(F) The Welshpool & Llanfair Railway

A home for threads which don't relate to minimum(ish) gauge railways

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: British Narrow gauge, American shortlines,anything that runs on rails really.

(F) The Welshpool & Llanfair Railway

Postby Broadoak » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:04 am

My wife and I enjoyed a trip on the Welshpool & Llanfair narrow gauge railway in Wales recently.

For more information visit their website at www.wllr.org.uk

We were pulled by The Earl, one of the two original locomotives built by Beyer Peacock & Co of Gorton foundry, Manchester in 1902. The locomotive smelt as good as it looked.
On the outward trip from Welshpool to Llanfair Caereinion we rode in an ex Zillertalbahn four wheel coaches, but coming back we got into a in more modern bogie coaches from Hungary.
The track gauge is two foot six so the coaches are about eight feet wide and surprisingly comfortable given the slatted wooden seats. The track looks to be kept in excellent condition which I’m sure helps to give a smooth ride.

Although not minimum gauge or anything like it, I think it is an excellent example of engineering and I thought others might like to see the pictures.

Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: British Narrow gauge, American shortlines,anything that runs on rails really.

Postby Broadoak » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:02 pm

A few more pictures taken on the Welshpool & Llanfair railway from the carriage window on the return trip.

The first is taken looking towards the front of the train running through typical rolling scenery.
The second is taken looking back at a level crossing, note the grounded brake van by the crossing gates.
The third is taken from the open balcony of the last coach coming round a curve on the way to Welshpool.
I must admit standing on the gently swaying balcony was a very pleasant experience.
Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:55 am

This attractive little Hunslet diesel called Ferret was in the yard at Llanfair Caereinion alongside diesel no 7.
Peter M

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Broadoak » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:34 pm

The signal box with pretty gardens and locomotive shed in the background at Llanfair Caereinion.

Miniscule Barclay 0-4-0 no 8 Dougal in the small museum at Welshpool.

Articulated Bagnell built in 1953 and at 28.5 tons the heaviest locomotive on the railway.

Brake van built by Pickering of Wishaw Scotland. I think this would make a very attractive model.
Peter M

Return to “gNot Minimum Gauge”