A home for threads which don't relate to minimum(ish) gauge railways

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

bahnindianer
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narro Gauge Gn 15 / Photograph

(F) Diema DL8 in 7/8th

Postby bahnindianer » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:27 am

I always look with great respect to those model-builders who use paper for their constructions. So I tried it too and I started with a small little industrial diesel-locomotive. The original was built by Diema and it's a DL 8. The scale is 1:13,3 or 7/8th. It will use LGB-tracks. Why this scale? I will use this small engine for our club-layout for RC-trucks, those where built in 1:14 scale.

Before I later do a lasercut in steel I will find out how everything works and fit together. So I decided to make the first model out of paper. The parts are drawn with CorelDraw and cut with my Craft Robo cutting-plotter. The paper is cardboard 0,3 mm thick. The model is a little bit more than 145 mm long, about 75 mm broad an about 90 mm high (from the bottom of the buffer to the top of the hood).

To build up this little engine took about 4 hours – the construction spread over nearly three days. For some parts I used three or more layers of paper. Everything is fixed with a very thin cyanoacrylate glue. After the builders job I painted my DL 8 with matte color. By the way I tried also some weathering.

Enough of the words, here are some pictures of the state reached yesterday evening. Enjoy the pictures and more on next Sunday.

George

Return to “gNot Minimum Gauge”