A home for threads which don't relate to minimum(ish) gauge railways

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Small N gauge chassis?

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:12 pm

Not specifically minimum gauge, but with O9 and G9 modellers here, I am looking for a small N gauge chassis. no longer than 35mm max. The Kato chassis would be perfect if it as shorter, but there are some other small N gauge locos which cost a lot more. Alternatively is it possible to cut the Kato chassis down? Not something I would want to try but the Kato chassis is cheap enough.
I might have to resort to motorizing a wagon to push loco. Possibly a better solution, and cheaper.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:25 pm

The chassis under this is 25mm overall, with a wb of 14mm.

Only 2 wheel drive, but pulls well with a bit of weight on it. The chassis used to be available separately iirc.

Just measured a Kato, it's 30mm across the outer edges of the flanges.
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:49 pm

Barry
That was one of the models I considered. Its to motorize one of my new OO9 protected Simplex locos. as I have versions with inside visible finding a r2r chassis might be even more tricky, but that Aoshima chassis might do for loco powered version with doors closed.
I have just ordered some of the new Bachmann WW1 figures so want to create a small working diorama. A shortened D class van body will fit on Kato chassis, and still cost less than the price of the Aoshima chassis , Can't see chassis available on its own.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:47 am

I am sure is here somewhere, but what are the dimensions of the Bachmann N gauge diesel shunter. It looks shorter than the Kato chassis?
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:11 am

You can cut down the Bandai 4w chassis much more that the Kato one. You can certainly make it a little under 40mm long, but I'm not sure by how much.

It's still reasonably cheap and only a slightly inferior runner to the Kato one

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:50 am

35mm is absolutely max length. The Bachmann one looks like it could be cut down, and price isn't too bad.Nothing as cheap as the Kato one though.
It is to power a protected Simplex in OO9, but if necessary I will make it a dummy and have a powered wagon pushing it.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

csundstr
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Modelling small industrial prototypes in 3/8n20.

Postby csundstr » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:47 pm

Perhaps one of the diesel versions of these could work?

http://www.n-driveproductions.com/rangeandprices.htm

I haven't tried them and have been curious to hear how they work.

I have cut down Kato 103 chassis to 45mm, removing the coupler pockets and end beam detail. One vertical cut flush to the square segment with the screw on top at either end. You might be able to remove another mm or so from either end by milling the ends and replacing the screw with a SHCS, but I suspect you'll have a better chance of breaking the chassis than actually getting a significant length change.

Good luck!

Chris

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Re: Small N gauge chassis?

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:44 pm

I saw some OO9 models fitted with very small motors. I was told it was a Kato unit, and I think it was the original one used in the Kato Portram tram unit. I think Kato have redesigned the chassis but can't find out what it now looks like.
Also if Kato can produce such a small working chassis I see no reason why someone else should not be able to do so. Sourcing motors might be a problem but the mobile phone ones as I think are used in T gauge would be a start.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Return to “gNot Minimum Gauge”