In-progress bits HO for train club

A home for threads which don't relate to minimum(ish) gauge railways

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

In-progress bits HO for train club

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:46 pm

Hey Y'all;
I'm in the mood to do show and tell of various in-progress bits for our HO modular layout at our midwestern county seat farm burg's little model RR club.
Have a barter deal going with an 80 year old fellow who is in with me on a set of four 4ft x 30 inch modules for the HO layout. I'm painting the wooden decks, painting the wheels, replacing each of the cars' absurd inverted snap-pin truck mounting Walthers used, with a good solid screw, replacing the plastic couplers with good Kadees - in exchange for an ABBA set of Rock Island passenger Fs by Mantua with the flywheel drive.
ImageIMG_2100 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr

Not pictured are paints used for base coat over factory paint, they were Testors 1/4floz enamels #1163 flat grey and # 1166 flat brown, blended wet on wet on the model, and sometimes on a palette. when they had dried the craft paiints shown here were used for next coats.
Model Master leather brown was base coat for wheel faces. Backs were painted flat black for I don't know why, really, mostly to hide them in the shadows, I guess,
ImageIMG_2103 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr
ImageIMG_2107 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr

And working here and there on some of my own stuff, too.
Got this Walthers, ex-Life-Like, exx-Model Power, nee who knows who, Pola, AHM?, speeder shed, tool shed, relay box, kit after Walthers reissued it. Replaced worn out shed siding with scribed sheet from Evergreen. Molded siding was quite thin, easily cut out to leave framing. (building inspector says fix to the knife slip will be okay. applied and painted siding before acquiring windows so cut opening on building.)
ImageIMG_2142 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr

And then crazy fool that I am, I'm applying individual paper shingles cut from painted section of brown paper grocery bag. Shingles are a bit oversized, but, hey, I can SEE and handle them!
ImageIMG_2143 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr

Mom & Dad still contribute to my addiction for Christmas :D They sent some money to Mike at our itty-bitty regional hobby shop for me to order supplies. Got as part of it a $40 assortment of 200 doors and windows from Tichy train Group. Going to use their windows as kit windows were modeled derelict and broken.
ImageIMG_2133 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr

Feeling like such an architectural slacker for not checking to see if rafter tail locations on small shed are strictly prototypical - on the other hand, I'm putting tiny little individually cut paper shingles on the the thing, what more do you want? I started college in 1981 for architecture but never could pass calculus and therefore didn't finish, so we'll attribute my errors to that, right? :lol:
Or maybe the little shed will get roll roofing.
(let's see, if I'm "papercrafting" the roofing, that counts as art, right?)
And a person would have to reach in to the layout and pick the thing up and invert it to check the rafters anyway; and that is something the public is dis-invited from doing to my stuff on our club's layout.
And ...
If I put a light in it, it will be "leashed" to the layout anyway :wink:
ImageIMG_2148 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr

Junction scene where the sheds go on my right end module of the set of 4. Original open square modular layout has connection here, track branching off to lower right, to new build non-sectional layout which can be operated connected or independent of modular layout.
ImageIMG_2089 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr

I'm hoping to create interesting views within the scene. It is all happening so very slowly with my health the mess it now is, but, hey, I am thankful to still be able to do this at all, ya know.
ImageIMG_2088 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr
ImageIMG_2087 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr

Okay, that's enough in one post.
Last edited by Willow Creek Traction on Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Re: In-progress bits HO for train club

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:54 pm

more relevant images, almost in order.
ImageIMG_2072 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr
ImageIMG_2071 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr

Paper sack section for shingles was painted with mix of oxide brown and black solvent based RustOleum primers from those smaller tins. then once applied was overpainted with acrylic craft paint mix of similar hues to more or less match the now discontinued PollyScale roof brown used on other buildings. Some of these HO buildings sat in my closet for a decade or more before club formed and layout started around 2009-2012.
ImageIMG_2075 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr
Aleen's Tacky craft glue is a wonderful invention.
ImageIMG_2078 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr
Hey, that's working!
ImageIMG_2080 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:08 pm

Harry, who is working on Lionel, and N scale, layouts, John, and I, got together to begin passenger platforms in each of the two yards on HO modular layout. Yards have 3 tracks each for outer and inner mainline loops, with a larger space between sets of tracks. We figured there would be a good location for passenger platforms from which to originate and terminate trains around the layouts.
Lamps are some Harry ordered for the Lionel layout but which turned out too small. John contributed an old train set power pack for power supply, the yards have no accessory power bus underneath; and cut strips of Masonite for the platform foundations.
ImageIMG_1972 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1973 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr
Oh baby, that will look good when done!
ImageIMG_1982_Copy by Forrest Wood, on Flickr
Amtrak train is John's. SP Daylight is Harry's. Frisco heavyweights are mine. Tail lights are my work: power is on board battery. LED is pirated from small battery powered set of Christmas lights.

Would like to have a two-sided printed backdrop flat of a station building to put at end of yard - not an entire backdrop panel, just the station elevation, as an entire panel would be too much of a view block, then again, maybe not, the yards are inside the square and view of end of yard is blocked by mainline backdrops. Of course it would be easily removable for photography :D

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:14 pm

Someone did that during our last open house - whether club member or visitor is unknown, but gotta say, the fashion works for him! :lol:
ImageIMG_2020 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:16 pm

Interesting thread.

FWIW, I 'didn't finish' because of calculus a decade before you. :D Almost 5 years of mechanical engineering and geology (what a combination!) and quit and promptly got drafted. :|
Ken

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:19 pm

Quit drafting to get drafted, eh. Life does toss out random irony at moments. :lol:

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Postby Bilco » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:23 pm

Hi Forrest,

Good to see your modelling - been a while since you posted your stuff on here! Looks like a great project your club has on the go.
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:47 pm

Thanks y'all :!:
Yeah, both the On30 and Gn15 have been set aside while I participate in the HO at our club.
I am the only one who models in On30. And the only one who knew Gn15 existed at all.
Still plotting a little Gn15 display but space, time, and health, apply boundaries to the present reality.

Did the other day dredge up some On30 to take and run on the HO layout. Of course it was incomplete projects which have lain dormant for a few years.
with Burlington Northern style fuel tender. loco mechanisms are Bachmann HO Plymouth MDT (mislabeled WDT) which are quite nicely geared low, with just the end axles driven; now, it they only had flywheels ...
Am trying to figure out how to run functional m.u. cables so they share pickup.
ImageIMG_2024 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr
zooming along at what we figured was a scale 12 mph. HO modular layout is roughly 1 scale mile square.
ImageIMG_2022 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr
Some day he'll get a proper caboose/brake van with a roof to keep the rain and snow off. coal car couplers are ancient Kadee #4 with rectangular slot in shank for mounting - centering springs omitted to create exaggerated slack action, is fun to see and hear it run out, click click click click ... especially when the 9 loads and 9 empties make an 18 car train
ImageIMG_2025 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr

Return to “gNot Minimum Gauge”