Two Sister's Farm Saga

A home for threads which don't relate to minimum(ish) gauge railways

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Re: Two Sister's Farm Saga

Postby docnjoj » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:44 pm

Simply wonderful. My wife grew up on a farm and worked for the Holstein-Freisan Co for years. Absolutely captures the large farm realism ans adds some wonderful rail trucks. Certainly an inspiration.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: British Narrow gauge, American shortlines,anything that runs on rails really.

Postby Broadoak » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:12 am

Hi David, many thanks for your kind remarks. They have got 2015 off to a very good start for me. :D

I have enjoyed exhibiting the layout over the years, and although very small it has provided much
fun and enjoyment.

Regards Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: British Narrow gauge, American shortlines,anything that runs on rails really.

Postby Broadoak » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:28 am

Some bales of hay which will be delivered to the extensive pig sties by the Davenport, on the Nocton estate a two foot gauge track ran down the centre of the pig sties.
This modified Bachmann On30 loco although it only has four wheels runs superbly over the dead frog points.

A birds eye view of the yard showing the very simple track layout.

A view taken standing under the bridge as a Simplex rumbles towards the camera as it sets off for another day in the fields.
Peter M

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:24 pm

Thanks Peter, for the first little train pictures of the new year!
Ken

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:04 pm

Many thanks Ken.

Happy New Year

Regards Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:23 am

A few more pictures I have found, taken when I first got the new camera and was testing it out.

Peter M

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:50 am

I hope that my layout is as much fun as yours. I'm getting close to having some workable track at least. Keep posting pics! :D
Ken

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:05 am

I was given a Concor switcher to use as power for one of my special shunters down on the farm. I decided to cheat with the wheel arrangement and call it a 2-4-2. I fancied something built in the farm workshop so thought a wooden body would make a believable alternative to metal.
I have made it up as I've gone along and now it is finished I'm quite pleased with its rustic look. The doors actually open using vertical hinges in the door and frame. The holes in the frame at the bottom of the door were done using a hot pin heated in a blow torch. It was not possible to get my pin vise drill close enough to do the job. All a bit of a bodge but it worked.
Here is a selection of pictures of the device in the yard at Two Sisters.

Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:10 am

Peter M
Peter M

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:35 pm

I'm in love with that rail tractor with the full roof and the cloth sidecurtains. Any chance of posting a few more pics of it.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:27 pm

Nice work on the loco design Peter! I'm always amazed at your little layout and how much joy I get from watching it evolve. Thanks again for sharing it with us. :D
Ken

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:14 am

Thank you David and Ken for your interest. I must admit I have run out of ideas for any new forms of motive power.
You never know I may get inspiration from somewhere.

Doc, I will have a look in the archives to see if I have any unseen pictures of the re-bodied Simplex you like.

Regards to you both Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:54 am

I assume this is the device you are interested in David.
It is supposed to be a Simplex with a home built wooden body to give the driver a little protection from the elements.
It is very loosely based on an actual Simplex locomotive that was owned by the Fleet Light Railway and used on their farm. The real loco had a higher body so the driver could stand up when driving.
On the model the body is lower to allow the loco to get under the bridge into the fiddle yard, As in the pictures. On the model my driver has to remain seated not that there is a driver because the vertical motor is where ho would sit.
The model is scratch built on a Model Power chassis but is a creature of moods in that it runs better some days than others.

Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:11 am

David as requested a few close ups of the wooden bodied Simplex, these only serve to show up its faults really.
So I used the opportunity to clean the track and wheels of the locos and stock and generally test the layout ready for its next outing in April.

I also thought it about time the driver, an ex commando had a change of shirt. He has worn the other red one for at least five years so I have re-painted it a sort of off white colour.

Peter M
Peter M

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:49 pm

Thanks Peter for those closeups. I am planning something like the full roof for one of my engines, and those really help.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:33 pm

I had a wander round down the farm this morning and took a couple of pictures of the new shunter's crew. There are two of them the driver and his young son.
I can't run the loco with the doors fully open as there is not enough clearance with the bride supporting wall. I can run with them slightly open though giving the onlooker a glimpse, it is the sort of thing children like to look at while at shows.

Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:05 am

A few pictures taken at Beacon-Rail 2015 exhibition on 11th April, an enjoyable small show where we were sadly the only narrow gauge exhibit.

While exhibiting at Tring we gained another sister.

Peter M
Last edited by Broadoak on Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter M

Simon
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Simon » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:47 pm

Love the guy lying on the bogie flatbed - bet that that model really entertained the 'non-serious' punters!

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:06 am

Thank you Simon, yes he did cause a little interest with the punters.

The annoying thing is I have no idea who made him, I was given a brown paper bag of various bits of military models in different scales, mainly mixed figures. They were poorly painted and glued together, but are fine having re-assembled them.
He was one of those of 1/35 scale that I re painted and pressed into service. I was also able to make up another couple of driver figures to replace some Siku drivers which I think are a bit too large.

Regards Peter M
Peter M

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:15 pm

Peter, I suspect the figure originated from the Ukraine. Many similar figures from Masterbox, Miniart and ICM.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:18 am

Simon, it is rather odd because the model is a single moulding, it is not made of lots of parts.
All my other figures are an assortment of parts but not the recumbent figure. He certainly got noticed at Tring.
Peter M

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:26 pm

Peter, I heard one of the little people grumbling about a loud grinding noise in one of the tractor transmissions... :shock:

I found a paper model tractor that is very detailed. I think I'll build the drive train and leave it in pieces for one of the shop projects in my garage. :D
Ken

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:00 pm

Peter, if the figure is a single piece, hard plastic, then I think it may be one of the 1/32 scale slot car racing figures. MRRC have a very similar figure, one difference is position of left arm, but MRRC(Airfix?) have been around for a long time. As you know the older pit crew figures were not dressed up in safety gear as they are now.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:35 am

A couple of pictures taken at a small layout show last weekend.

Peter M
Peter M

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:23 pm

That is some big loco! Where does the driver sit?
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Return to “gNot Minimum Gauge”