Exhibition stand ideas for APA layout???

Gn15 modules built by GnAtterboxers ... in boxes

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

Exhibition stand ideas for APA layout???

Postby NotHarryPotter » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:55 am

hi folks,

in April I will exhibit my On18 APA layout at the Australian Narrow Gauge Convention at Bowral.
The APA layout is self contained ... a loop and sidings within the box confines.

Does anyone have any ideas at what height the APA (with top on and one side open) might best be displayed?

Having established a height, how might you build a stable stand. I am 6ft tall, and I imagine a height for adult viewing of 5-5ft high.
As I am taking other microlayouts the stand must be portable and not take up too much room in my station wagon.

Another layout I may take could be my 19 inch by 15 inch Gnatterbox challenge entry.
It too will need displaying at a reasonable height.

regards Geoff
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Re: Exhibition stand ideas for APA layout???

Postby KEG » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:23 am

We simply use ladders from the IKEA Ivar shelf system for our Gn15 layout. In our case, 128cm high http://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10039&p=116998&hilit=Baseboards#p116998

Some useful hints can be found here: http://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4824

Have Fun

Juergen

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:48 pm

I tend to prefer to have my layouts at standard table/desk height. This means small children can still see easily, and adults can always bend down to look. More difficult with a top on, as there is no downward view. The original Gn15 APA modules I built, had a sloping top so I could access from back easier. There did not seem to be a problem at exhibitions.
Stability is something I am worried about at exhibitions, and many of the higher displayed layouts do look a bit unstable.
Trouble is you are never going to please everyone, some like layouts high some like them low. I also like to be able to sit behind layout if possible, but have noticed some operators have high bar stools to sit on.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:57 pm

to have my layouts at standard table/desk height. This means small children can still see easily, and adults can always bend down to look.

I don´t exibit very often. But at those shows we usual have a few thousand paying adult visitor and only very few children.
So it is easier if the shorties bring stools or small ladders along.

Have Fun

Juergen

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Tue May 05, 2015 5:18 pm

Exhibiting at two different shows at the weekend I'd estimate that around 1/4 maybe 3/8 were children. It would be a shame if children were put off from modelling by only seeing chimneys go past.
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Wed May 06, 2015 8:13 am

Children come in all different seizes. To be on the save side, you have to present your layouts on ground level.

I think, it takes more to get children involved into model railraod building. You have to invest very much time, patience and money. At least give them a chance to try it out:

How did Geoff (nnotHarry Potter) solve his exibition problem? Any pictures?

Have Fun

Juergen

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed May 06, 2015 1:57 pm

at my last exhibition I felt guilty because main layout was a few inches higher supported on an old army stretcher. I noticed quite a few of the smaller children stretching to get a better view.
I do wonder if we are being too simplistic in the way we exhibit our layouts to children. We assume they want to be involved, when many are quite happy to watch and count how many wagons there are in a train. Some want to ask questions, but need encouragement, and it is not just going to be silly pointless questions.
I am exhibiting some of my mashed paper 3D artwork, and yesterday helped with a visit from local Brownie(Girl guide) group. They were encouraged to ask questions, and many of them were no older than my original art work and models using mashed paper, which Michael originally suggested back in 2006/7. In a lot of ways they behaved a lot better than some older children, but then they were in a properly organised group.
Thing is, I think, that if you exhibit something that interests younger visitors then they will be interested. It is as much those with the children, parents or group leaders who will help to encourage them, but they might also be directing them towards what they think the children are interested in.
On that point, I think some exhibition managers might be stereotyping children. Having a 'Thomas' layout isn't very imaginative, even the 'hands on' layout might not appeal to some. One comment I keep getting about my layouts is that they are eye catching and different. I always try to having a train moving, but also am happy to talk to visitors. It would be interesting to observe a larger group of children at an exhibition, because I think it would be different to the more usual parents and children.
Another advantage of have organised groups is that it would introduce possibilities of after show activities organised by these groups, in a similar way to school children being encouraged to write, draw, paint or just be creative to show what they got out of a school trip.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Emett-esque GN15

Postby backwaterscotland » Wed May 06, 2015 3:17 pm

My current layout uses a keyboard stand (intended for music keyboards), height is adjustable between 24 and 36 inches which is a good height for me looking over from the back and for children looking from the front while not being too low for adults. It also folds flat which is good for transport and storage.

My experience with children at exhibitions (and having one of my own) is that they are generally happy to watch as long as their attention is captured.

Andy 8)

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby NotHarryPotter » Thu May 07, 2015 8:31 am

Hi folks,
in April at the Australian Narrow Gauge Convention it was an all-adult audience. The APA layout was placed on a virgin APA box sans model railway to show people what the boxes look like, and to give a reasonable viewing height when placed on a standard plastic folding table.

Another On18 pizza layout has a simple stand made of plastic pipe and plywood to give a good viewing height when placed on a table.

Most problematic is my On30 Hoyt-Clagwell tractor factory layout. It is in a box with a fascia that limits viewing angles. You need to look straight into the layout to get the full effect. Higher is better for adults. I have a stand built of aluminium with a wooden top for this. In future I will make a fascia which allows me to stand the layout on the table on a box. The fascia will hide the box behind it. The following images on the Green Acres site were taken by myself. They show a set-up when I first exhibited the On30 layout. It was way too low in this instance!

I will take photos of the APA layout when I get a chance (and a better camera!)
regards
Geoff Potter
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby NotHarryPotter » Thu May 07, 2015 8:32 am

Bother,

have a look at the images of the Hoyt-Clagwell layout here

http://www.maggiore.net/greenacres/ScaleModel.asp

cheers
Geoff

Geoff

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby NotHarryPotter » Wed May 13, 2015 8:03 am

Further to this thread,

here is a video wrap overview of the Australian Narrow Gauge Convention at Bowral, filmed by Miles and Fran Hale from the US of A.

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/mrht ... ralia-2015

These interviews from the Convention include Gn15 locos and a depot scene by Jim Longworth, and On30 and On18 layouts by me.
Enjoy the nice contest entries as well,

best regards
Geoff Potter

Geoff

Return to “GnAtterBoxes”