2015 challenge

Caption competitions, competitions run by The Management (ahem) or just a challenge you'd like to set your fellow 'boxers, this is where to put them!

If anyone finds a challengney type thread elsewhere can you PM me the number and I'll carefully copy it over into this forum.

If anyone's wondering why I've done this ... wait and see! :-)

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Re: 2015 challenge

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:07 am

If we have a set of rules, would someone please restate them in one post? That way, reference is easy and finding or printing a copy will be easy. 8)
Ken

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15, audio recording, Film Photography

Postby martin » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:53 pm

Nevadablue wrote:If we have a set of rules, would someone please restate them in one post? That way, reference is easy and finding or printing a copy will be easy. 8)

Rules are in the first post

size to be 19 by 15 in(1915 connection) , no extra for fiddle stick etc(the extra 4in on base should be enough), and that is outside dimensions including backscene. This means it could be placed inside a piece of 15in gauge track as part of exhibition.
Gn15
Working , not static
At least one operational point or turntable (suggestion from Martin, I am not trying to promote my 3D printed wagon turntables, really... :lol: ).
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://suttonboningtongallery.com/soar-valley-garden-railway/
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:05 pm

just managed to clean up my original paper challenge layout from 2007. It will become my workshop display layout to replace the Christmas snow one. When I first built it I had problems with rail expansion so having it in a warm environment will prove if my fix worked. It is something to consider with small circular layouts.
I have the original Bachmann powered Wheelie bin, but although that runs OK, it is not keen on the old Jouef points now, so I have tried out some alternatives. The Hornby 2BIL motor bogie worked OK, but the finer scale wheels sometimes caused it to derail, so tried a Lima motor bogie, a newish one but pre China and with those deeper flanged wheels it worked fine. The Lima motor, once warmed up with run nice and slow. Graphiting the track helps.
Now I need to get new module built, once my 3D printed track samples arrive. I know roughly what I want but depends on how well the points behave. I do have a plan B though, as I have some Tillig Luna points.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:32 am

Not too many participiants in the 2015 challenge yet. Suppose, most folks have a layout already and do not feel like building one more.

Christian A. from Nuernberg just showed his famous mining layout on about the very small footprint of the 2015 challenge.
http://www.die-feldbahnsinnigen.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1589&p=8959#p8959

He is using Deltang RC / Battery now, which makes the performances more reliable, compared to track power.

Have Fun

Juergen

Simon
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Simon » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:43 pm

Not too many participiants in the 2015 challenge yet.

I wonder if we need to publicise it a little more widely? And if so, where is best to do it?

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:37 pm

Considering we have just got through one of the busiest times of year I think there has been quite a lot of interest. Would not expect everyone to be building anything straight away. Does need some thought, that's why it is a challenge.
As for publicising, again been no real point till editors etc are back at work. I will see what I can do over next few days.I have contacts with British magazines. The RAtty centenary is something that might get attention.
There are quite a few railway modelling online forums out there. I am only a member of a few, but nothing to stop anyone putting something about the challenge on forums they use.

When we tried to get interest in a modular Gn15 layout using APA boxes, there was a lot of talk, but only a little action, yet I have noticed quite a few APA box layouts in other scales .
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15, audio recording, Film Photography

Postby martin » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:10 am

I'm still onboard. And despite Christmas (busiest time of year work wise) and my young family getting in the way and insisting I spend time with them i've managed to get started on a maquette of an idea!

Will maybe post pictures once i'm feeling confident!
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://suttonboningtongallery.com/soar-valley-garden-railway/
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:12 pm

I now have my first samples of 3D printed track, curves 10cm radius, both inset and sleepered. Will post pictures later.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

dtsteam
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Enjoying G Scale since 1976

Postby dtsteam » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:54 am

KEG wrote:Not too many participiants in the 2015 challenge yet.

Excuse me.... New Boy here... the fat middle aged one at the back....!

Is there anything special I have to do to sign up for the challenge ?
[ other than wave your arms around in this topic ]

Do we share progress reports as part of this topic or elsewhere ?

I counted at least 9 engaged people, so decided to join the forum and join in the challenge.

As I sit at my little modelling table, 19" X 15" just fits nicely, so its off to the garage to see whats in the bits box....
David.
G scale... any G scale. Currently playing with 1/10th scale on 45mm = 18" gauge, which is pushing it a bit...

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:49 pm

Hi David, welcome to the Gnuthouse.
If you look at the overall Challengne section you'll see that the convention is for contestants to start their own thread therein. Therefore if there are 6 entries hopefully we'll see 6 threads illustrating the build progress. :wink:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:40 pm

Hi David,

Although a touch off topic I'll add my welcome too and say that, if you're also having fun with 1/10 scale on 45mm have you joined the 7/8ths Lounge? Although this concentrates on 7/8ths scale there is also a section for much larger scales, with postings up to 1/6 scale. Pop on over and have a look here:

http://www.7-8ths.info/index.php

cheers,

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:18 pm

Welcome David,
19 by 15 is a nice comfortable size. By total coincidense I unearthed my old paper challenge layout from 2007, when I as using various fruit and veg cardboard boxes, mostly to one standard size, but the banana box I used is 19in by 15in. These cardboard boxes are pretty strong, and kept layout safe over the years whilst in storage. If I find another I will be very happy, but will probably have to build a box.

It is not unknown to talk about bigger gauges here. Check out my Port d'Étropal layout on my webpage below. That was also for another challenge, not here though.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:35 am

OK, I'm going to give this a shot. Somebody remind me of the deadline please. Also, I can't get on the site reliably, that DNS error keeps showing up. I'm on with the IP backup now.

So, I am going to try to squeeze this 24"x16" module onto a 19"x15" board. I think I can do it by leaving the stream off of the left side. This way I can drop the finished challenge layout into my larger module and it will still work in my overall plan.

Here's the VERY rough sketch of what should happen. The NG passenger station and the NG loco shed would be included. I'm not sure about the switch situation... I really want a turntable, but I might not be able to work it into this one.

Ken

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:06 pm

I was in post office today, and noticed some of their cardboard boxes for sale. One looked pretty close to 19in by 15in, and so I quietly measured it and it was a smitten under 19in by 15in. Pity I have already cut up some fruit boxes, but might be tempted to build another module. The box cardboard is not as strong as the fruit boxes I have used, but given it is designed to go through postal system, must have some strength. if nothing else it would be a good box to put a layout in for storage.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

Postby NotHarryPotter » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:17 pm

Hello Gnatterboxers,

Some progress to report...
I have cut a 19 inch by 15 inch foamcore base.

Have been playing with a end to end mine layout design using 1 LH Peco short radius point and a short Atlas crossing with a . I have bent some rail, and over the weekend will probably start working out which areas of the layout I want raised or cut away.
This is exciting, as I have not yet built a GN15 layout. I envisage a small amount of operation, as in filling and emptying of an ore car. The radius is pretty tight, but a small wheelbase loco based on a trammer could work.

Possibly even a high line leading from a mine to a tipple to fill a mine car. Ambitious I know, but fun to try.

cheers
Geoff Potter :D :D :D
Attachments
gn15 challenge potter 2015 001.jpg
gn15 challenge potter 2015 001.jpg (15.06 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

Pierre Chatelet
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15

Postby Pierre Chatelet » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:06 pm

Nice project. A newbie question: 00/H0 or N track ?

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

Postby NotHarryPotter » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:00 pm

Pierre,

always happy to answer questions if I can. I am a bit of a newbie to Gn15.

The layout will use HO/00-width track on separated (and fewer) On30 Peco sleepers mostly, with an HO/OO Peco LH point, and an old Atlas HO/OO X-crossing.
I pre-bend the rail to tight radius and then slip the sleepers on. I will photograph the rail jig to give you an idea of what it looks like, basically three steel bolts in a block of scrap wood.
The rail is drawn through between the bolts, and will maintain a tight radius, :D

cheers
Geoff
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:40 am

I like it a lot Geoff! You should start a thread for the project so it doesn't get lost when this thread is old stuff. Just copy your post contents into new posts in the new thread. Good to see another start! :D
Ken

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:24 pm

Nevadablue wrote:I like it a lot Geoff! You should start a thread for the project so it doesn't get lost when this thread is old stuff. Just copy your post contents into new posts in the new thread. Good to see another start! :D

Agreed as this thread is unlikely, ever, to be linked to the archive VE section. Individual layout entries will, of course, feature therein.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.

http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:51 pm

This thread was only intended as a launchpad, much better to start new threads on individual layouts. Reminds me, I should start taking some photos of my new effort, once I have checked track will actually work :shock:
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel

Postby AndyA » Tue May 05, 2015 12:13 pm

Okay. After something like two years, I'm back. Long story, but I'm okay.

I'm in. I was going to finish Seal Point, and the rebuilt Amos Gnollys, and I have a project (literally) bequeathed to me by the late Pete Humby. But if you'll excuse the attitude, I think starting something from scratch would help me get back on the horse.

There appears to have been some discussion about a traverser instead of a point or a turntable, that fizzled. Question, then. Since all my attempts at making pointwork have been abject failures, does the turntable need to be big enough to actually turn stuff, or can I just use it for routing? I'm thinking of doing Hedselo Mine, part of the Amos Gnollys back story, just as a loop with a cross-over. Could I use a 32mm poly-pipe turntable that just replaces the cross-over?

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind
gnine: less is the gnew more
GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

Return to “Challengnes”