(F) The 2009 Snowflake Challenge -- Gn15 Crane

Caption competitions, competitions run by The Management (ahem) or just a challenge you'd like to set your fellow 'boxers, this is where to put them!

If anyone finds a challengney type thread elsewhere can you PM me the number and I'll carefully copy it over into this forum.

If anyone's wondering why I've done this ... wait and see! :-)

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

(F) The 2009 Snowflake Challenge -- Gn15 Crane

Postby Little Andi. » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:47 pm

Hi all.............

It is hoped this will form an allcomers event and simply because it takes place over Christmas I've called it the SNOWFLAKE CHALLENGE!!

The deadline will be 3 months from NOW!!

So that's 2010; February the 18th @ 16.00hrs.

Model to be based upon the Sidelines flat wagon [catalogue no - SL002] - or the dimension equivilant = 53 x 32mm platform.

The Model to-wit will be representative of a crane or lifting device, using the aforementioned dimensions as a base - these may not be altered but mechanical extensions are permissable.

Open to all comers - First prize - Bragging rights!

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:12 pm

As always I'm late for the party

This all was triggered off by these pictures posted by Marc Reusser

Feel free to post any others you find as inspiration for us all
Last edited by gfadvance on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon F

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:21 pm

Here is a French Pechot crane, offered by Wrightscale some years ago, on a 45mm chassis:

Might be a bit large for an tiny Gn15 wagon

Have Fun

Juergen

Woodworm
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Modelling

Postby Woodworm » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:38 pm

I still have a picture of a green crane:

Regards Reiner
Think not what the forum can do for you,
but what you can do for the Forum.
Reiner

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:01 am

Marc has also come up with some more info on this one:

And a couple of detail shots:

Last edited by gfadvance on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon F

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:34 am

For those interested in making the "green crane" could it get any easier ........... :lol:

General and detailed shots and now the plan originally drawn by Tom Yorke

Last edited by gfadvance on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon F

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:37 pm

Ok, here's my general scribbling so far...

Trying to work out how it all fits together in 3D is making my brain hurt so I think I'll just pile in to the build now and make it up as I go along...
(Disclaimer: Any, all or none of the details in the sketch may, or may not, appear in the finished model)
Ian K
Be seeing you...

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:38 pm

Can't remember how someone described it but I'm pretty determined for this challenge not to slavishly copy a real image but instead try and free up my limited imagination.

As my drawing skills are also severely limited - here instead is a picture of a collection of parts which may end up in this project.

Working on the basis that this little railway needs a crane, but can't afford to buy one or even buy the parts ... but they do have a lot scrap and odds and sorts lying around so the challenge is build something that will work from what they have kicking around.
Gordon F

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:49 pm

OK, had a couple of hours this afternoon so made a little progress, no apologies for the presentation, why not copy good ideas;-

"Jock" surveys the spare wagon chassis, whilst he has a lot of time for the manufacturer he's not sure that the basic wooden structure will be up to the additional stresses of a crane?

As Jock spent his apprenticeship in the shipyards back home in Glasgow he's inclined to over-engineer modifications and use the largest rivets he can lay his hands on.

Here he has added additional steel beams all round as well a central beam to take the crane pivot.

Having found some spare non-slip plate, that's now been added as well as a dummy pivot to aid construction.

Jock is struggling with the base of the crane, he really fancies some form of geared turntable but his first find looks as though it would give him problems as to how to mount the crane?

A further check through the junk heap found another geared base which not only seems to fit better but Jock thinks he can see how to fit the next bits on.

Jock is convinced like all Scots that he has relatives scattered all around the world - especially in Canada and Australia & New Zealand, so if anybody out there thinks they may be related please get in touch.
Gordon F

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:17 pm

Jock's been struggling today with other jobs but has managed an hour or so on the crane.

As the base plate and the crane base has been sorted he decided to fix these bits permanently in place. He also fitted some roller bearings and then the main bearing plate for the crane to be bolted on to ... Jock had decided that he wanted all the gearing easily accessible for maintenance and greasing.

However a visit from the local HSSE man changed that idea, he made the point that all that exposed gearing may have been alright in Victorian times but not nowadays and that Jock would have to fit some form of shielding.
After a bit of muttering he came up with these modifications.

That extra large bolt in the centre is one left over from the shipyard days and even Jock knows it will have to be changed!

Probably going to be a slow down on progress for next couple of days, original thoughts were to use some old rail that was lying around for the main boom but it has turned out to be too heavy so an alternative will have to be found.

Jock is also concerned about the weight of the counterweight that will be required. He had thought of filling a barrel with a cement mixture but not only is the barrel too big but filled with cement will be far too heavy. He does have some old 5 gallon drums which he is going to fill with cement and experiment with those ... then there is the issue of how to attach them, etc, etc. ... and he had thought he had figured out most of the problem, oh well.
Gordon F

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:42 am

The chassis has been started... for heavy duty work I decided that a six wheel chassis was required.
Side frames from 1.5mm styrene.
Still needs axle boxes.
Romford brass pin point bearings.
Wheels ... turned wheels with insulating axle muff. (Walthers #933-870)
( nd no its not dead, just laying on its back to get the sun.)

Top view showing where the gear will fit.

By using the brass bearings and the wheels that I have chosen it only needs a thin wire soldered to the bearings to provide power to the DCC chip.

This photo shows the chassis with the power wires coming through the floor and also the two motors with gearheads that I intend to use.
The only (major) problem is that the motors are 3 volts only and DCC is about 12 volts.

Not yet sure what the crane itself will look like but have a few ideas.
Guess that it will just grow, like most of my creations.
I have already built a working crane in SM32 (1/19th on32mm track) but that had an enclosed cab and was a lot bigger all-round.
Must admit that I like the idea of the operator sitting on the actual 'crane' and having a steam/petrol engine to do the hard work.
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:40 pm

I'm just toodling on with my basic small hand crane, haven't got a lot done yet but decided to start in the middle and work out. I need some big finger-chomping gears and after a bit of rummaging I found some Lego Technic that fits the bill, not sure if it's been mentioned here before but they do a range of bits that could be adapted for Gn15. Here's a medium size gear as found and modified:

(The scale is in inches, if you don't know what they are ask an old person :roll: )
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:26 pm

So please do tell us how you got from start to finish. :?

Anyway, the gear - I cut out the middle and smoothed inside the rim, then cut a plasticard disc to fit in the hole. To cut discs I put a craft knife in an old compass, the sort designed to grip a pencil. It seems to work best if you run the blade backwards so it scores rather than cutting (aim for swarf), and hold the compass still and rotate the plastic so you can keep an even pressure. It's quite slow going but you should end up with a reasonably neat circle, and as a bonus the compass point leaves a nice centred pilot hole. I then cut out six cheese-wedge shapes from the disc to leave a six spoke and hoop shape, and opened up the central hole to take 2mm wire, then glued this into the toothed rim. A short piece of tube was stuck on either side to form the hub, then the ribs on the spokes were added from microstrip. It's a bit fiddly but I only need a couple and I like the chunky teeth on the lego gears, most gears from toy cars etc seem to have much finer teeth.
Ian K

Be seeing you...

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:38 am

Already the ideas and photos being included are great... had already planned to build more than one but two may not be enough....... Jock's very taken with that steam boiler and all gears, cogs and rivets :)

Jock's still tinkering, has managed to build the counter weight platform and he has started the jib.............

Couple of detail shots, Jock's need of whimsy means that bolts ,rivets and strengthening plates are being added wherever required or even when not!

As Jock said the origonal plan had been to use a 45 gallon barrel but that proved too big, so he has played around with some small ex 5 gallon drums.

Gordon F

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:47 pm

Anyway, sneaked over the wall and got this photo of Jock.

Think he's checking out how the jib attaches on to the main body.......... don't think he has any idea of how to sort the mechanism for raising both the load and the jib :roll:

Gordon F

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:42 am

Jock has struggled with the winch elements ... if truth be told think he was out with some of his early measurements which left little room to fit the remaining bits in. Anyway his mate Jamie found an old electric winch which he has manged to get working again ... Jock's not good with electrics!
Here the two of them check final fitting of the winch

I managed to sneak a couple of close-ups of the fittings ... from the look of it Jock could do with reducing the size of some of the bolts he is using :lol:

I reckon they might get it finished this week ... looks like they need to sort power for the winch, what to use for counter weight and the jib lifting pulley but think Jock's solved the major points now :D
Last edited by gfadvance on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon F

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:41 am

So in basically what was almost an all night session Jock made significant progress ... after completing the repair work to the damaged sections.

Couple of update photos

and an overhead look from the shed roof

With a busy day ahead and little sleep would be surprised to see further progress from Jock today, although Jamie did say he would pop in and wire up battery, etc for the hoist.

He's still not sure about the counter weight and of course as always at this stage of a build we can't decide what colour it should be painted?
Gordon F

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:12 pm

I'm in, here is my start

Scott B

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:37 pm

Well Jock's finished construction ... he's just waiting for the tickets and them he's off to New Zealand to help them out there.

As you can see after advice from the Gnatterbox guru, he's gone for the water tank counterweight complete with picture nail filler cap ... wonder where that idea came from :?:

Jock added stabilisers from scaffold poles and some converted axle stands .... these are removable and would normally be carried in the works wagon which accompanies the crane.

Now he's finished, crane will go off to paint shop ...... although there was talk of sending it off to Taiwan, it will probably be painted at home though they are a bit behind in the paint shop so it will probably not re-appear to January at the earliest, then we might be able to get that engine back into Tich/Tiny :!:
Gordon F

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:00 pm

I'm tootling on slowly with my hand crane, here's where I'm up to so far:

Just a trial assembly to make sure things fit, so a bit wonky. The counterweight for the ratchet needs moving to avoid a clash with one of the axles but most of it's ok.

I still need to add some sort of brake acting on the drum next to the ratchet and a handle on the shaft sticking out to the left. The plan is to get the twiddly bits in the middle working then build the rest of the crane round that...
Ian K

Be seeing you...

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby scott b » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:46 pm

A bit further along with the challenge although according to wife I`ve always been challenged.

and a bit closer detail

still lots to do, needs to be mounted :shock: and lots of nbw`s. The hook needs to be started and some cable found and wound but the basic shape is there so it may sit for a bit while other things catch my fancy.
Scott B

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:28 am

G'day all

I am not nearly as fast as some of the others but I have passed my first major milestone.

A coaxial commutator has been fitted to the wheeled base and brushes fitted to the base of the crane. The slew motor has also been fitted to the base.

A temporary hardwired connection between the brushes and the motor allowed for testing.
3V connected to the track went through the wheels, through the commutator and brushes and into the motor to provide the following action in the video.

All I need now is to fit the lift motor, build the jib, build the DCC interface and then I can start on the cosmetic stuff...........

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

I might be daft but not stupid.

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby scott b » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:58 am

Update on my challenge, added some more rivets (although I did not count them) and NBW`s and a pivoting mount to the wagon, a few more bits, a crank handle and cable and it`s off to paint.

Scott B

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:39 pm

I must admit I'm surprised by the variety of designs coming up, there's some imaginative stuff going on and some very nice models - all good stuff :D

Here's my effort so far:

It's turning into a bit of a jigsaw puzzle - spot the mistake putting it together :roll:
Ian K

Be seeing you...

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby scott b » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:10 pm

Update with all the nbw`s and cable added, from the other side

I had planned to do some painting today but the wind is howling and the snow/sleet/rain is coming down sideways so the quick spray base in the carport is out.
Scott B

Return to “Challengnes”