A home for threads which don't relate to minimum(ish) gauge railways

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

3D printed WW1 simplex locos

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:27 pm

Here is a photo of my 3D printed models of WW1 armoured and protected simplex locos in approx 1/35 scale
Currently designed to fit on Lima diesel shunter chassis which runs good enough for me at the moment. I have ordered a similar sized Tenshodo Spud so will design a baseplate to fit.
Simple wire hook couplings but I might design something more prototypical(but not necessarily that strong).
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Joseph
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: H0 scale model railroading, APA Box Model Railroading

Postby Joseph » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:30 am

Hello dear friend, it´s a very interesting work, i didn´t know this kind of locos, thank´s for sharing, my best regards, have a nice day. :D

Narrow gauge Nutter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: anything & everything narrow gauge

Postby Narrow gauge Nutter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:55 am

Hi Simon

interested in one of these, they look good :D

Can I order one?
David H-G, the Narrow gauge Nutter

Lost in France and loving it!

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:20 pm

Although they are OK for me I am still a bit apprehensive about putting them for sale on Shapeways. Still don't know how that process works, as they talk about making money, do you get some type of commission on sales.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9, 15" gauge, industrial modelling

Postby Brack » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:53 pm

yep, you can set your own royalty on each item, though given the shapeways base price you can't add that much on! You don't have to add a royalty though, you can just offer them at normal price, but if you've done the design work you probably deserve the odd quid or two...

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:34 pm

I eventually found the page with info about shops, not easy to find. I know everyone has different ideas on commission, but surprised there isn't a default of say 10%.
Will have to tidy up some things on model before setting up shop. I managed to keep sizes down to a minimum which keeps price down. Probably looking at around about £40 plus postage for body, chassis would be about another £10. That's for the basic material, some people prefer to pay for 'better' quality. the basic suits me.
If I as to have to get models printed off myself, I would probably charge a bit more
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:21 pm

If you need any help or advice on Shapeways shops, feel free to ask.

I'm trying to make a living out of it, so my commissions tend to be a bit bigger, mostly around the 20% mark, but a percentage is not always the best way to work. I try to keep everything affordable and comparable pricewise to similar things already on the market.

You won't make a fortune, but you might get one or two free models.

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:31 am

Tom, you have already helped a lot already, and I have bought one of your coaches. After I made the comment about shops I found the page on the Shapeways website, which was not as easy as it should be, almost like they are hiding it.
I would not expect to make a fortune but it would be nice if someone got one of my models. I have stressed that its not dead scale(many military models seem to mix up scales as well), but captures the spirit of the loco.

Just an idea from your collection, the coach seating in 1/35 would be popular. Would make nice garden and station benches.
About 20% would be nearer the minimum I would probably add on, but you have to look at what is average price for models in chosen scale. From what I have seen railway modellers in 1/32 and 1/35 are prepared to pay more, but military modellers in same scale have relatively low prices, unless its resin or metal. Price of figures might reflect cost of production and design, but if you need a lot for a scene, the cost is prohibitive. Someone else made similar comment concerning Scalelink figures, nice but prohibitively expensive, but actually cheaper than some others. One reason I am searching out plastic kit figures which can easily be adapted.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:55 pm

I think I have set up my Shapeways shop properly. Difficult to check everything(ie prices) as I am logged in so it shows price I pap, I presume,

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/Recreation21

Initially just the two Simplex bodies plus a chassis plate to fit Lima motor bogie. I am part way through designing one for Tenshodo Spud, the first print needed small mods to fit.

I plan to add some more of my designs if these are working OK.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:54 pm

They work ok for me Simon, prices are in euros and a picture from underneath for both. The only thing I spotted was on the description of the armoured was a letter s missing from was.
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:46 pm

my keyboard is a bit dodgy. normally pick up on most of the missing letters. It was the prices listed that interested me. According to the help page you just add commission to Shapeways price, but as far as I can tell I see the original price. Should be about 38 euros for body.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:46 am

Interestingly they are about 37 euros but I'm sure they were something like 42 and 43 euros last night :?
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:53 am

I adjusted price as had not taken account of VAT. Trouble with not being able to see what they look like to others, as Shapeways shows me page with price for me.
Price sounds about right now. If I was to print a load off myself and sell at shows I might have to add more on, bearing in mind postage on one item is high, but OK when you buy several items. It has allowed me to produce model for myself, and a challenge , but fun in the end.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9, 15" gauge, industrial modelling

Postby Brack » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:11 pm

log out of shapeways, then search for them, and you ought ot see what everyone else sees (unless your getting logged back in automatically). I often check my stuff just to make sure it looks right.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:50 pm

could not find a log-out button, but have noticed I do have to log in occasionally. Many systems keep you logged in for that day, so ill try tomorrow .

Just looked at Shapeways and noticed it did not recognise me on general page so had a look at my shop page and prices included markup. The markup isn't much, but I did not ant to make it too expensive, even though many modelling 1/35 and 1/32 narrow gauge expect to pay higher. Many of the military kits are around this price, and I think some might be interested in included a narrow gauge railway.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:08 pm

The sign-out from Shapeways is now in a drop down from your profile picture at the top right - probably be a smiley face if you don't have profile picture.

If you use Chrome just open the page in an incognito window.

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:23 pm

thanks, found it. I think current web design theory is that 'sign out' should not be seen, but on a drop down menu. same on hotmail.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:11 pm

just been asked to up the simplex to 1/32 scale, which I have now done and someone has ordered a model. I know it should work, as increasing size has less problems that reducing size but a bit nervous till it is actually printed. As I am not interested in a 1/32 version at the moment I won't be getting one myself yet.
One thing I have thought is whether it would make a good model in Gn15, as its already pretty big, and could squeeze a bigger figure into it. Might be a contender for a fully open(no doors) version.
Would like to try redesigning it for 1/24 or 1/19, but would have to start from scratch as simply re-scaling would not only result in a hefty price tag, but some details might not enlarge so well.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways; beer; Goblins

Postby RoGNer » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:15 pm

I'd certainly purchase one in Gn15 :D Maybe 2 !

Roger
Keep it on the Short and Gnarrow!

The Lea Bailey Light Railway - follow us on facebook..

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:46 pm

what I was thinking was that the 1/32, possibly the 1/35 was big enough for Gn15. Just look at some of the scale drawings for these locos.
First thing for me would be to remove the doors to make it the open version.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:55 pm

just designed the open version. Found 2 variants, with and without roof attached front deflector.
Will get them printed to test out. Will be a couple of weeks till I get them back, hopefully.
No interior yet, need to see how the spud sits first.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:05 am

Have really got into this 3D printing and am working my way through WW1 wagons . Now have designed and printed both types of Simplex open version, and SPUD fits better than expected. Also have versions of the protected with either one side's doors open or both sides. Interiors have also been produced which fit in OK. Detail is basic, but good enough for me.
I also have first test of a 20hp WW1 Simplex. Need to do some more work.
I upped one of the original protected versions to 1/32 on request, my first commission.
One of the wagons, a basic A class WDLR is ready and running. Other versions of A class need test printing, as does a B, a C a couple of D's, an E and an F. Have developed them as either a complete model(a bit pricier, and as basic, so just need to add flat parts(a lot cheaper ). Next wagon will be a van version on D chassis. Would like to do some of the French wagons to fit Pechot bogies I have already designed.
One thing I am now looking at is coupling mounts, possible NEM so can use variouys couplings.
Note I am developing these initially for myself, but they are (or will be) up on my Shapeways shop for others to buy. I only put them on public display when I am happy with them in reality. I have a small fleet of Simplexs now.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:37 am

Your getting addicted!

Know myself just how addictive this 3-D lark can be ...........

Still, there are much worse things to be addicted too and at least this one procedures some useful results to the rest of the world.

Tom

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:16 am

possibly addictive, but I am only working on items I want to have as models myself, and the WW1 centenary next year and the next 4 years is a mega big project that has got some of the leading model kit manufacturers working on overtime.
I am exhibiting my small WW1 module from January next year and want suitable wagons to run behind my Simplex locos. Suspect I will only be able to use the smaller ones for that, but am also planning a bigger layout using APA boxes which worked well with my 1940s layout. I have enough exhibitions booked for 2014 and starting to get some for 2015, and I think there should be enough interest to last the 4 years.
Not that I am forgetting other railway stuff and want to check out Steve's smaller wagons to see if they are suitable for another project. What connects these projects is the scale, namely 1/35 and 1/32 depending on the model.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Gleisbauer
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15, Narrow Gauge

Postby Gleisbauer » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:43 pm

Hi Simon,
do you mean cars like these:

When you are interested in the german rolling Stock i could send you some more fotos too.
Oh, and by the way: I have access to a piece of track in 60cm gauge, most likely french ww 1 - Stuff. If you want fotos it won't be a big deal for me to shot them.

Regards

Christoph
Modelling in H0, H0e, 2i (26,7mm Gauge in 1:22,5).
"Gleisbauer" is meanig Tracklayer- because thats what i´ve learned as job.
The Museumrailway where i'am active: www.kleinbahn-deinste.de

Return to “gNot Minimum Gauge”