Gerry Bullock Challengne.

Caption competitions, competitions run by The Management (ahem) or just a challenge you'd like to set your fellow 'boxers, this is where to put them!

If anyone finds a challengney type thread elsewhere can you PM me the number and I'll carefully copy it over into this forum.

If anyone's wondering why I've done this ... wait and see! :-)

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Gerry Bullock Challengne.

Postby Nevadablue » Sun May 29, 2016 9:19 pm

I think it is time to have another 'Challengne'. :lol:

I propose an annual Gerry's Challengne to honor his memory and make him and us smile. How about no rules except that the thing starts over every January 1. If we start the 2016 event now, we have until the end of the year to make something that would make Gerry Smile.

Choose something and work on it and show us what you have done.

Let's Go!

If you didn't know Gerry, look up his posts. Have fun and start with the oldest. Then work on something that makes you and hopefully him happy.
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Re: Gerry Bullock Challengne.

Postby Nevadablue » Mon May 30, 2016 2:43 am

I've decided that I need a Vitacress Loco. Should be a useful addition to my layout.

That pic is Gerry's. I also found the printy for it.
Ken

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Mon May 30, 2016 4:48 am

Nevadablue wrote:I think it is time to have another 'Challengne'. :lol:

That's a great idea Ken.

It's putting a smile on my face already. I only hope what I come up with does the same for GB.

Bestest,

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon May 30, 2016 9:45 am

wondered how long it would take for someone to come up with this. I held back because I suggested the last challenge and that did not get that far.

Only problem with free for all, is that it does not really challenge, but at least it is a start.
For me, probably getting the TukTuk model back running(one of Gerry's early Gn15 models), not that is much of a challenge, but maybe I could add a GB plate on it, obviously that does not stand for Great Britain in this case!
It is a pity Gerry never had himself 3D scanned, then we could have a miniature Gerry on our layouts. Something to think about for others.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Mon May 30, 2016 7:53 pm

Simon, I like the idea of the challenges, but it seems that something always gets in the way and becomes the 'priority'. For myself, I really don't care how long it takes to build something. Last year's challenge is still stewing as is my own challenge to myself: to build a loco in honor of Verne Niner. Someday, those may be finished too.

I also feel that setting too many rules is not in the interest of the hobby. Fun can come in many forms and I've seen people hold back and not start something for fear of breaking the 'rules'.

Anyway, this was just an idea. Hopefully it will trigger some more activity here again.

Oh, there are a couple of pretty good pictures of Gerry in some of the old threads. I will attempt to create a 'likeness', hopefully it won't be too grotesque of a likeness. :D

Ken

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue May 31, 2016 11:55 am

love the picture. Would be great if someone did do a figure!

One of the things I kike about challenges is that they challenge. Fitting OO9 in a box file might be a challenge for some but it is more of a challenge to fit a working Gn15 layout in one. Unfortunately one of my mini layouts did not get far. Gerry did contact me when he was compiling the archive section, but I had to tell him I had put it on hold. Now maybe that should be my challenge. I have the bits somewhere, and with my 3D printed track it would be easier to do. I might just use my design and start afresh.
The Swanley yearly challenge always gets me thinking, although I am still to actually enter, partly because of difficulty in getting there for the day.

Apart from the challenge of designing models for 3D printing(well finding a chassis is the real challenge), I am planning that most of my new layouts will fit in suitcase for easy transport. I think the one I was working on, might fit, but it will have to wait till next year. This year has to be the Tuk Tuk. Not much but at least it has a connection to Gerry.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Tue May 31, 2016 4:10 pm

I like your ideas.

Tuk Tuk... One of my favorite vehicles. When I lived in Nicaragua (most of '08), they were everywhere. I would love to have one where I live now. Neat contraptions...
Ken

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:09 pm

Hi all, somewhat belated but I haven't really been following this forum for a while and have only recently read the sad news about Gerry, I never met him in real life but admired his work and his fun approach to model making, and he did a huge amount to keep this forum going. I like the idea of a challenge in his memory, not sure what form it should take though. Perhaps for me it could be just to get my arse in gear, dust off the tool kit, do a bit of model making and contribute something again...

Ian
Ian K
Be seeing you...

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:21 am

I think you have the idea and spirit of the 'Challengne' Ian.
Ken

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:26 am

Perhaps for me it could be just to get my arse in gear, dust off the tool kit, do a bit of model making and contribute something again...

I hope, you don´t expect that someone of us has to pass away, whenever you have a personal crisis with your modelling. There ar better ways to motivate ones self.

I doubt that it is legal to use Gerry Bullocks name for a challenge without permission of his family.

I propose to declare May 18th every year as "Gerry Bullock Memorial Day". A chance for every Gnatterboxer to say thank your for all the inspiration Gerry has given many of us for many years.

Have Fun

Juergen

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Thu May 18, 2017 9:22 pm

Gerry
Gone but not forgotten.
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Sat May 20, 2017 8:43 pm

Time to run a Gerry Bullock Memorial Train. Gerry sold me this Little Red Beast many, many years ago.

Thank you Gerry for all you gave and taught us.

Have Fun

Juergen

Return to “Challengnes”