Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Rowley
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: paradise mining co type modelling

(F) 7mm scale -14mm gauge layout

Postby Rowley » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:46 pm

Hi Folks
During the last few months I've been working on a new layout. Owing to the fact that I wanted to be able to do it on the table in the living room I had to make sure that the base was nice and flat, so I decided to reverse the usual practice of having a flat board to lay the track on with stiffeners underneath. The basic outline track plan is as shown, with other track to be added as the mood takes. The size of the base is 3ft by 2ft.

It is made up of 3mm mdf which I had spare. I made ribs 4inches apart and 2inches high with where the track is to be tapered according

My idea is to use the pockets to locate removable scenery etc.
I've started to lay some of the track. Firstly laying 3mm strips to form the trackbed with cork on top. Then I used Roy Link (now KB Scale) components for the track itself.

All the best
Rowland Sutton

Rowley
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Rowley » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:05 pm

I'm thinking mainly of making it a mining type layout. The part shown as base at the back being in the mine area working anticlockwise exiting from the mine (inside line left side) climbing up to the top where I'll probably have a factory building then returning empty down back into the mine (right hand side). I already have a variety of mine skips and a Ruston & Hornsby loco that I've had standing by for quite some time but never got round to using.

The reason I'm having removable scenery (mainly buildings) is for storage and to be able to change the building if I fancy without damaging the layout
All the best
Rowland Sutton

Rowley
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Rowley » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:09 pm

Hi Folks
Just an update on my layout. I managed to get the points made ( another way of making points. modelling matters) and have got some more of the track itself laid

I've made a trestle for the inner track. still have to do one for the outer track. The space at the bottom is to be a small traverser. As for the points, I'm toying with the idea of having them lead to a turntable with tracks leading to an engine shed/workshop and a disused siding.
As for the mine itself I'm thinking of having it as a tourist site with visitors riding the train into the mine to see all the workings etc. The mine itself to be called "The Rowley Mine" (because I'm Rowley and it's mine)
All the best
Rowland Sutton

Rowley
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Rowley » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:34 pm

The trestle is only a temporary thing. As it is on a slope and I couldn't be bothered with a lot of calculations I made up a bit of track. As the track is normally made by pining it thro' the sleepers to the baseboard I had to make it on a bit of card then superglue the rails/pins and sleepers together giving me a piece of made up track like bought stuff.

I then made up a removable trestle/bridge to fit under mainly to see how the loco would be climbing up the incline.

After the track is all laid, and the ground under where the trestles sit I will probably either make a better version of a steel trestle or try a wooden one

All the best
Rowland Sutton

Rowley
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Rowley » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:44 pm

Hi Folks
Just to let you know, I've managed to get round to making the inner trestle. See pics

All the best
Rowland Sutton

Rowley
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Rowley » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:27 am

Hi Folks
After a few weeks of taking the wife for physiotherapy I have now manage to get a bit more of the layout done I've added another trestle so both are now done.

I haven't made my mind up yet whether to leave the ground below them as it is or to have a water feature (sound like a gardening programme) there.
I have now started to do the rest of the scenery work. This was done by using calico as the medium, just stuck to the formers and painted with white glue to stiffen it.

The 4 squares in the corners are simply cardboard boxes turned upside down
The turnout will either end up going to a turntable or a siding (I'm still undecided yet) . The rear of the layout will be built up with buildings etc.
That's all for now. Will post some more as the layout progresses
All the best
Rowland Sutton

Rowley
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Rowley » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:58 pm

Hi folks
Back again with an update. I warned you my modelling is spasmodic. The wagons need weathering but that will be done later

I managed to sort out the point working. I needed to get it over the train height so this is the result.

The lever has 2 slots in it to give tension to the points. I have also got a bit more of the scenery started.

The square slots in the foam at the back are for locating the traverser on the lower rear track. Will update when I get more done.
All the best
Rowland Sutton

Rowley
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Rowley » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi Folks
Just a line to let you know that I'm still around. Unfortunately doing any modelling has had to take a back seat as I have been doing some alterations to the house to make it more user friendly for the wife. Altho' not modelling, a few ideas have been knocking about in my mind.

My latest idea is to have the loco bring 2 full skips from the mine up to a building at the back, tip the load out and return to the mine. The tipped load would be the re-loaded when the loco was out of sight in the mine.
From the building there would be a conveyer to take the stuff up to a building on the top of the cliffs. Just an idea until I can get going again
All the best
Rowland Sutton

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:12 pm

Hi Rowley,
I don't know if it will fit but a Life-Like HO coal Tipple will give you a ready built loader that, with some internal baffling, will accurately load V-tips -

http://carendt.us/scrapbook/page57a/index.html

or

Your rolling stock should also fit under it OK because a Bachmann On30 Gas Mech loco can clear the bins without fouling.
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Return to “gNot Minimum Gauge”