A home for threads which don't relate to minimum(ish) gauge railways

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

My 1/35 APA box progress

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:38 pm

Thought I should start a new thread as this is not strictly minimum/miniature.
My circular APA box project is going well. Still some more detail required and some more real testing

Light is not ideal in my attic, but using flash kills some of the rich colour

Scale will be approx 1/35, on 16.5mm gauge representing 60cm gauge. Was intending to make it 1950s, but I think late 1940s is better.

I plan to use this 3 box format for some other layouts, one will definitely be WW1, to use some of my WW1 models. Another will be 1950/60s 1/32 scale to use some of my collection of diecast French vehicles from that period(can be changed around to add variety, where as kits need to be fixed down).

Here is the original thread, which is strictly speaking in wrong place
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=8757
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: British Narrow gauge, American shortlines,anything that runs on rails really.

Postby Broadoak » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:53 pm

I really like that Simon. 8)

I'm sure I can smell the Gauloise cigarettes.
Peter M

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:23 pm

Thanks Peter.
Once up and running it should be interesting as people will be viewing from non standard angles. I aim to use the same set up of 3 boxes for a couple more projects(including a WW1 themed one) .3 boxes works well, as they fit nicely in my car. Using curves rather than straights to link boxes, means 3 rather than 4 boxes make a circle. I am waiting for a small 45degree crossover to build the point section at back to link to fiddle yards.
I have tried to describe how it ill work to an exhibition manager but not sure if he quite understands. It is a nice challenge, a pity WW1 anniversary starts next year as it will mean this layout will take a back seat. Still hope to exhibit it at Bacup DCC in November.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

Joseph
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: H0 scale model railroading, APA Box Model Railroading

Postby Joseph » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:08 pm

Great work dear friend, Simon, i liked very much, keep up the good work, my best regards, have a nice day. :D

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:00 pm

thanks Joseph. It might interest you that I have managed to include 2 resin boats from Portugal. Anyone looking carefully might realise they are Vietnamese , but then that was a French colony once.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIETNAM-1-35-VIETCONG-SMALL-BOATS-RESIN-MODEL-KIT-/120945231360?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item1c28e5c600
One thing I like about modelling 1/35 or 1/32 is that it is extremely well supported by trade, especially military modelling trade, so things can be found in so many different places.
Layout is booked for LYDCC exhibition at Bacup in November. I would like to see if I can get a small article published in time. November is always difficult as magazines seem to like featuring layouts planned for Warley.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu May 16, 2013 8:42 am

just bought some more boxes for more projects.
Might build a 4th module which can be swapped for one of the town modules.
Also want to do something WW1 period to display some of my fragile WW1 models.
Then there is a Gauge 1 mini project, not forgetting the 9mm gauge layout using the Kato tram points. If this last works I might do something similar in G9, the other projects all being 1/32 or 1/35.
Should keep me going for a few years.
:lol:
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Mon May 20, 2013 7:55 pm

Simon

I like your work with the Ikea boxes.

Do you have photos of the locos and rolling stock we can see?

You´ve made me curious!

Daniel
I am interested in 20" , 18" and 15" railways. specialy the ones related to agriculture. I am also interested in (old) lime stone industry.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:44 pm

When I got back from France last week, the attic was like a sauna, so did not want to spend long up there. Now weather is cooler, I plan to build some type of temporary table top (4ft by 4ft) so boxes can be set up and tested. Must remember to add drivers to locos before pictures are taken :lol: :lol:
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:05 am

Simon

I understad that. Had same problem in an old wrkroom I had years ago.
Anyway that won´t keep us from enjoying your artistic work on the scenery.

Daniel
I am interested in 20" , 18" and 15" railways. specialy the ones related to agriculture. I am also interested in (old) lime stone industry.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:44 pm

got me a piece of Contiboard to make a test table 4ft by 4ft to set boxes up on. Managed to get it working. Boxes go over some edges, so may stretch tables to nearer 5ft by 6ft for exhibition. Still need to fix butterfly junction for fiddle yard, but idea seems to be holding up.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:19 am

Simon

Great that you are back to work (and probably loosing weight with the sauna. May be that would be a good method for me!)

What is ´Contiboard ?

Never heard it before so have no clue. Could you post a photo where one of the edges is vissible so i can learn?

Thank you!

Daniel

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:40 am

Contiboard is that stuff they make cheap bookshelves and furniture. Basically a very compact version of chipboard.Covered in a thin white plastic film, so easily wiped clean. MDF is now being used for similar things
I used to use it for building layouts but it is very heavy, but it comes in variety of widths so still useful for table tops. I have used also used it for a modular table which can be set up in variety of ways. OK as long as each piece is light enough to carry.
Attic is cool enough at the moment so won't be sweating off too much weight.
Hope to take some photos tonight
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:15 am

Thank you for the explanation.

Can´t wait to see the photos!

Daniel

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:11 pm

here are some new pictures showing setup in attic. not much room so only managed to capture 2 of the boxes
module on right hand side from front
for bigger pic http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/q-d-e-pic1.JPG

module on left hand side from front
for bigger pichttp://www.rue-d-etropal.com/q-d-e-pic2.JPG

the butterfly junction, using 2 peco setract points and a Bachmann 45 degree short crossing. The points had to be slightly modified
for bigger pichttp://www.rue-d-etropal.com/q-d-e-pic3.JPG
the points are only temporarily positioned to show where they will go. I need to fix them to a board and test. It is hoped that I can use the same points for different layouts, as I have ideas for WW1, and another WW2 layout.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:28 pm

Well, your work has passed the most difficult test in my world.

I don't clasify layouts by size, scale, theme or such categories.
Also not as 'finescale', prototypical or so.
For me layouts are divided into simply two categories: those which make me desire to get my hands on and the rest.

I would love to get my hands on a couple os spots you've created just to fill them with small details and figures.

Great work.

Daniel

Daniel O. Caso
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Daniel O. Caso » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:35 pm

Just one hint:

I would cover the space between modules with three pieces of black cloth to hide them. That would reinforce the presence of the scenbes.
It would be very easy to do with a piece of stripwood or wire bridging each pair of foreground uppper angles so the rectangular area of the cloth can hang and a triangular one be pinned at the back upper angles.

I don't know if this is clear. Eventualy i can make a drawing if you want.

My point is that it would hide everything but the modelled scenes.

daniel

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:05 pm

I know what you mean. I plan to put something to block gaps, and possibly make 'tunnels' to cover track as well. I am tempted to actually build some odd shaped modules to fit corners, but don't really have the time.
First exhibition is not till November, and after that I am mainly exhibiting WW1 themes layouts, which is why I am also thinking of producing something WW1 themed in 3 APA boxes.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:58 am

managed to set up most of what should go to exhibition, but space limited in attic. Gaps between boxes now have 'tunnels', and I also added some plastic cross braces to keep boxes aligned (the Gn15 ones had a tendency of moving slightly at exhibitions).
Once I was happy took the boxes apart so I can finish off details and get track working perfectly(ie clean). Also need to fit fiddle yards both on bottom and top levels, which is easier with only one box on table.
Also working on some 3D printed cafe chairs and tables. The first batch of plain topped tables look good, so just sent off order for some matching chairs ,as well as some similar slatted chairs and tables. Hopefully will post some photos soon.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:19 am

just received some 3D printed tables and chairs for my various 1/35 and 1/32 projects

I could up the size to 1/24, but there are already models available from Pola, where as nothing in 1/32 or 1/35 yet
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Just set up layout at LYDCC exhibition in Bacup. Amazingly it seems to work(well it did tonight, hopefully OK tomorrow). Also when I was looking around noticed that this is not the only 1/.35 scale layout in the exhibition as 'Q Dump' is also present , located at other end of exhibition room.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:23 am

got a lot of interest from the box design. Couple of problems with electrical pickup, especially when I turned my back.
Lighting in the hall was a big problem, so I got some desk lamps which helped.
Having done the show last year I expected to see more visitors but something had gone wrong with publicity. They had managed to link up with some local publicity last year, and that was not available this year. Pity as you never like to near empty buildings. Essential to use every trick in the book. At RAMMA they had given out free tickets for children, which might work better than family tickets.
No I can coincentrate on my WW1 models, but to keep variety I am also working on some non WW1 modules(APA box of course)
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Return to “gNot Minimum Gauge”