Carendt.com Challenge

Caption competitions, competitions run by The Management (ahem) or just a challenge you'd like to set your fellow 'boxers, this is where to put them!

If anyone finds a challengney type thread elsewhere can you PM me the number and I'll carefully copy it over into this forum.

If anyone's wondering why I've done this ... wait and see! :-)

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Carendt.com Challenge

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:34 pm

So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:14 pm

assume the lighting is in base. I have an idea, not sure if enough time.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15, audio recording, Film Photography

Postby martin » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:41 pm

rue_d_etropal wrote:assume the lighting is in base. I have an idea, not sure if enough time.

The deadline isn't very far away at all, if it had been for christmas I might have given it a go!
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://suttonboningtongallery.com/soar-valley-garden-railway/
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

Simon Hargraves
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15,1/32n16.5,0-14,009,Nm...nuff said?

Postby Simon Hargraves » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:53 am

This was mentioned in an email from Carendt.com the other day.

Looks interesting although I wonder what the power source is for the lighting?
Something low voltage I'd have thought (USB perhaps?) as it's meant for children.
I note that it's acceptable to build your own box......which I might be inclined to do as the one the challenge is based around is £25!

As has been said, it's a pity about the short timescale; I think I will have to give it a miss as I need to get my 009 layout ready for a gathering in August, my 0-14 layout refurbished for ExpoNG in October as well as my critter challenge entry built for the same event!

Good luck to anyone who decides to give it a go,
Simon.
Simon H

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:20 am

I think main idea is to do something in a short time, that is a challenge in itself, but means ideas are simple and not over complex.
Hopefully I will have time to visit IKEA next week. I plan to do something which uses the box, is displayed in the box but afterwards can be taken out, so I can spread cost of the box over to other projects.
If I can find other bits(burried in attic) I require it is something I might take down on holiday(?) to France.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:37 pm

I was at Ikea last night, getting some big furniture items for 2 of my offspring, so too opportunity to get one of these boxes. For anyone interested they are located in children's toy department and are mains powered.
My son thought the light panel might be useful for photography(?), and my daughter could see uses in her bio-chemistry scientific work .
Not sure how I am going to use the light panel, but it is an essential part of box design.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: GN15 G-Scale and 009

Postby adamc » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:49 pm

currently considering making a GN15 stair lift to fit the cube :)

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:30 pm

The box is actually smaller than I thought. The light panel(base) is quite thick. reducing space, and the sides are made of thick tough looking plastic, so I have revised my ideas a bit.
In some ways building your own box to same dimensions(external?) would be easier(cheating?), as you could have a bit more room inside.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

MrPlantpot
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: I likes anyfink wiv wheels, I duz. At the moment I am building a Narrow Gauge Layout, 1/32 scale on 16.5mm (0n16.5) track.

Postby MrPlantpot » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:56 pm

I went to IKEA today.... and when I eventually found a SYNAS box, I thought it rather small, too. You'd have to have quite a tight radius, so's to get clearance inside

However; the lighting seems to be 16 LED's (4 per side) arranged around the perimeter. Looking closely at the box, the lid came off in my hand (honest, Guv' :oops: ), then I realised that you could make your own 'lid', with your pizza layout on, wired separately, and use the box upside down.

I turned it upside down in the shop, and got some strange looks from a couple of women who thought I was odd (perhaps they're not wrong!) I reckon it might work better that way, apart from the fact that you can't then look directly down on the model, due to the opaque base, which then becomes the top. :(

Would that be a problem?
My Mum calls me Steve.
1:32 on 16·5mm track. Gnot strictly minimum gauge... but it is the minimum that I'm working with !
And now... a critter in 1/24th... from scratch!

Simon Hargraves
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15,1/32n16.5,0-14,009,Nm...nuff said?

Postby Simon Hargraves » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:53 am

Hmmm.....I wondered whether it would be best to use the box "upside down" as it were; to be honest, I can't see how else you could make use of the lighting, assuming the layout has any sort of scenery.

I suppose one other way would be to tip the box through 90 degrees and have the contents back-lit.

Or, if you wanted to be totally "out there" model something underwater (with the light shining upwards through gaps in the seabed) and viewed through weeds and maybe some sort of blue/green filter on the sides of the box?

Track plan.......how about something triangular with two straight sides and a curve, rather like Roy Link's original Crowsnest Tramway?
This had a turntable where the two straight sides met and points where the straights met the curved section......however, space could be saved by substituting sector plates for the points!

As I said before, I really can't see myself doing this as I really don't have time, but it'll be interesting to see what others come up with.

Simon.
Simon H

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:38 pm

It would not be a challenge if it was easy.

I am taking my box down with me on holiday(?) to France. That gives it more of a summer twist. I am also looking at the challenge from a different angle/perspective, with a bit of a twist, and hopefully including a WW1 centenary theme. Enough said without giving the game away.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:36 pm

Fate has played me for a fool once again. While babysitting my niece and nephew today I managed to uncover an old stretch of HO track. With this challenge in mind, I fiddled the track into a 7" circle while I waited for my niece to finish her Cyborg Bigfoot sculpture. Once I found a couple of chassis that actually made it around in one piece, I knew my fate was sealed, especially as I had to pass by Ikea later in the day. I'm home now with a box, a circle, some trains and no ideas. I'd better think of something quick!

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:38 pm

By the way, is anyone here who's doing the challenge posting a building log anywhere?

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:06 pm

the completion date is so close, not really enough time to write a log.
Also I tend to find things don't go to plan, and it was when I got track that I realised the inside dimensions were a lot less than specified. Anyway I am not actually starting the build till next week when I go on holiday.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:40 pm

Understood. It is a bit of a crush to get something made in time. Struggling now with a concept for something so small.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:08 pm

just a few photos of my attempt.

and

and

with lid on, but no train running
I have called this model,WDPR, War Department Pizza Railway. They say an army marches on its stomachs.

Box is angled in both directions to get circle of Tomix (104mm radius) inside. Box sits on a used 5 litre plastic tub of paint. It is not possible to run train with box lid fitted as it slopes inwards.
Just a couple of extra details to add , maybe, as I have lots of 1/6th scale accessories.
The loco is one of my 3d printed models re-sized for OO9, fitted to a Roco N gauge chassis. I will up load a video soon hopefully. Still in France on holiday, returning to wet and breezy UK tomorrow, home just in time for bank holiday weekend.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:41 pm

just set up video on Youtube. Nothing special but does show train actually runs.
in nostalgic black and white
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH_4wbDjjYk&feature=youtu.be

and in colour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPHStG9ry34&feature=youtu.be
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:19 am

Glorious! A military mite railway!

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:17 am

I plan to display it with my other WW1 model railways, space permitting, partly because it uses my 3D printed loco . I should really put couplings on loco and add a couple of wagons.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:44 pm

I like the angle, very different. 8)
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

Return to “Challengnes”