Two Sister's Farm Saga

A home for threads which don't relate to minimum(ish) gauge railways

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Re: Two Sister's Farm Saga

Postby chris stockdale » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:12 pm

You sure do keep busy Peter!

Cheers,

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: British Narrow gauge, British branch lines GWR,anything that runs on rails really.

Postby Broadoak » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:20 am

Stockers,
I no longer exhibit Two Sister's Farm and just set it up to run occasionally in the conservatory so with the new yard being in the spare bedroom I can run this every day. The room is quite large about 14 feet x 8 feet I have a GWR standard gauge layout on the other side of the room. Now I am fully retired it keeps me interested. I am a bit stuck for suitable materials at the moment though.

Regards Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: British Narrow gauge, British branch lines GWR,anything that runs on rails really.

Postby Broadoak » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:41 pm

I have managed to get a sheet of balsa wood at last. It was soft not hard balsa which I much prefer but never mind it has been used to make a loading dock. The next building to make is a small shed where the foreman can do his paperwork in the dry, in poor weather rain and so on. Not sure what it will look like yet I will make it up as I go probably. A card mock up might be best on second thoughts. Pictures in due course when there is something worth seeing.
At present I am enjoying the luxury of shunting a few wagons up and down a much longer bit of track than Two sisters as I sit at my PC.

Regards Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:23 pm

I have been able to get some balsa at last. Unfortunately it is the soft kind and I much prefer the hard sort, but never mind. I have managed to make the loading dock but need to make a structure for the foreman to do his load checking and paperwork under cover. I will take some photographs when it gets more interesting. I have made a rough mock up using card of what I think it will look like when built.
I also have added a few more items on the scrap piles, rather in the way it would happen in reality.
In the meantime a few photos of an operating session which I had recently.

Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:30 pm

I made a card mock up of the foreman's hut to see what it would look like in the small amount of space I have available for it. The loading platform I made with soft balsa, I much prefer the hard variety but I couldn't get it anywhere. The hut looked OK next to the loading platform so I went ahead and made the actual hut of balsa wood. I thought at first of a corrugated iron roof but settled for the usual asphalt covering.
The photos show the original placing of the loading platform and the foreman's hut.

Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:53 pm

A couple of photos to show the balsa hut under construction. It is made with an opening door which opens inwards, the reasoning being that the high winds blowing across the Fens might cause problems with door blowing back and forth. The door on the model opens and closes using a short length of paper clip top an bottom as hinges. Fixed in a pre drilled hole with super glue to help harden the balsa.
The hut has now been repositioned to a more useful site giving the loaders room to work. This is still only temporary to see how it works in practice.

Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:33 am

The Opel Blitz truck has always been a favourite because it was the first motorised lorry I built when I first had the idea of the potato railway. I would have preferred a Bedford version as I had seen photographs of working in the New Zealand logging industry. Ten years ago when I had the idea of the railway the Opel was the nearest thing I could get. I did however prove that it was possible to motorise the lorry with an Athearn switcher chassis that gave excellent running qualities.
At the time these photographs were taken I was adding more green vegetation testing clearances as I did so a bit at a time.

Peter M
Peter M

Remote1
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow gauge

Postby Remote1 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:28 pm

Superb, as always, Peter!

Steve
Steve

Modelling skills on order..........

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:42 am

A busy scene at the sidings, the loco in the foreground is about to leave with a loaded train of grain in sacks. The Simplex in the background has just arrived with a short train of empty wagons to be loaded later.
Note; Ground cover was being added at the time this photograph was taken.

Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:01 am

This selection of photographs shows the re-motored, well actually re-chassied GMC truck being tested pulling a short train of V tippers. These are Bachmann ON 30 items really but I think they look acceptable in a 1/32 environment. Ground cover still being worked on at this stage.

Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:07 am

The piles of rusting junk are still growing rather slowly as I find more suitable items in my scrap box.
The shunter has just arrived with some bales of hay to supplement the poor grass in a neighbouring field. The bales will be delivered to the fields where the cows are grazing by tractor and trailer.
The GMC rail truck is seen passing in the background with a minimal train of tippers.
I am disappointed with the way the foreman's hut has turned out so I will eventually re-build it in Plasticard, when I can replenish my stock. The model still needs more green ground cover at this stage.

Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:28 am

A few shots of the left hand end of the layout before being grassed over, a work in progress at the moment. I ran out of suitable glue which held up progress, but I have managed to get some more PVA which I like as it can be thinned with water which makes it more versatile. I have tried to represent the tpical fenland lanscape with a big sky.
You will note I often use shunters with bogies as these are preferred by the drivers for the extra braking they give because many of the wagons used don't have brakes.

Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:28 am

Following a trip up into the loft one evening last week I have found a few more bits and pieces from military kits that have never been used. The most useful was a jeep trailer, much too small to use behind a tractor but ideal for the scrap pile.This I tried in different places until I was happy with how it looked. Another small item was a jeep windscreen which I distressed until it looked interesting and that too went on the scrap pile.
I also added a lot more ground cover, testing clearances as I did so until I'm reasonably pleased with how it looks.

Original position of jeep trailer which I thought didn't look quite right.

Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:45 am

I have at last more or less finished laying on the basic green ground cover which was done using three different colours all by different makers as well. I mixed small lots at a time varying the proportions to give a more random mix. When the photographs were taken it was still a work in progress.

One of the larger shunters with a train of V hoppers passing a Fordson Super Major having its battery topped up.

Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:49 am

A selection of motive power at work in the yard, the ground cover is still being worked on at this stage.

Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:49 am

At this stage ground cover is still being added a little at a time then checked for clearances and smooth running.
The big GMC truck has proved to be more versatile than I originally thought it would be so can be used for pulling or pushing loaded wagons around the estate.

Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:17 am

A few more photographs illustrating a bit more ground cover having been added. It's a fiddly job a bit like ballasting, care needs to be taken to not get the flock on the rail head or in the flange ways. So it's a bit at a time, testing as you go.

Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:09 am

This vehicle, a Canadian Ford always got more comments at shows than any of the others, the most common being. “I drove one of those when I was in the Army.” Doing my National Service.

Another favourite is the tall Fordson Major these in reality really smelt gorgeous as they ran on paraffin.

Peter M
Last edited by Broadoak on Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter M

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:43 am

The Opel gas producer, not the most efficient vehicle as it produced about 40% of the power of petrol when running on the gas produced from wood shavings. That is why there is a largish petrol tank under the front nearside mudguard. The truck is started on petrol and then when warmed up the petrol is turned off and she runs on the gas, as most of the estate is fairly level the lack of power is not a problem. (All nonsense of course but my excuse for running an interesting vehicle.)
She is seen on a weed killing train, judging by the greenery badly needed. This was done rarely as the chemicals used damaged the track.

Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:27 am

The little Davenport shunting in yard a task for which she is ideally suited. You will note that the foreman's hut has had a coat of light green paint to smarten it up.

The grey device is actually a portable generator as well as a shunter and is shuffling wagons in the yard. Then pulling a small train across the open fen. More ground cover has now been added to give a neglected look to the track. The area round the loading bay and hut are still to be done.

Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:16 pm

A few shots of the wooden wonder built in the estate's own workshops at Grundy Fen. She is used mainly for the longer runs to the standard gauge interchange. It is obviously the school holidays as the driver has his son with him for company.

Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:32 am

Having delivered various tractor drivers to the fields the Canadian Ford rumbles past with a train of empty side tippers.

Rush hour on the fens.

Peter M
Peter M

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:22 pm

Peter,

You put the rest of us to shame with all these great updates.

Cheers,

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:41 am

Chris,
I don't know why but I find adding the ground cover a little at a time very therapeutic more so than ballasting. I'm trying to get a sort of buried track look but still keeping decent running which I find important. I am fortunate that I have on the other side of the room an OO scale shunting layout 14 x 8 feet, so I can operate that while glue is drying on the 1/32 scale yard model. Sitting at the PC and running trains to check clearances on the track is most enjoyable too.

Regards Peter M
Peter M

Broadoak
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Broadoak » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:36 am

The little Porter on its way to the stone quarry on one of its rare excursions out on the main line. She is often used during the potato harvest when she can stand in for a diesel that is otherwise engaged, or being serviced. I think she is an attractive little locomotive when seen shuffling along with a small train of wagons in tow.

Peter M
Peter M

Return to “gNot Minimum Gauge”