A Gn15 LAYOUT SNOWFLAKE CHALLENGE

Caption competitions, competitions run by The Management (ahem) or just a challenge you'd like to set your fellow 'boxers, this is where to put them!

If anyone finds a challengney type thread elsewhere can you PM me the number and I'll carefully copy it over into this forum.

If anyone's wondering why I've done this ... wait and see! :-)

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

A Gn15 LAYOUT SNOWFLAKE CHALLENGE

Postby Adrian » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:38 am

G'day Guys and Girls.

Reading about the decline in the actual modelling of Gn15 layouts I decided, with the blessing of Emrys, to institute a Pizza layout challenge in Gn15 to try and reverse this trend.

So how about a (rather long term) challenge for a snow covered, pizza style layout for 2013 ?

The rules would be nice and simple:- (just like me)
1] Gn15 only
2] Layout to be any size and shape providing it fits within an actual pizza box base.
3] Height to be unlimited.
4] Track plan to include a continuous run.
5] Trains MUST be powered.
6] Trains MUST be revenue earning.
7] The layout must have some snow on the scenery somewhere.
8] Challenge to finish midnight on 30th November 2013 GMT.

Notes regarding the rules.
1] This is the Gn15 forum.
2] The layout is to fit within the perimeter of the base of the box. The box can be any size that you wish ----small, medium, large or family ---- your choice. The layout is not allowed to taper outwards so that the top surface hangs over the base. You are not allowed to open the lid fully to make use of that space as well! The layout can be any shape providing it fits within the perimeter of the box base. At least one photo of the layout in the box is required for proof of eligibility --- No Photo Shopping please
( The largest box that I found on Google was 28" square.)
3] The height of the layout is unlimited (except by the height of your ceiling of course)
4] Although a continuous track plan is mandatory any points or crossings that you want to add are up to you. A continuous run can also include an end to end layout providing the train does not need any human intervention to actually reverse direction.
5] The power for the train can include but is not limited to electric, clockwork, steam, solar, Stirling engine, hamster in wheel, dilithium crystals or even atomic power.
The only forms of train power not allowed are 'finger-pushing' or 'string-pulling'.
(Although bribery in the form of a packet of Jaffa cakes might just make me change my mind on that !)
6] The train must either be a loco and wagon or some sort of railcar. In fact any vehicle that can carry goods or passengers to help make a profit !
7] The theme is your choice ---- I was originally going to specify that the theme was to be "Snow at Christmas" but considering we have just had two layouts with that theme on this site I thought it better to open the theme to anything providing that there was at least some snow on the scenery.
If you want to be precise there has to be at least 1" square (25mm square) area of snow on the layout.
The snow does not need to be the real thing.
8] As the closing date is 11 months away the 24 hours difference due to the dreaded time zones is such a tiny percentage of the total build time I really don't believe there will be much discussion on this subject. (Now who am I trying to convince ?)

Other notes
A backdrop is optional, although in my opinion a very worthwhile addition, although if you do include one remember that it is part of the layout and it must fit within the pizza box perimeter.
If you plan to use an external power supply (battery or mains power pack or belt to lay shaft or solar panels or atomic reactor) they can be connected to the layout with cables of any length.
Again the control panel, if used, can be external to the layout.

So get yourselves down to the local pizza shop, order ourself a nice pizza of your choice of size and flavour and start your new year with a good feed and a new year's resolution to build yourself a Gn15 layout.

Happy new year and good luck everybody and remember only 11 months to go.
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:25 am

OK I'm in.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:59 pm

Hi Adrian ...

I'm afraid that despite my wish for the "snowflake" to be resurrected this is too much of a challenge for me. I just cannot commit myself to something this ambitious - I can barely come good on the stuff I've already started.

I don't want to sound negative as you've obviously put some thought into this - but as the instigator of the initial challenge I must say that the original idea was to produce a small stand alone item that could be built readily within a 3 month time frame during the winter - "hence snowflake". It really was meant to be something a bit silly and I've oft wondered if it didn't "outgrow" itself causing a stillbirth as an annual event?

Not wishing to rain on your parade - just saying that's all.

Love and Hugs...................
KBO .......................... Andi.

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:40 pm

G'day and a happy new year to all members.

Michael --- welcome --- well that's two of us.

Andi ---- sorry to hear that you won't be accepting the challenge ---- But a layout to fit within the confines of one of the smallest pizza boxes (just over 6" square) I thought could qualify as being in the category of being a "bit silly". ---- but I can understand your reticence as I also think that I probably have too many irons in the fire at the moment as well :shock:

Seasons greetings
Adrian Hoad

Thin Layman
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Light railways, strange locos, narrow gauge, tramways, rural backwaters, obscure grotty industrial corners or any combination of the above.

Postby Thin Layman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:56 am

Mucho intriguements...

On behalf of the many lurkers, dabblers, fiddlers and back-seat drivers of the forum whom this is hopefully intended to poke out of inaction, a few unnecessarily picky queries (sorry!):

- can the max size of box you indicate take set-track curves, or would bend-your-own be mandatory?
- does 'revenue-earning' imply 'common-carrier' or do internal-user railways for business-like purposes eg military, hospital, agricultural, etc fall into the remit of the challenge?
- Would bribery with jaffa cakes make you change your mind about excluding people-powered prototypes as long as the model was self-powered in some way?
Matt

celebdoc
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Military narrow gauge railways

Postby celebdoc » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:30 am

My old dad said 'never volunteer', but this sound like the kind of prod I need to dip a toe into the Gn15 pool. As a total novice I'm not promising anything remarkable, but even Isambard Kingdom Brunel had to start somewhere, so count me in!

:D
Tim - too busy thinking when I should be building.

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:25 am

G'day folks
Matt wrote
can the max size of box you indicate take set-track curves, or would bend-your-own be mandatory?
- does 'revenue-earning' imply 'common-carrier' or do internal-user railways for business-like purposes eg military, hospital, agricultural, etc fall into the remit of the challenge?
- Would bribery with jaffa cakes make you change your mind about excluding people-powered prototypes as long as the model was self-powered in some way?

The max size of the box was for information only. It was the biggest size I could find on Google. Remember the layout has to photographed inside an actual pizza box --- so its up to your local pizza parlour.
If they serve 'Humungus' pizzas you might get away with set track otherwise its back to bending your own.

I can see no reason to ban internal users ---- after all the railways were built to make the owner's life easier so increasing productivity, so making a profit.

No need for bribery ---- just as long as the train is self powered somehow all is well. The prototype is irrelevant. And if you could build a 1/24 (ish) man who actually had moving legs which propelled the train arount the layout ---- that would be fantastic.

Tim wrote
but even Isambard Kingdom Brunel had to start somewhere,

Just remember, Tim, that 7'-0 1/4" is not minimum gauge :!: :D :D :D

Welcome aboard gentlemen. :D :D :D
Adrian Hoad

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:11 am

7'-0 1/4" is not minimum gauge Exclamation Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Ah... but if he was thinking 8 foot to start with, he certainly was an expansive chap wasn't he :lol:
Regards Michael

If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

celebdoc
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Military narrow gauge railways

Postby celebdoc » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:31 pm

I vaguely recall some European despot proposing a 'double-size' train in the 30's which would have run on two parallel tracks, but we are now straying into maximum gauge territory! Mind you, IKB might have built some scale models before embarking on the Great Western experiment.

Back on topic, I now have to find a way to convince She Who Must be Obeyed that a quest for a giant sized pizza box is compatible with the New Year diet resolution! :D
Tim - too busy thinking when I should be building.

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:13 am

G'day Tim
I now have to find a way to convince She Who Must be Obeyed that a quest for a giant sized pizza box is compatible with the New Year diet resolution!

Invite a few friends around for a pizza evening and a look at your railway ---- or look at some (railway) DVDs ---- or just a general 'chatter' :?: :?: :?:
Adrian Hoad

bahnindianer
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narro Gauge Gn 15 / Photograph

Postby bahnindianer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:05 am

helle friends,

after I found a large Pizza-cardboard (large Family-pizza) I will try this challenge and so i'm in. I think the beautiful models which I bought from Franck need some place to run.

I hope I understood that anything correctly. Ther must be a circleline and the railway must show a situation that give you an impression what it's for. And last but not least there must be one square with snow.

Sorry for my really bad english but i'll try to be better and better.

Greetings from Germany.

George

PS.: If you found some mistakes in my english you can keep it as a present. :D :oops: :D

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:37 am

G'day ( that is Australian for 'hello') George.

If I understand your english correctly, yes a circle of track and the railway must have a purpose for its existence.

The scenery should have snow covering at least 25mm x 25mm at least.
Although it would be better if there was more.

No need to apologise for your english. It is a lot better than my German.

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

Zoange
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: narrow gauge Win Garden

Pizzeria di Marco

Postby Zoange » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:38 am

Hello

This challenge tempts me enormously but as we all, I already porjets underway, and we must make choices.
I have not resisted, I drew a small project
The four seasons pizza represented with the pizzeria "pizza-di Marco", a small loco pulling wagons loaded with sacks of flour, oil bottle olive, tomato concerve, bottles of Chianti...

This will be realised but not in the challenge time :(
Marc
Sorry for my English, it is a computer translation

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:41 pm

G'day Marc
The four seasons pizza represented with the pizzeria "pizza-di Marco", a small loco pulling wagons loaded with sacks of flour, oil bottle olive, tomato concerve, bottles of Chianti...

I like your thinking......
Pity you have other things going on .......
But there are 9 months to go :D
Cheers
Adrian Hoad

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Gnine

Postby demaine22 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:28 pm

Despite other projects...the temptation to do this on a budget is rather tempting...still havn't done any Gn15 modelling since I started in Gnine...and the boy is starting to get into model railways too!
Playing around and modelling:
http://nookyworks.wordpress.com/

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Location: Brigstow, UK, EU, Planet Three, Sol, Outer Orion, Alpha Quadrant
Interests: Narrow & minimum gauge railways full size & model, agriculture, cycling, science fiction

Postby WaterleyShunter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:12 pm

I might join in, I have some extra bits of flexitrack and a couple of 16.5mm gauge battery powered chassis mooching on a shelf. But this very much depends on finding the time.

But there again, there are 9 months to do it in..........

Can I build the layout to fit in a supermarket pizza box or does it have to be a takeaway pizza box?

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:24 am

G'day Daffyd

Can I build the layout to fit in a supermarket pizza box or does it have to be a takeaway pizza box?

As long as the box contained a pizza at some point I can see no problems.
Welcome aboard.

I have just found my 'ideal' pizza box.
It's from Pizza Hut and as well as the pizza, it came with some cheese sticks and some chocolate sticks. (Yum, yum.)
The box itself is 9" x 18". A very nice size and shape for what I have in mind :D

Equally important I have now managed to find a suitable name for my layout ---- "Lodestone Island".
(This is because I have managed to find some real lodestone for authenticity.)

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow & minimum gauge railways full size & model, agriculture, cycling, science fiction

Postby WaterleyShunter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:01 pm

My entry has got this far in just one hour. :shock:

The baseboard is a laminate of three of those polydisks from supermarket pizza boxes. A very light baseboard with natural quiet running. :)

A battery pack borrowed from an SM32 loco can move this loco at a smartish pace, but my other four-wheeler barely moves. Using a battery pack will make the layout self-contained.

If I go any further with this I will set up another thread to document the construction. Plan is to have a wall down the middle with a different scene each side, so the train can travel from place to place. All the scenery will be premade bits intended for Waterley Bank Estate Farm which just didn't look right when put in place.

I have a plan for fitting sidings onto this tiny pizza - inspired by something I found on carendt.us (but cannot find now :evil: )

Happy modelling,

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:43 pm

WaterleyShunter wrote:
I have a plan for fitting sidings onto this tiny pizza - inspired by something I found on carendt.us (but cannot find now :evil: )

That's a pretty tight radius. I can't wait to see how you split it. As a fan of Carl's I hope you find what you are after.

Cheers,

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby WaterleyShunter » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:14 pm

I have started a new thread in Modelling Matters to document my pizza progress.

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=9098

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:15 pm

Oh, dear. Oh me, oh my. It's been a few years and a lot of miles since I've had the time for train fun. Still, this one looks to be simple enough for me to give it a go. Count me in , as long as there's room for whimsey in the Challenge?
Hopefully, this will give me the chance to work my way back into it all easily. Looking for ward to it!
Chris

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:52 am

G'day Chris
Welcome aboard.
One rule that I thought about but didn't actually write down (the list was getting too long) was that 'whimsy' was an actual requirement :D
So go for it.
Cheers
Adrian Hoad

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:13 am

G'day Guys

First the Pizza box ----- 9" x 18" ----a nice size to work with I think.

And the genuine Lodestone that will give the layout its name.
Was going to call it "Magnetic Island" but that name is taken by a local island a mere two thousand kilometres or so away from me, just off the Queensland coast.
And I bet they never had snow there !

Not sure which hemisphere to set my island in ---- that will probably depend if I can can find model penguins or polar bears in a suitable scale.

I should have all the other bits ready to start work after Easter and the narrow gauge convention.

Cheers
Last edited by Adrian on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian Hoad

fatmac
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Free Open Source Software, Cycling, & model railways in the larger scales

Postby fatmac » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:24 pm

Just found this challenge, but it is not to my liking, i.e. pizza!

One would also need to be pretty experienced to fit track into such small curvature.

Never mind, I'll just watch from the sidelines.
Just Playing Trains!

WaterleyShunter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby WaterleyShunter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:16 pm

How is the contest to be judged? A poll thread featuring the finished entries?

I know its a long time yet but it would be good to know.

Six entrants so far unless I am mistaken?

Return to “Challengnes”