Two Sister's Farm Saga

A home for threads which don't relate to minimum(ish) gauge railways

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:25 am

lovely Bedford, far better looking than its Opel cousin. Pity there isn't a plastic kit for the Bedford in 1/35 .
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:49 am

There is a rather nice whitemetal Briitsh kit but you pay by the gram for it.

Unfortunately the manufacturer does not have an internet presence.
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: British Narrow gauge, American shortlines,anything that runs on rails really.

Postby Broadoak » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:16 am

Simon like you I find the OB Bedford very attractive.

I also like the wartime Bedford QL and have just discovered a company I have never heard of before called IBG Models who do a 1/35 scale model in plastic for about £30. Model no 35015.

So I shall have to investigate further.

Peter M

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:32 pm

Seen that kit on eBay. Tempting. There seem to be a number of new kit manufacturers on the scene, many in Poland and Ukraine. The other kit which interests me is the German Ford truck, which was more common than the Opel, I believe. And there is a kit, well several actually in 1/35 from ICM.
http://www.icm.com.ua/catalogue/technics/tscale135/

Looking at some of the kits available I am wondering if some of these companies are working in partnership, as both ICM and Miniart are producing the German Fire engine, and the Russian Maxim gun is in both ranges.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:07 am

I have both the IBG QL (in box) and partially completed ICM Ford. The Ford has very delicate parts. I recommend both kits.

Great review & build primer for the QL at http://perthmilitarymodelling.com/revie ... 35015.html
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: British Narrow gauge, American shortlines,anything that runs on rails really.

Postby Broadoak » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:10 am

Many thanks for the link Paul, as you rightly say the kit gets a good review.

I think I will try to get one. Sadly my nearest model shop closed last year so now it is mail order.

I have a couple of shows coming up soon, Swanley in October and Braunstone in November so I won't be able to do anything in the very near future.

However it will make a pleasant project to do over the winter.
Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:02 pm

2013 has not been a good year for electronic devices for me. Firstly my old computer died after some eight years use and now my wife's compact camera has cried enough also. Although it has taken many images over the last thirteen years so I shouldn't complain really.

I have never owned a digital camera, I always borrowed the one belonging to my wife in the past. With that no longer working I have had to lash out on a device of my own.
These are a few images I have taken with the new camera while testing the layout and stock in readiness for Swanley.

Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:07 pm

I must admit I am very pleased with the Camera it is a compact Canon and was on offer at half price. Its performance when used for close ups seems especially good. The image files are very large and I was concerned about reducing them so that I could post the photographs.
So here are a few more.

The area under the rear wheel arch looked a little bare on the Quad so I added a small air tank and its associated piping on the offside. On the near side I added a small wooden toolbox.

The men outside the workshop put me in mind of a formula one team waiting for their car to pit for tyres and re-fuelling.

The men now have something to do checking over the two tractors before they set off for a days work.

A Bachmann V tipper chassis and a rudimentary wooden body made of plasticard with an engine and other items piled on it to be repaired in the workshop.

It's Sunday morning and a quiet period in the yard, with the wooden bodied Simplex and Tilly resting between assignments.

Peter M
Peter M

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:58 pm

nice photos. picture quality is superb. Something I will have to think about when I get a new camera. The one I got a couple of years ago does not take good closeups, or it might just be me. My older camera takes better shots. which model number is the camera?
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:02 am

Hi Simon,
The camera is a Canon Power Shot SX160IS From Argos
and cost £87.98 and that includes two four gig cards. (the camera itself was £79.99 )

So far I have only tickled its capabilities.

I have no connection with Argos other than as a satisfied customer.

Peter M
Peter M

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:21 am

thanks, presume thats a lightweight camera. Would have to try it out as I tend to get on better with heavier cameras(less wobble), but thats me. Will have a look at Argos though.

-----

just checked and very tempted. not as lightweight as some. Also when checking item on Argos website it has a promotional video featuring motor sport, a bit of a coincidence. As I keep one camera in France and one in UK, wonder if I can justify another, but then it will be a lot easier to carry around, and it still does video, very tempting
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:55 am

Simon the camera feels quite substantial and is very pleasant to use as it feels right in your hands. Not like some compacts that feel plasticky, if you know what I mean.

I have reset the camera to the M2 setting which gives images from 400odd kb to 700 odd kb instead of 5 mb.
The only thing I'm not too keen on is the instruction manual is on disc and not hard copy, but then I am very old fashioned and I was a printer in my working life.

The quality is nearly as good from a posting pictures point of view as can be seen from the following pictures.

Last edited by Broadoak on Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:18 pm

Some pictures taken by David Pennington at ExpoNG exhibition at Swanley.
David has kindly given me permission to post them.

Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:34 am

I have found a slightly better picture of the farm sporting its new clouds.

This Saturday the farm and I will be performing at a church in Braunstone Leicestershire. You could say, I will have gone from the sublime to a slightly smaller show.

Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:28 pm

A few pictures taken an an exhibition at Braunstone Leicester.

I am still getting used to the camera but am very pleased with it so far.

Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:06 am

Beds & Bucks Narrow Gauge Modellers are holding their 9th Members Open Day.

Sunday 26th January 2014 10.30 – 4.30

Barton Le Clay Village Hall, Hexton Road, Barton Le Clay, Bedfordshire MK45 4 JY
Off the old A6 on the B655

I am going along with Two Sister's Farm as a guest, the other layouts are:

Greystock Mill OO9
Aldborne OO9
Hawthorne Mill OO9
Appleton Deene O 16.5
Old Evaleigh OO9
Maesog OO9
Ilfracombe East OO9
Mellin Parva O 16.5
Pont Gelert OO9
Bayernair Hoe
Birds folly OO9
Pynton Tramway Company O9

Traders:
Model Roads and Tramways, CWR 3D Models, Meridian Models, John Sutton Books,
Narrowplanet Nameplates, Harpers Craft, 12volts DC.

Although I will be the only large scale layout in attendance I think one can get ideas from models in other scales.
I have done this show before and it is always worth a visit.

Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:46 pm

A few pictures taken at the Beds and Bucks open day last Sunday.

Peter M
Peter M

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:55 pm

Peter, I think you need to build an extension to the layout with all those trains. :lol:
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:27 pm

I think you are probably right Simon but I don't think I would get planning permission from the household authorities.

I already have a spare bedroom with a two feet x thirteen feet USA switching layout and a six foot odd GWR shunty plank.

Also now I have PMR my hands are not as dexterous as they used to be and things take much longer to do. :roll:
Peter M

MickT
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" gauge and related railways Estate (Heywood) and Passenger/Pleasure (Greenly) types. Interest in 09 and 4mm scale 10¼" modelling (1n10¼?) and outside the scope of Gnatterbox, 009

Postby MickT » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:28 pm

Super photos. Good to meet up with yourself, Judi and the farm again Peter! I thought Barton Le Clay was even better than it usually is and was well worth the long journey for me in the rain. A great day out!

Mick

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:06 pm

Those wagons are some of Steve's Gn15 i assume. Had to check website, but they look just right in smaller scale. That's something else to add to my shopping list for March.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:36 pm

Simon,

You are right about the small wagons they are Steve's Gn15 vehicles.

They are a nice small size and look similar to the ones shown in the Squires book. Really of course they should be ex first World war One bogie wagons, but these take up too much room on a tiny layout like mine.
Peter M

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:21 pm

The WLDR A class wagons are small, about same size. Mine are to 1/35 scale, so I might think about Steve's when I build my 1/32 scale layout as it will be more freelance.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:20 pm

I will be at Stow Rail exhibition Stow on the Wold on Sunday May 18th with Two Sister's farm. If you can pop in and have a drive, I will be with my wife so another driver is always useful.
There are two other narrow gauge layouts in the show one is Mannin Middle by Peter Cullen. I saw this layout myself a couple of years ago at Barton Le Clay and it is is well worth seeing. The other is an ON30 layout called Tenessee Extraction by Paul Davies, which I am looking forward to seeing.

See StowRail 2014 website where you can download a programme.

The Exhibition opens at 10.30 and closes at 4.30.
Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Tue May 20, 2014 8:24 am

A few pictures I took of Two Sister's at the exhibition in Stow on the Wold.
It is a fabulous venue in a charming Cotswold town. The show was very well attended by a record crowd, despite the glorious weather outside.

The view looking out of the window from the operating side of my layout at about 9 30 am, all this and cream cakes to die for!
Peter M

Return to “gNot Minimum Gauge”