Tobar Station, my 2015 "1915" Challenge Entry

Caption competitions, competitions run by The Management (ahem) or just a challenge you'd like to set your fellow 'boxers, this is where to put them!

If anyone finds a challengney type thread elsewhere can you PM me the number and I'll carefully copy it over into this forum.

If anyone's wondering why I've done this ... wait and see! :-)

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Tobar Station, my 2015 "1915" Challenge Entry

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:48 am

OK, I'm going to give this a shot. At this point I can't get on the site reliably, that DNS error keeps showing up. I'm on with the IP backup now.

So, I am going to try to squeeze this 24"x16" module onto a 19"x15" board. I think I can do it by leaving the stream off of the left side. This way I can drop the finished challenge layout into my larger module and it will still work in my overall plan.

Here's the VERY rough sketch of what should happen. The NG passenger station (Tobar Station) and the NG loco shed would be included. I'm not sure about the switch situation... I really want a turntable, but I might not be able to work it into this one.

Ken

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Re: Tobar Station, my 2015 "1915" Challenge Entry

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:21 am

gnice start, just remember everything has to be within the 19in by 15in.
I have been checking out various cardboard boxes and surprised how many look bigger but are actually a lot smaller.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:42 pm

I'll do the build on a 19x15 board. Then I can drop it into a larger space after the challenge. I ordered a 3 way switch last night. When it gets here I can decide how the layout will look.
Ken

Simon
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Simon » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:49 pm

Excuse the silly question...but if the turnout is up against the edge of the board, how is it going to operate?

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 am

That was my sketch for the module. I don't have a 3 way switch yet, so I was just drawing...

But... I'm in a motel room now, not much to work with, not even a ruler, however I did scrounge up some scrap paper and found that I CAN fit a turn table in the space and get the result I want. :)

This will give me a working layout, two buildings and some road space for road vehicles.

Ken

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:44 am

I like the look of your turntable version. I have to rethink my layout as I can't do what I want in the space. I'm thinking turntable now!
Chris

Simon
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Simon » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:24 am

I think this might be renamed the 'turn-table challenge'......my design currently has two on it. :D

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:55 pm

:D

I just dug out some CDs and cases. I think I'll go crazy with a new CD turntable design... 3 layers of CD I think. :D
Ken

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways; beer; Goblins

Postby RoGNer » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:02 pm

Looking good Ken - I'll be watching 8)

Roger
Keep it on the Short and Gnarrow!

The Lea Bailey Light Railway - follow us on facebook..

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:19 am

Thanks Roger.

I've managed to make a 2" laminated foam base board and a regular foam board top for it. With the help of the guys at NGRM, I also worked in a 'run around' for the station area, so a loco can disconnect and 'run around' to the other end if the train needs to go that way. I hadn't thought of that option.
It looks like a 3 stall loco shed will fit. If not, I'll reduce it to two stalls. I found a very beautiful stone shed that still exists in Colorado to use as a prototype.
Anyway, here's the latest...

And the updated overall layout...

Ken

Simon
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Simon » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:30 pm

Good to see one of the challenge layouts starting to come to life already!

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:29 pm

Thanks Simon. I figured that even though this diverts me from other 'in progress' stuff, so what? :D I like having a choice of things to work on.

I built the turntable today. I decided to use one of the older, thicker style CD cases because it has a stronger center section and holds the CD more firmly. I removed the liner from the case and trimmed and sanded it smooth on top. A CD case holds the CD up off the bottom to protect the surface of the CD. This allows a lot of wobble, so I fixed that. I took another CD (just the right thickness and CHEAP) and cut the center of it out to fit over the raised center section of the case. This allows the cut CD to fit firmly on the bottom of the case and provide a good, flat support for the turntable CD. Note that the bottom of a CD has a tiny raised ridge around that cutout area. I sanded this flat on BOTH the base CD and the TT CD (TurnTable CD) so they would sit perfectly flat on each other.

After trimming the base CD, I used CA to glue it firmly into the case. Then I took an old Tyco road crossing track and cut it to fit the TT CD.

The MOST WONDERFUL Dental tool was used to carve out clearance on the bottom of the track for the center of the CD case, so the track would fit flat onto the TT CD.

Then the track was glued in place with more CA.

After the glue set, I snapped the TT onto the base and it is PERFECT! No wobble, holds nice and tight. Now to sink it into the foamcore top. Time for commitment to the plan.

The base foam is laminated, 2" thick. The foamcore top is 3/16". That means I'll have to laminate a thin foam section under the top so the TT can be set deep enough without digging into the 2" layer. That puts the surface about 2-9/16" above MBT. (Mean Board Top)
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:54 pm

More news, it turns out I don't need the extra layer of foam, but one CD glued under the TT made it just right. Flush on the top and bottom.

Next to cut some flex track and get that mounted.

Oh, the Loco Shed will be just two bays. Three would be too crowded. I did manage to allow for a short 'siding' in the upper left. That way a loco can be parked out of the way there too.
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:00 pm

This is fun! We have a working layout. :D I laid the track (still need to remove a bunch of ties) and shot a coat of rattle can paint on the board to sort of waterproof it for later painting. Then I erected some barriers at the rail ends, for obvious reasons... :shock: Some fiddling with the RC loco was required. I got my LiPo batteries, but don't have the proper connectors yet, so it is still jury rigged, but it works. I'm having a real time with the video, but here is a screen shot of the current status.

I used the ends of the road crossing track (trimmed for the TT track) as ends for the rails inside the loco shed. I'll make these into stop blocks.

Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:33 am

I've started to design the roundhouse. I'm hoping to use my Model Builder software and copy two sections of this beautiful old relic. It has survived fires and all kinds of obscene things but is still beautiful. The doors are magnificent.

That's the roundhouse in Como, Colorado. It still exists. There are lots of other pics online too. These Pics from this link:

http://www.gly.uga.edu/railsback/BS/BS-Como.html

That was earlier today.

Update:

Close quarters... I've worked out the dimensions for the doors and the front of the building. It will barely work, but it works. I'll have to make the pillars beside the doors narrower, but that will give me the clearance I need. The loco is a bit wide too. I may narrow it slightly (just the front buffer and the footplate). I only need a tiny bit. I did get the thing to go through both doors and down the mainline without snagging anything. Maybe we will have a building frame up tomorrow!
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:43 pm

I started working on the roundhouse.

I was having so much fun I couldn't stop. :D

I'm not sure yet about windows. Must decide about the stonework on the front and how the doors will work. I noticed that when they restored the doors on the prototype, they stopped the door at the arch. The arched part is no longer part of the opening doors. Too bad... Mine will be arched.
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:02 pm

I darn near ruined my building! I'm sure that you guys who have done lots of modeling already know this, but

FOR THE NEWBIE MODEL MAKERS LIKE ME... CA (SUPERGLUE) EATS THE FOAM OUT OF FOAMCORE BOARD!!!

I make my foamcore buildings using rubber cement and straight pins to hold the sides and all together. I decided to be 'nice' to this little building and ran a bead of CA around the roof seam. OMG!!! It ate the foam away everywhere it touched it. Grrr.... It isn't ruined, but I'm not a happy camper about it. Repairs under way.

I had to make my own arches for the doors. The picture of the original wouldn't print at anything but some sick green color. So, I made my own. It will work I think.

There is a danger zone now at this corner. Trains on the mainline must STOP if the door on the East (near the tracks) side of the roundhouse is open. (maybe I should model this one crushed... :D

Closed, it will be fine of course. Now to laminate the doors and figure out hinges. That's tape holding the test door.

I think I will darken the arch stones and make a 'capstone' top on the walls to match.
Ken

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:13 pm

There are some superglues that don't eat foam. They cost more than the regular CA. It usually better to laminate with some kind of white or yellow glue on foam, or card.
David(Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:18 pm

Thanks Doc! I usually use rubber cement since it drys fast and I can keep working. I also glue the 'textures' (rocks, siding, etc) with it too. Seems to work great. This is Gorilla Glue CA. I hate it. Drys slow and generally expensive crap, IMO. I use Loctite brand now, but I had this to use up. Mistake it was! :shock:

But no harm in the long run. Now I know...
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:29 pm

This outrageously expensive and extravagant building for a town in the middle of nowhere is getting windows. The owner of the company has a friend in the construction business and decided to import a stone mason from San Francisco. Sigh... Anyway, here's the first window. The supporting pillar between the doors is being strengthened too.

Ken

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:39 pm

Almost looks churchlike. Protects the loco and the drivers :| from all danger.
David (Doc)
If the town Selectmen (and women) can find the bucks, maybe stained glass?
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:33 pm

I'm saving that for the Church! One of my previous hobbies (and my Dad's) was stained glass window making. So, I'll definitely have stained glass around.

I'm considering making my own window inserts so they can be 'see through'. The picture shows the original window stuck in the frame.
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:52 am

The module is unfinished of course, but here is a video of the herky jerky loco on the first test of the turntable.

http://youtu.be/YQrFkU8sJBI
Ken

Nipissing
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Trains. What else ?

Postby Nipissing » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:08 am

Nevadablue wrote:The module is unfinished of course, but here is a video of the herky jerky loco on the first test of the turntable.
http://youtu.be/YQrFkU8sJBI

Like me ! Never finished a project...but that the way I like it ! :lol:
Thanks for the video.
Have a nice day :D

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:05 pm

That little loco is built on a poor chassis. It is jerky because of the motor, not the radio gear. The Deltang radio when used on a proper chassis is just perfect. You can start slowly and ease into a place readily.
Ken

Return to “Challengnes”