Just an update on my (slow) progress......
First the jib....I decided that it needed one of those thingymajigs that tells the operator how much they can lift at different angles.
The plate was just a piece of plasticard while the pointer is fashoned from brass bar shaped with a 'Dremel' type tool fitted with a cutting disk. The pointer is held in position with a Peco track pin.
To check if the indicator was actually working I lowered the jib and.........
While the angle pointer did the right thing ... Ooooops
... The jib lifting chain caught on the top edge of the cabin ... this is not a good thing
However a few bits of ply provided a channel for the chain to flow though and allowed the jib to lower further.
(Thinks to self ... must really produce drawings of these things to avoid this sort of Ooopsical
The hook is made from a small brass screw eye and a lead fishing weight, with the usual paint & graphite treatment.
Well ... could not find a suitable screw eye so I had to use the 'brass carving' method to produce my own hook.
Although I did use a commercial block and pully that has been sitting in the spares box for more years than I can remember.
I had to have a pully on the hook otherwise it could twist around and it would be impossible to hook onto anything.
With a fishing weight these item glued together made the hook.
Unfortunately it was while drilling the weight I pressed a little too hard on the pliers and then had to spend sometime filling up the gouges that I had produced.
The next major job is to build the PCB with the DCC/motor interface ... why do I do this to myself