader at the right, it then trundles across the bridge and tips it's load down the shoot in the middle into a waiting wagon below. The top wagon is returned to the grader for the next load and the lower wagon is pulled off-scene to be taken down the line and tipped into a lorry. Both repeat until there is so much loose grit strewn across the layout that nothing further will work!

More when I've made more progress.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:52 pm

Nice idea. wonder if you could give more info on isolating sections and wiring, possibly a drawing?
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Si
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Si » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:14 am

Well, I haven't actually got it all built and working yet, but the theory is.....

big circle of track. Three isolated sections, two of which are just longer than a loco (my locos are all Kato chassis jobs), and the third of which is short enough that a loco running over it will always have one pair of wheels in the live area.

The three isolated sections are wired together. When locos run into the two longer isolated sections they will stop. When a loco runs over the third, shorter, isolated section the power will go from the live section, up through one of its wheels and then down into the isolated section...from there the power is also fed, via the wires, into the other two isolated sections and everything starts moving again. Diodes on the longer isolated section feeds stop the power running the wrong way when a loco enters either of them.
If a train should stall in an isolated section for any reason, and thus miss its turn, then the train behind it merely comes along and nudges it out of the dead area before stopping there itself.
The only other thing to do is to make sure that the longest run of live track is immediately before the short isolating section, thus ensuring that two trains are in the 'stopping' isolated sections before the 'trigger' section is entered.

Will do some photos when build is done.

Si
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Si » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:21 am

Couple of recent photos:

Unfortunately the trigger for the isolating section didn't work as well as it might and so had to fudge it for the Mickleover show. Fudge shown below (well, it worked!):

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: British Narrow gauge, American shortlines,anything that runs on rails really.

Postby Broadoak » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:30 am

That all looks very nice to me, especially the weathering.

Well done Si. 8)
Peter M

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:10 am

G'day Si
Like the scenic look of your layout.
It looks good.

Interested in your train automation.
Simple but effective.
Unfortunately the trigger for the isolating section didn't work as well as it might and so had to fudge it for the Mickleover show.

Seems that Murphy can strike even on the simplest of circuits.
( rule #23 ---- The reliability of any circuit is inversely proportionally to the number of people and their importance, who are observing it.)

Out of curiosity, did the tipper wagon animation work OK for you ?

Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

Si
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Si » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:11 pm

thanks Broadoak & Adrian

The tipper part of it works (there is a flap in the funnel so it can either tip into the wagon below or into a hidden bucket behind the layout). So far I've not managed to get around to actually automating the tipper train though.

Have just received a teebee shapeways V skip chassis through the post so will try to get it working for that....but when there isn't a show deadline to work to I don't get much done.

Return to “Size doesn't matter”