card modeling; sort of

A home for threads which don't relate to minimum(ish) gauge railways

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

card modeling; sort of

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:01 pm

May or may not count as a 'real' paper model but night before last I made insomnia work for me and threw together some quick cardboard mockups of a plastic model kit I want to buy next month of three trackside sheds in HO scale which to use on my set of HO modules on local club's layout.
Has been ages and ages since I've done anything resembling actual classic paper modeling.
Handcar shed, relay cabinet, and generic tool shed kit has been previously offered by Model Power, and who knows who else in decades past, and is now issued by Walthers. Walthers catalog has listed footprint dimensions, so, using those, I went to work.
Yesterday made the quick 2 mile trip to our model RR club to see where the sheds would look best around where I want them on one of my 4 modules.

A display carton for packets of cat treats and a box for frozen egg rolls provided the raw materials.
I don't care for dilapidated appearance of handcar shed and that will be changed when kit is acquired and constructed.

Okay, that works, looks more or less logical. Relay cabinet is out of frame to left at signals at other end of crossover.
Handcar shed ramp/platform will have to be shortened, but, hey, what fun is building a model if you don't change it :lol:

Fun to look at images from the little people's point of view. Going to be a colorful scene when done.
Sheds will get painted to match signal cabin and the grounded cabus as yard office.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Re: card modeling; sort of

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:10 pm

Huh?? Excuse me? What is this???
Went to edit in pic of relay cabinet and clicking either preview or post gets this nonsense
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:14 pm

Alright, alright, I'll play the web's idiotic game and do it this way.
Here's the egg roll box mockup where relay cabinet will be. Want to have a railroad truck pulled up with a signal maintainer fellow getting out to inspect and service the cabinet.

Another couple images from the little people's vantage point
and

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:17 pm

something else I've been doing is painting the backs of the backdrops with same color as room walls since with the layout's square configuration they are visible to the public. Makes for a more professional appearance.

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:19 pm

And y'all gotta see Ron's 2 modules here, they are really something 8)

Return to “gNot Minimum Gauge”