O27 for 1:24 scale narrow gauge trolley?

Minimum gauge modelling in other scales.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

O27 for 1:24 scale narrow gauge trolley?

Postby Nevadablue » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:56 pm

I have a box of O27 stuff that I would like to use for models. I just found this pic... I realize it is standard gauge, but why not a version in narrow gauge. O27 is about 30" in 1:24 I think.

which says to me "go for it!". I didn't realize that there were such 3 rail setups.

Has anyone here done this? I grew up next to an interurban rail line (long defunct) and actually owned a double arch bridge on the old line for a while. This was not a 3 rail line, but I could use my unlimited model license to bend the truth and model it as a 3 rail line.
Ken

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:12 am

Whether there was 3 rail narrow gauge like that is beyond my knowledge.
What is known is that there are/were narrow gauge trams and trollies.
You know how it works - build it and then after you have, references to a prototype will show up!
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:49 am

The guys at ngrm-online posted this link. This is IT. The three rail version is on the list now. :D

Ken

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways; beer; Goblins

Postby RoGNer » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:55 pm

What a wonderful photograph.

Roger

:D
Keep it on the Short and Gnarrow!

The Lea Bailey Light Railway - follow us on facebook..

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:29 pm

Gnice piccy :)

That's Laxey station, that type of car doesn't usually do the full run to Ramsey - it looks like it's arrived from Douglas (to left on photo) and is being turned to head back there, the trolley pole has been turned but the seats are still facing Ramsey.

Btw these are not the most popular type with the crews, the driver has no weather protection and the conductor has to perch precariously on the back handrail when trollying through the twiddly bits on the overhead wires.

Looking forward to seeing a Manx inspired model Ken :cool:
Ian K
Be seeing you...

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:05 pm

Thanks Ian! I was concerned about operator comfort on the first pic I posted. The second one has no protection as you say. Fair weather trolley. :D
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:22 am

Well, this chassis is a BEAST! I've been used to playing with the little HO drives for Gn15 and I think this thing could pull a real train. :shock:

The president of the newly formed Transit Authority called a meeting of key people to show them the new chassis.
There was a LOT of discussion, even they were amazed by the new machine and the plans for it. 8)

Note the official looking tall character on the left. He is the head of security for the Authority and is keeping a close eye on everyone. :wink:

Ken

Return to “Size doesn't matter”