something 32nd and steamy.

A home for threads which don't relate to minimum(ish) gauge railways

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:58 pm

I have been messing round with some CAD stuff, a lot more difficult than I thought it might be.
Even though I am a mathematician, with a big interest in geometry and shapes, you have to think like the machine that would produce it, cutting here and there, adding elsewhere then making cuts. Quite a challenge but still fun. Only thing is not having enough time. Hopefully time spent on designs will mean 3D prints that would have taken me longer to build myself and not as good.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Coal

Postby chris69 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:28 pm

Hi,
absolutely love that steamer.Great modeling work.I have one question about the coal bunkers. You have 2 of them but where is it normally located if one has only one? Right,Left or does it matter????

Thanks
have a great modeling weekend
Chris :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: 8)
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:55 pm

wonder if coal bunker can be on either side depending which side driver is on. I've seen info on whether locos are left or right hand drive for standard gauge but not narrow gauge.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

bonneville
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: All things narrow gauge and crusty.

Postby bonneville » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:54 pm

Hello Gents.
I am not the most knowledgeable chap on steam loco design, I'm afraid, but I took inspiration from a charming little Kerr- Stewart loco called sgt. Murphy, on the teifi valley line in west Wales. She had two bunkers like my model, but one side bunker would be unusual,I guess for weight distribution reasons. Most Tank locos seem to have bunkers forward (Kitson, for example), or aft ( GWR pannier) but these are usually central to the chassis members.
I'm afraid that the technical nitty- gritty, is going to be down to far more knowledgeable folk than myself.

Regards, A.
Alex Housego.

In Rust, I Trust.

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:22 am

Thanks guys.It seems to be a real GNATTERY bugger ,right up our alley.
NO rules,just the way I like it.
Have a great evening/night/day (wherever you are)

Chris :roll: :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: 8)
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

Thin Layman
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Light railways, strange locos, narrow gauge, tramways, rural backwaters, obscure grotty industrial corners or any combination of the above.

Postby Thin Layman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:13 pm

Haven't posted for a while, but tempted to by the qualities of this little beastie.

What I like about it is the way it combines influences... the first painted pic says 'Irish 3' gauge' to me, with the long, squat tanks and sat-back cab, whilst the raised tanks and steampipes make it look a like a Baldwin or Alco pannier tank, the dome says 'Andrew Barclay' and the cab screams French metre gauge.

A nice blending of flavourings stirred expertly to make a harmonious recipe.

I would imagine that if one was to build a loco with a coalbox on only one side, one would put it on the other side to where the driver was going to stand, otherwise he and the fireman would get in each other's way.
Matt

bonneville
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: All things narrow gauge and crusty.

Postby bonneville » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Thanks Matt, she is a mixed bag!

I just took elements of various little locos I liked, and put them together.
I had so much fun making her, I am tempted to do another, maybe using a magic train chassis as a basis.

Thanks again, A. :D
Alex Housego.

In Rust, I Trust.

Return to “gNot Minimum Gauge”