Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

A Vanadium Mine Diorama, no name yet.

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:55 pm

Vanadium Ore Mine

I'm working on a diorama that will be a tribute to Verne Niner. I hope I can capture a bit of his humor and model skills in this venture. The diorama will be loosely based on his ideas for his new layout that would have included a Vanadium Mine and the associated workings.

My intent is to build two or three freight wagons that will carry vanadium ore in sacks and haul a tank of Frijolene from the mine and Frijolene distillery to the train for haulage to the vanadium mill. I have ordered a bunch of stuff including wagon kits and wheels and figures for the project. I'm still waiting on wagon parts, but I have started carving an existing figure to resemble the wagon driver that I want to honor. I hope this works out. I'm sure it will, FUN was Verne's favorite thing for his layouts it seems, so this will be FUN if nothing else. The scale will be 1:24. I think the rail line will be narrow gauge, in Gn15 since that's my favorite.

The wagons will be pulled by the dino from the Estrella Incident. I was lucky enough to get that creature from Verne last winter. He has successfully been 'broken' to safely pull wagons. In this picture he has been out for a drive and has arrived back in town. It seems that the horses and cowboys aren't impressed with having a triceratops in town, but they don't know how gentle and friendly he is. Besides, he doesn't like horse meat, he prefers alfalfa.

Initial fitting for draft rigging for the critter.

Here is the figure that I'm modifying. It is a tedious process to carve the detail in the plastic, but it is satisfying to see the change coming about. The figure is commonly available and looks like this to start.

So far, I have modified the hat some, worked a lot on the face and removed a bunch of unwanted detail from the shirt. That shirt will need to become a chambray shirt with button front. The vest will need all the pockets removed and some texture added. On the original figure, the arms are bare and tattooed. Tattoos are gone and sleeves with cuffs are to come yet.

Aren't closeups cruel...

The story is that vanadium ore is mined, bagged and hauled to the rail for the trip to the processing plant. One method of separating carnotite, the type of ore being mined, uses hot acid solutions. Hence the need for Frijolene to heat the solution. Oh, my layouts are in the 1937 time period. At that time, vanadium was mined and separated from the uranium and the uranium became waste product. Later the 'waste' was processed to make weapons. But that isn't part of the story. Carnotite as mined contained vanadium, uranium and some radium typically. It is a sulfur yellow ore.

More as it unfolds.
Ken

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Re: A Vanadium Mine Diorama, no name yet.

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:02 am

Gnice idea. Are you intending to have dinosaur working on railway as well. :lol:

I posted something about a dinosaur pulling train here
http://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10393
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:22 pm

I can't wait to see that dino pull the train! Way cool!
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:12 pm

Carnotite sounds like nasty stuff!
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:50 pm

I think the dino (who needs a name) will just pull the wagons. Right now I'm thinking of having a box car spotted on a siding and having the wagon train pull up on a loading dock. I'm not sure what else will be included. I did find a prototype image of the wagon/train interface.

Ken

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:36 pm

Now if you could just find a prototype of a Triceratops/unloading dock interface with a train in it, that would be something.
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:29 am

I have done some more work on the figure. The resident Igor has moved the modified head to another figure. Now I have a proper sitting figure, who is also clothed more appropriately. Now for paint.

Ken

Nipissing
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Trains. What else ?

Postby Nipissing » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:33 am

Well done. And now, let's roll: Yippee-I-Yay ! Yippee-I-Yo ! :lol:
Have a nice day :D

Return to “gNot Minimum Gauge”