Hinge ideas needed, non-working but sturdy

A home for threads which don't relate to minimum(ish) gauge railways

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Hinge ideas needed, non-working but sturdy

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:07 am

Hey Y'all;
Hinge ideas needed, :idea: :?: non-working but sturdy "hinges" to attach open doors to this HO track speeder shed to be used on my modules on club layout.
My brain just isn't doing this this week. :?
Shed is semi-removable on a semi-removable addition to layout where the modular layout has an extension to join a permanent layout.
Handling, bumping, wreck derailments, are things to consider regarding survivability of the open doors.

Doors are desired in open position to let shed light shine on side of passing trains for a neat effect in the dark.

As can be deduced from photo, hinges will not be visible to viewing, so beauty is irrelevant, sturdiness, however, is.
Doors will be sandwich of .020 thick styrene scribed at .050 spacing, so they will represent same siding boards viewed from 2 sides.

ImageIMG_2273 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2082 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2088 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr

Aaaaaand ...

Of course positioning the shed to get the look I want upstairs led the LED light wiring lead to emerge in an awkward spot downstairs. So, I guess it will take "three lefts to make a right" to get inside the module framing. Eh, such is life.

ImageIMG_2270 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr

Have a smaller and dimmer duplicate of the desired effect located about 12 feet to right of layout location above
ImageMVI_4665 by Forrest Wood, on Flickr
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Re: Hinge ideas needed, non-working but sturdy

Postby docnjoj » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:17 pm

Some wire and brass tubing is simple and straightforward. Epoxy the hinge (tubing) inside the shed door edges and the wire attached to the doors.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Re: Hinge ideas needed, non-working but sturdy

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:04 pm

if the doors are made of card or thin wood, simple paper or thin card superglued to back of wall, and onto door would hold. Some flexibility so odd knock won't break it. With care the visible part on door can be disguised.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Return to “gNot Minimum Gauge”