A home for threads which don't relate to minimum(ish) gauge railways

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

(F) On30 Layout - Guy's Fizz-Bang Tram

Postby Gerry Bullock » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:17 am

I'm currently working on a Club Layout with a different slant from the normal Thomas layouts for kids.

This one only requires the "Operator" to push a button then the train works automatically plus some lighting animation:

It remains to be seen if it works or Gnot.
At least it's different - set at night and will be housed in a box - proscenium style with a Starlit (twinkling) backdrop. Ordered the stars this weekend so I don't have them yet.
Last edited by Gerry Bullock on Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:54 am

I'll just be featuring 40 stars as that's what is enroute. Moon unlikely as even a crescent it will probably be too bright. The idea is to have only a few lights in buildings plus twinkling stars before "Operator" pushes button to start sequence. Then single Tram runs and various lighting effects operate within the scene.

Here's what it looks like at present:

On the subject of Thomas we do have such a layout BUT it's a bit past the "Sell by Date". This is much smaller, a mere 48"x15", so can be built on small table whereas to replace Thomas is currently impossible. Already 3 other layouts being built in available Club space with nowhere to run anything. :shock:

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:55 am

I like the little Gnomy thing, and the scratchbuilt (?) station type building. I'm curious as to the source of that rather nice brick building at the back - DPM models perhaps?

The Gnomy "Burger Bar" was built by a Club Member who had Gnever ever built anything before, he did a good job. :D

The Station is not Scratchbuilt but a laser cut kit from American Model Builders (Kit No: 490) and finally the Firework Factory is a modular kit from yes you were correct.

I merely turned the Factory kit into an extended "Flat" to create the scenery break at rear; rest will probably be just black cartridge paper with twinkling stars. Still a way to go yet, however last night at our Club all the electronics necessary to make layout automatic were given green light by our Expert. 8)

The factory will have a long chain link fence around perimeter with a gate entrance in front of loading entrance with maybe a truck parked there.
Road exits factory to cross the tracks with a typical American Crossing twin red light sign which will flash whilst tram operates.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri May 02, 2008 7:19 pm

I've moved on a little since last post. Single point now powered using the auxiliary circuit of a Fleischmann Controller via a Fulgurex Motor.
For those that Know that that circuit is AC - not any more with a couple of Diodes in wiring to convert to 1/2 AC = DC. :wink:

Track now ballasted, cinder road to Factory installed plus some of the groundcover. Switches installed at end of main run so that when Tram reverses it also cuts power for a preset period - so remains stationary at station and at far end of track out of sight.

If light outside is right tomorrow I'll take a series of photos to show basic baseboard with track then all the buiildings - there are 5 of them.
Nine weeks to the show so should make it. :roll:

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sat May 03, 2008 12:10 pm

Here's the layout starting with basic track plan then adding buildings.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Mon May 05, 2008 8:18 am

It looks like you've bolted the base of the buildings down - is that just a former or did you build them onto the base off the layout?

The only building which has a base screwed to baseboard is the large firework factory. I did this because the ply used had warped slightly and that building has the most wiring plus the firework billboard electronics.

Thought it prudent (Gordon would be proud :twisted: :lol: ) to have it removable. :wink:

The Water Tower will also be bolted to the baseboard as it's very heavy. (Hydrocal).

I'll Gnot be racing, expect to finish the overall layout early July.
Here's where I'm at today with more concrete laid though the white card and wooden framing haven't been glued down yet.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:07 pm

Here's where I'm at with the Proscenium Arch box construction well under way.

Box will be painted black both inside and out.

Most of the electronics have been finished and when tested at Club Night yesterday worked quite well. Some additional features will be added over the next few weeks to enhance the display.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:08 pm

All painted just needs the Starlit Sky installing :wink: plus some more electronic wizardry(Not my department) :!: :roll:

Here's the write-up that will appear in the Program:

Guy’s Whizz-Bang Tram

This layout built in On30 (1/4” scale on Peco O-16.5 Track) is aimed at the Younger Generation.

All that is required to operate it is a push on the RED Button.
It depicts the American “NOISE-R-US” Firework factory situated at a town called Fawkesville in the American Midwest.

In view of the inherent danger when manufacturing Fireworks the City Fathers of Fawkesville insisted on the Factory being built some miles from the town in a semi desert area.

However they did agree to NOISE-R-US building a tramway from Fawkesville out to the factory. This enabled the factory workforce to easily reach their place of work.

You will see the tram leave its shed and proceed to the Factory station and then head out to Fawkesville before returning with some workers ready for the next shift. You can't miss the Factory as it has a NOISE-R-US Neon sign on the roof.

As it is dusk the Buildings are lit and there are some Lamps to light the workers path to the Factory and the Burger Bar.
You’ll also see that it’s a starlit night.

Gnot up to Andy's standards I'm afraid. :oops:
Last edited by Gerry Bullock on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:14 pm

Here's what the Stars look like albeit only a few are showing. (there are 20)

I know stars don't flash like that and as far as my Electronics Expert is concerned there's no way to make them twinkle without inserting the Earth's Atmosphere twixt viewer and backdrop.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:39 am

Well the layout was completed last night ready for show this weekend (Completed - whatever that means :wink: :roll:) so here's a look at the layout in near darkness which it won't be at the show. :lol:

The Photobucket "Play" of this Video seem rather disjointed which it's not on original - only taken with Fuji Compact Digicam.

What you can't see, due to my location, is the US Flashing level crossing lights that operate only while tram is in motion.

I think layout will be well received as I asked our junior member how it compared to our Kid's Thomas Layout - the one word answer "BETTER" was very welcome. :wink: :D

This layout has a very simple track plan with just the one power feed plus an isolated section in Tram shed BUT the wiring is horrendous. I'll post a photo in due course.

Although this is a Kid's layout (All ages :?: ) it is On30 so might interest Show Managers who would like something slightly different in the NG line.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:56 pm

Here's the wiring under board, the grey boxed taped to board holds the electronics that determine where tram stops and when the Fulgerex point motor actuates. Some of lighting is also linked to Tram location.

Stars, Moonlight and Billboard are all battery operated.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:15 pm

A very successful show which included 6 NG layouts. Photos and Videos when I've edited and uploaded them
Throughput was much higher on the Saturday But rather sparce today fewer Family tickets this year - maybe a sign of the Financial Climate.

The Layout was well received by the Audience it was aimed at. :wink:
I even got one vote for the Best in Show award tying with 5 others and more than some. This vote was rather spoilt as the winner obviously has been watching Southern African shenanigans. :shock: I'll say no more. :(

What I can say is that the layout can claim to have been operated (Push the Red Button until Tram Appears) by the youngest child that has ever been permitted to "drive a model train" Victoria @ just 12 months old.

She had just the one lesson from Grandma and performed better than older children who could read the instructions :!:

I just happen to have a short Video of her "Operating the Layout" with permission to post it.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:15 pm

Here's Victoria after her first successful operation of the RED button:

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:02 pm

Here's the short Video of Victoria, I've tried to pasword protect this clip BUT for some reason Photobucket won't let me. :cry:
I'll be deleting it after about a week.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:01 pm

Here's what the underpinnings of the Hershey look like when the mechanical components of the on-board switching are assembled.
I should add that the square section tube is not yet connected to the buffer beam sliders. That awaits the installation of a suitable switch.

Buffer beam assy:

Motor unit with slider units in buffer beams plus connecting tubes:

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:38 pm

Coming soon: :wink:

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:51 pm

Here's the final version of the auto-reverse switch (prior to paint), mechanicals by myself electricals by Andrew a fellow club member.
Works even better than the Bachmann Auto-reversing tram. :wink:

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:29 pm

Here's the part completed Station building for the second module:

Started at our club last night with the build being done by a member who had never built a kit before. He made a number of mistakes whilst I was modifying the Good's Depot to become the Fire Station.

Overall after the corrections its a great first effort. Painting done before build by myself.
One comment by another Club member - "Is that for the 'N' gauge layout????" :roll:

This module incorporates a firework display, here's the first unit as a mock-up. It's meant to be a Roman Candle!

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Fawkesville

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:00 pm

The build of second module has stalled somewhat due to other Club projects taking available space within Clubhouse.
First module was built largely by myself with electronics input from our Chairman.
However 2nd module has to be built within Club involving more members; start was made last night when opening in RH side of layout was created to enable trams ( there will be two operating ) to cross bridge linking the modules. Wood extracted from stores and more purchased today.
New module will have feature that I'm certain hasn't been incorporated into a layout before. NO I'm not revealing what it is at this stage to avoid being "Gazumped". :lol: :lol:

By the way only my posts feature in this thread as all others were deleted awhile back by YKW.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:14 pm

There is a fire engine involved in the new module, here's the photo:

[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/Gn15/Fawkesville/Fawkesville002.jpg[/img]

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:23 pm

Be waiting for the big reveal.
Yep, remember commentary that a number of posts across the forum were going to be removed in order to reduce bandwidth, in particular those which were just "Atta boy!" comments. And that does make sense, someone has to lay out the cash for the bandwidth.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:17 am

its a pity about the removed comments etc, but can understand cost implications.
on the other hand online forums need members who add comments, and recently number of messages has gone down considerably, and that is less healthy. would not want to see this forum die due to lack of input.
looking forward to progress on new model. its a fine line between telling everyone what you are planning, then changing course, abandoning project, and keeping quiet till everything is set in stone.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:35 pm

Track is now down though some adjustments will be required tonight.
The Fawkesville station has two platforms enabling us to run two trams (not at same time) to the Firework Factory Module.
Our Electronic Wizz-Kid has worked out the gizmos to make this happen
In addition Fawkesville has a Witches Coven nearby - they live in a largish Pumpkin and have a habit of lighting fires on a railway track (NOT the tram tracks).
Fawkesville has a Fire station with Fire Engine & Tender that automatically deals with the fires.
Everything is still automatic on the twin-module layout with a single push on a red button all is revealed. :wink:
I'll take photos tonight.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:33 pm

Here's the state of layout, albeit fellow club member is currently installing Fulgurex motor for the single point.
The backdrop buildings are from SDK and obviously need a lot of scissor work.
The Pumpkin is the abode of a coven of witches and will have windows and a door once carved. OTT perhaps however it is directed at the younger generation and the first module always draws a crowd.
Connection to this module is via a 12" long bridge.

The witches have a habit of starting fires and once lit will result in the fire engine leaving the Fire Station to extinguish fire - again all automatic.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:43 pm

Here's the completed Fawkesville Fire Unit.

Return to “gNot Minimum Gauge”