Minimum Space Layout contest (?French?) : Anybody recall?

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Prof Klyzlr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Aussie NG Logging Tramway fan

Minimum Space Layout contest (?French?) : Anybody recall?

Postby Prof Klyzlr » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:49 am

Dear Gnatterboxers,

Am frantic trying to remember the name of a minimum space layout contest, possibly based out of France, or certainly in Europe. The core details were that once the modeller had picked their desired gauge, the max allowable layout footprint dimensions (length and width) were some perscribed multiple of the chosen gauge...

Does this ring a bell to anyone? Anybody remember the same contest, have examples, or links to the rules?

Many Thanks in Advance,

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr
Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:57 am

Simon Hargraves
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15,1/32n16.5,0-14,009,Nm...nuff said?

Postby Simon Hargraves » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:31 pm

There was a challenge set for Expometrique in the late 1990s based on multiples of gauge.

There were two formats: shelf and continuous run.....the multiples of gauge being chosen to result in a long, narrow and shorter, wider layout respectively.

I built my 0-14 layout "South Bierley Sewage Works" as an entry in the "shelf" category for this challenge and showed it at Expometrique in Les Lilas, Paris in either 1999 or 2000.......whichever year, it won an award for "Scenographics"!

The layout subsequently featured in both NG&IRM Review (in English) and Voie Libre (in French).

I still have the layout, pretty much as it appeared back then, and it is scheduled to appear at ExpoNG this year.

I don't know about links to the rules as this was pre-Internet for me, but I will have a look through magazines of the time and see if I can find something.

Regards,
Simon.
Simon H

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:31 pm

Juergen has link to the challenge at Sedan last year, I think that was the challenge. Layout size was based on gauge used, each size being based on lengths of A4 paper.
Similar challenges have been set before.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Return to “Size doesn't matter”