(F) The 2009 Snowflake Challenge -- Gn15 Crane

Caption competitions, competitions run by The Management (ahem) or just a challenge you'd like to set your fellow 'boxers, this is where to put them!

If anyone finds a challengney type thread elsewhere can you PM me the number and I'll carefully copy it over into this forum.

If anyone's wondering why I've done this ... wait and see! :-)

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:12 am

So here goes

First coat basic colour chalkboard green.
Scott B

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:35 am

Is the frame a casting and how did you achieve the "hammerite" finish on it?

The frame is plasticard, two layers with cutouts in one for the recessed bits - I was aiming for a cast-iron look. It was sprayed green then, when dry, given a dusting with graphite powder using a soft brush. The spottly effect is the result of using a dodgy aerosol that kept jamming and sputtering, I ended up with more paint on my hands that on the model from unblocking the nozzle. Actually I'm pretty ham-fisted when it comes to painting and this is typical of me - mess about until a useable effect emerges by chance.

I may have started painting first but I've still got a lot of building to do, I just wanted to see what the bits I'd done looked like painted.

There is a bit of logic to it too I suppose, once the centre bit is stuck together properly I wont be able to get at the bits inside to paint them, and I intend the gearing to work so need to make sure they dont get gummed up with paint.
Ian K
Be seeing you...

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:47 pm

Well chaps.....

I no longer have to hold my head in shame? Finally I've managed to get this wee little beastie to point where it can be unveiled to the public.

As can be seen, my solutions are born out of the sort of environment I intend for it to inhabit. Namely an estate railway run by an increasingly eccentric aristocrat and an already at best irascible and potentially eccentric engineer.

So basically I wanted to put together something that could be built within the confines of a small Foundry - Blacksmiths and Engineers.
I'm imagining slightly agricultural yet innovative, elegant and idiosyncratic solutions to plenty of problems posed by a working estate desperately trying to earn its keep......... I mean - come on!...... These guys have already come up with the PTO and Compressor wagons.

Here we go then................

As can be seen from these pics, the outriggers are simply swung out to the appropriate angle in order to gain maximum stability.

Again as can be seen ... once the outriggers have been swung out, the feet which are carried on the wagon deck are placed under and the legs are wound down and into the feet by simple brace.
It was designed? - so that all four feet could be extended to give maximum rigidity across the lifting platform.
Obviously a little more dressing-up to do, must organise a few doodads to make the deck look groovy and industrial but basically on to the crane part itself now.

Once again I'm trying to come up with something elegant yet clumsy - easy peasy - huh!
KBO .......................... Andi.

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modeling Narrow Gauge Railways,

Postby Trevor Coburn » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:50 pm

Looks good Andi, but don't forget you will need to have a wagon to carry the packing else this sort of thing happens :shock:

The pad went straight through the concrete :twisted:

So lots of bits of wood:

(But still went through the concrete) :evil: :evil: :twisted:
Trevor
Member of The Royal Institute of Grumpy Old Men

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:17 pm

Well slap me with a kipper, I've been searching the internet for piccys of cranes and all along there was a nice one a couple of miles from where I live that I didn't know about :shock:.

Thanks to Commerlad for pointing me in the right direction, I had a fun time this afternoon clambering about on it working out what all the bits did :D

Ian K

Be seeing you...

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:39 am

One more:

Greetings

Chris
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:38 pm

... I intend the gearing to work ...

If I ever say anything like that again will somebody please shoot me :|

Finally stuck the middle bit together, and got things more-or-less working. A frustratingly fiddly process so I thought I'd better take some photos before I threw the thing out the window and took up knitting.

The ratchet, ratcheting ...
... and released:

The brake, loose and applied:

Winding the crank:

Pity I forgot to make any allowance for attaching the stays that hold up the jib :shock: :oops:

Oh well, I'll fudge something :roll: :lol:

Just need to finish the jib, add the counterweight and mount the lot on a wagon. Hopefully that will be a bit less fiddly...
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:30 pm

Anyway, back to the model. I've made a bit of progress on the wagon deck and outriggers:

Similar layout to Andi's model, just a bit of parallel evolution though, honest Guv!

The deck is a simple plasticard box with the planking scribed then detail bits stuck on:

Ian K

Be seeing you...

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:46 am

Just an update on my challenge crane.

First the winch for the lifting hook cable.

This was assembled on a sub-base. The power is from a micro-motor and gearhead driving a lay shaft via a set of bevel gears with a couple of spur gears driving the drum shaft. The drum shaft runs in 2mm eyelets (not sure where THEY came from. Wish I could find some more). The side frames were cut from 1.5mm plastic sheet and because it would be impossible later everything was given a coat of paint before assembly.

The finished winch stuck firmly to the crane base.

The next bit was the jib. I wanted a moving jib with an open lattice type construction so a quick raid on the plastic rod/shapes box found some suitable I and angle beams and a pleasant afternoon was spent producing the following:

top view....

and bottom view....

Looking at the pictures I wonder if I should add more angles to the top of the jib :?:

As I like the 'enclosed' style of crane the next part of the construction is the cabin.

The sides are 1mm aircraft ply (expensive to buy but a little goes a long way). The windows are framed with Northeastern scale lumber with the cross frames done in the same material.

The cabin itself is only 5 scale feet high to keep the proportions looking sort of right which means that I will have to find a -small- operator to fit inside.

Caution this next bit contains electro techno babble.......

I have also been experimenting with the DCC decoder which will control the whole thing. I have, I think, got the final circuit Gnutted out. The crane will be able to swivel through 360 degrees in either direction using the loco speed controls. The jib and hook winches will be controlled by functions 1, 2 & 3. F1 selecting which winch is to be controlled and F2 & F3 used to wind up and down. There will be a 'strobe' light on the roof to comply with 'H & S regulations' and its rate of flash will indicate to the operator which winch is active. There will also be a work light on the front of the cabin that will, of course, work.

This was all done with 1 decoder (Digitrax DH163) 5 resistors, 4 zener diodes and a relay (in a pear tree !).

One problem that I cannot see an answer to, is how to motorise the outriggers. There just isn't enough room in the chassis to mount the motors and gear boxes :!: I might just take the lazy way out and leave them off.

The next part of the project is to build the jib winch (the required motor with gearhead arrived on christmas eve) and assemble the cabin.
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

PeterH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Railway history, drinking beer

Postby PeterH » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:44 am

At last, something with wheels. Introducing three basic chassis for, from left to right, my crane proper, the boiler and the tender.

Overseas suppliers of railway equipment were far from New Zealand, and an item from overseas tended to be expensive, took a long time to arrive, on arrival might be damaged or unsuitable. The government railway developed its own workshops and the rest made do, if possible, with what could be made locally.

Hence, a style evolved, using mostly timber and built on site. Metal parts were kept to a minimum and made by local foundries. Only the minimum was sourced overseas (in particular V-skip wagons). I want to model this style, and so find I need to work in a similar way - and not use kits from overseas. Hence this, made of wood and card.

The bearings are brass tube with paper wrapped around and/or wood strips glued along - to make a piece about 100 mm long. I then cut off 4 mm lengths for each bearing. I was surprised that the wheelsets run freely, probably because the axle is 2 mm and the tube ID is 2.1 mm. The boiler wagon steel frame is from aluminium lithography plate, with card glued on so that I can then attach the bearings and spacers with PVA.
Peter

joe gilmartin
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: railroads fishing hunting austin healys

9" gauge crane

Postby joe gilmartin » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:33 pm

Hello Chaps
Hoping to avoid this ... But

Received this Telegram today

Jos
Need help at Hookers ... stop
work load to heavy ... stop
find crane ..9" immediately work at halt ... stop
Gordon

So off we go ... no money for purchase (having spent all of next years allotment). We've started to build a crane for the 9" IGI line.

Lets see what we have. Ah!! A frame from a disused loco .. just push in the wheels, various gears, pulleys, spare parts left over from an unbuilt Sawmill (shipped from the US CH Brommer Co. I believe), a welder, some pipe, a little plate and beam -- well let's have a go

Raw beginnings more to follow

cheers
JH Gilmartin

Sole owner/operator
Moskito Coast Transfer Line

joe gilmartin
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Making a start

Postby joe gilmartin » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:10 pm

Well gents ...
A little time and a little effort and some parts of the Gnine crane is starting (in fits & starts).

Got the gearing on the boom hoist set a start on the boom itself

Main Gear and platform start

Now to design the main hoist mech. and figure out the weights

Cheers
JH Gilmartin

Sole owner/operator

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Rowland Emett influenced O-16.5 modelling. Occasional GN15 modelling. Sheds.

Postby Kevin » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:48 pm

Time to throw my hat in the ring.

First the inspiration.

The basic parts.

Hopefully the deadline should make me get on with it.
Railway Modelling inspired by the Holy Trinity of Rowland Emett, Colonel Fred Stephens and Oliver Postgate.

Also postmaster for The Gower Islands Postal Service.

joe gilmartin
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Gnine crane

Postby joe gilmartin » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:58 pm

Hello gents ...

Just a couple pics to show rotator mechanism before I cover it up with diamond plate, the gear post rotates as the top is slewed around

Still figuring out the lift system trying to delay the rivet stage!!
JH Gilmartin

Sole owner/operator

PeterH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby PeterH » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:10 am

Here is - almost - the tender for the boiler for my steam crane:

Image Image

Above the water tank is the firewood rack, holding mill slabs - the odd shaped bits of wood left over after a round tree is cut into rectangular planks ... and therefore cheap. The fireman will stand on the platform on the left to toss the slabs into the boiler, and at the back is the stove to heat cups of tea and lunch.
Peter

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Pauls Crane Entry

Postby DCRfan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:18 am

How does it go: 'Houston we have a problem'. It's a long story but with a few pictures I'll save some time.

So like everyone else start with the wagon. This one was to be recycled from a wood carrier.

Next collect the parts.

The one thing I needed to buy was the crane so off to the shop. The shop assistant, a new immigrant had limited English but 'OK, OK kane for kane, I get' he responded to my concerned questioning. Anyway he handed me a small package with instructions for care.

Then the wood bolsters were removed so assembly could start

Now you may just see my little problem entering the picture.
I know I ordered a Crane !

But when the egg hatched I had a Pukeko :?

This is just not the Crane on the wagon I was hoping for :wink:

Paul
Gnu Zealand

Craig
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15

Postby Craig » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:25 am

This is my first post. Hope all goes well. Good luck to us all...

Well DCR (Paul); half way around the world and it looks like I got the same salesperson as you!

I don't recall seeing a scale specified in the "rules" but the BVM flat is On30 and the crane is about 1/12 scale, so on an average it's all 1/24th. :wink:

Anyway, with all the GREAT builds out there this is the best I could do...
Last edited by Craig on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace
That's not a forehead, it's a fivehead!

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:20 pm

I'm getting somewhere near with my non-feathery crane now:

Ian K

Be seeing you...

PeterH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby PeterH » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:22 am

... and now the boiler for my steam crane:

The wagon on the left will eventually have the crane, and the end of the boiler rests on the crane wagon to weigh it down so it does not tip over when it lifts heavy loads. Not that gN15 loads tend to be heavy - a couple of card printies should do it. The crane operator stands on the platform at the left end of the boiler.

Many thanks to DCRfan for sending me many prototype photos of New Zealand steam equipment, including this, a Vulcan portable boiler now in a museum:

The boiler arrangement is unusual for railway boilers, but typical for steam log haulers, with the firebox doors under the funnel:

The firebox is a cylinder running the full length of the boiler - to burn long chunks of wood. The housing at the not-funnel end of the boiler turns the heat from the boiler through 180 degrees to go through the boiler pipes to the funnel.
Peter

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:58 am

I have joined my cabin sides together and painted them. Although they still need a number of external details added.

I have also included a dashboard. Not sure if that is what a prototype one would look like but I think it is at least 'believable'. Not even sure if it will be visible.

Have also been working on the mechanics.......

This is the winch what lifts the jib together with the frame that guides the chain from the winch over the cabin.

And this is how it looks on the rotating base and then with the cabin in place.

The next major job is to tidy-up the electrics and try and fit them into the cabin. This is why I haven't put the glazing in place yet. If it looks too untidy through the windows I will just glaze it with opaque material so nobody can see in.

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

I might be daft but not stupid.

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:30 pm

I've managed to take a few pic's of the job - assembled-ish with blu-tac etc just to give everyone the idea of what it is I'm striving for?

The lack of gear wheels forced me to concoct the epicyclic scenario so it has enclosed gears, everyone else had already used all the good sexy ideas so I went the way of chains and rods for the boom lift. I've struggled to represent the notion of a cast frame too..... in my head the story is that this is a secondhand post frame that's been mounted on a wagon and this explains the rather "largish" nature of the beast......

The excuses go on and on for some time yet so I'll post the pic's so far ... and here you go!

As you can imagine, and see! There's a long way to go yet, it needs several more critical pieces....... handles and stay bars, loads of detaily bits - actually the more I think about it the more it needs - groan!

It is fun actually but my habit of just modelling in the hands has bit me more than once on this project as I've stalled because I've ended up modelling my way up an engineering cul-de-sac only to have to unpick everything and start again.

But hey-ho! if it was simple we wouldn't do it would we???

Cheers all

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Rowland Emett influenced O-16.5 modelling. Occasional GN15 modelling. Sheds.

Postby Kevin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:12 pm

Well, here goes with my entry for the Snowflake Challenge and my first GN15 model.
I’m not sure about the build quality but my Emett Mangle Crane is finished and looks almost like I expected. I’m probably happier with the wagon than with the quality of the actual crane so first, here is a photo of the bare wagon.

The wagon is an old Triang chassis that I have had for about 30 years. Buffers and couplings were removed and the body was built up from balsa. Gears are from the bits box and are from the usual sources, salvaged toys, tape players, etc.

The complete model.

The mangle is the only thing I paid for. It is a 1/24th dolls house model. Nicely detailed but a bit delicate.

I hope that this is not too much of a caricature for the Challenge. In my defence, I might have possibly redeemed myself by making the turntable actually turn. I was planning it to have a fixed position and add dummy cogs but I thought that I should give it a go and the crank handle now turns the turntable.

I'm also quite pleased with the display base which I knocked up the other day. IMHO, it has a sort of Dungeness fish railway look to it.

The display base is a piece of hardboard and a chunk of expanded polystyrene with a card top and sides. The track is made from balsa sleepers and a length of ancient Hornby rail.
The rusty effect was very easy to achieve. Store track somewhere nice and damp for about 30 years and there you go, job done.

The ground cover is a sludgy mix of sawdust, paint and PVA. A handful of stones were sprinkled over the top when still wet. After a couple of days, the whole thing set quite solid.

After building the wagon part of the crane and being quite pleased with the outcome, I've started to work my way through my stash of Hornby 00 rolling stock and get on with a bit of kit bashing.
Railway Modelling inspired by the Holy Trinity of Rowland Emett, Colonel Fred Stephens and Oliver Postgate.

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Kevin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:12 am

Here is an overall view.

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Re: Snowflake Challengne

Postby Little Andi. » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:19 pm

Is the colourful jib on your crane made from a chopstick?

It is in fact something a bit simpler if not a bit more abstract?

The blue hexagonal bit is the body to one of those cheap propelling pencils, this was then scarfed to a portion of a paintbrush handle. Once it was all dry and firmed up I simply sanded the hex' onto and along the handle till the natural taper took over. The idea being that this is a hollow cast piece so we're looking for strength and light weight... especially at the wafty end - with the resultant taper for weight saving but with the added support of the rod and chain lifting mechanism.

(Or of course it could just be a bit of planed and turned timber??)

As I've said before, it might not be a viable solution in the real world - but it works a treat in my head!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:43 am

Model making time has been a bit lacking here recently so I'm going to declare my crane finished (except for couplings, I'll add them when I decide what sort to use). I've just had a bit of a fiddle with painting since the last update, here are a few piccys of the crane on its own...

... and a couple in action :roll:

Ian K

Be seeing you...

Return to “Challengnes”