15 / 18 inch Fairlie

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

FairlieCrazee
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Cats, Narrow Gauge, Doll Houses, Modelmaking, Large Scales, Theatre, Music, Art, Technical Design.

15 / 18 inch Fairlie

Postby FairlieCrazee » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:59 am

Does anyone know if they was ever a 15 or 18 inch fairlie built ? If so has anyone got any pictures of it ?
Art Music and Love is all I need !

Nikki xx

jameswaterfield
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: full size minimum gauge

Postby jameswaterfield » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:59 pm

As far as I know, sadly not. I think the 2 ft gauge "Little Wonder" on the Festiniog was the tiniest. Most were 2' 6" gauge or bigger

James
James Waterfield

RobM
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 16mm scale and G scale on various gauges

Postby RobM » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:10 pm

Would make an interesting project to model though- afterall there are two 10 3/4 inch gauge garratt locos on the Wells and Walsingham railway and they look great, so why not a 15/18 inch Fairlie :wink:!
Rob M

one wife, two kids, 7 pets and more modelling hobbies than is probably healthy!

FairlieCrazee
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Cats, Narrow Gauge, Doll Houses, Modelmaking, Large Scales, Theatre, Music, Art, Technical Design.

Postby FairlieCrazee » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:30 pm

seriously considering building one..

Nikki xx

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:04 am

The practical problem with a minimum gauge double fairlie is how do you fit it all into the loading gauge?

Remember in a fairlie you have the driver on one side, the fireman on the other and the boiler in the middle. It's hard enough to fit all this into the width of 2ft gauge locos - typically around 6ft, but to get it into the 5ft or so of an 18 inch gauge locos is a lot harder - unless you start breading a race of exceptionally thin loco crew !

Of course if you can find an imaginative way round this then I say let your imagination flow! Creativity is our greatest asset and I don't want to damp it down with mere practical details.

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:24 am

tebee wrote:
Remember in a fairlie you have the driver on one side, the fireman on the other and the boiler in the middle. It's hard enough to fit all this into the width of 2ft gauge locos - typically around 6ft

Unless of course Nikki is thinking of a single Fairlie...

cheers,

FairlieCrazee
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby FairlieCrazee » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:46 am

decisions decisions.... I dunno what to make now lol !

Nikki xx

Adam Roper
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Listers

Postby Adam Roper » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:44 pm

Would the Péchot-Bourdon be smaller than Little Wonder?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trench_railways

Or there is always the Surrey Border and Camberley Garratt to consider
http://www.royalvictoriarailway.co.uk/trains.html

We did have a plan for a 7.25" gauge double Fairley but you would have needed to sit astride the boiler..... :shock:
Adam

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:06 pm

The Péchot-Bourdon is quite a wide loco. It might be possible to squeeze crew in either side.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:11 pm

From the slightly weird and wonderful box - but take a look here for a 7 1/4" gauge single Fairlie:

http://www.stationroadsteam.com/stock%2 ... /index.htm

cheers,

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:07 pm

That has more of a minimum feel than miniature. Almost Emmett, like it. 8) Would be a challenge to build chassis though.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:44 pm

G'day Nikki
tebee wrote:
Remember in a fairlie you have the driver on one side, the fireman on the other and the boiler in the middle. It's hard enough to fit all this into the width of 2ft gauge locos - typically around 6ft

If you like to think outside the square you could always do like a 'shay' and move the boiler to one side of the chassis and put both the crew on the other-side. of the loco. This would give a narrower loco.
This would, of course, put the centre of gravity way out of centre and I bet there are a number of other-things that I have not thought of as well but it is your railway and you are entitled to do what you want :!:

Sorry, more decisions.
Have a good day
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

bonneville
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: All things narrow gauge and crusty.

Postby bonneville » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:01 am

I'm sure that whatever type of loco you decide on, with your skills and attention to detail, it will be a cracker!
Just get the styrene out and start playing around with shapes.

Just like the A-team, a plan will come together. :wink:
Alex Housego.

In Rust, I Trust.

david colley jnr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: all things steam, railways under 15" gauge and anything else that moves!

Postby david colley jnr » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:08 pm

I've often mused about a 15" fairlie, and the cab sizes have always put me off such an idea, especially when I was invited aboard one a couple of month ago.
I do love the idea of two separate controllable power bogie as the driver on duty explained the front bogie was slipping coming up through the woods so he left the rear driving and managed to get the front under control...
If the boiler was to be put on one side, the water could be on the opposite and so would help to balance out the loco.
It would be an odd shaped affair and be a hard job to fire as there are two fireboxes to feed, but would also be great fun!

Just my ramblings... Have fun and enjoy your plastic bashing!
Check out the website,

www.sherwoodforestrailway.com

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:02 pm

Peter Beevers is in the throes of building a 7 1/4" single Fairlie, more here:

http://pbeevers.blogspot.co.uk

and a quick mention and pic here:

http://www.pbre.co.nr/

cheers,

MichaelPG
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: 15", 18" & 40cm gauge railways and models

15" / 7 1/4" gauge Fairlies

Postby MichaelPG » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Another single Fairlie on 7 1/4" gauge was built for Rodney Weaver at the Echills Wood Railway - it wasn't a success and most of it has been scrapped. There's a successful one running at Beer Heights.: http://www.pecorama.info/beer-heights-l ... /claudine/

When a new loco was being proposed for Perrygrove I tentatively suggested a single Fairlie. Nobody else thought it was a good idea.

I think it might just be possible to have a 15" gauge Pechot Bourdon with the correct "one piece" Fairlie boiler. Assuming a maximum width of 54" and 28" for the fireboxes and cladding you would have 14" each side. But nobody will ever build one of these full size because it would be too wide for the Ratty and too high for everywhere else - the only place I can think of where it could run is Perrygrove and we wouldn't want it (two crew needed and a high risk of burns).

But don't be put off building a model - that's the fun of models, they can be anything you like.

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Re: 15" / 7 1/4" gauge Fairlies

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:30 pm

MichaelPG wrote:Another single Fairlie on 7 1/4" gauge was built for Rodney Weaver

Hi Michael,

I assume that was MINIM, written about in The Narrow Gauge no.136. To my eye a rather ugly slab-sided beast but Rodney wrote quite encouragingly about it at the time.

cheers,

jefran
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways

Postby jefran » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:44 pm

There is always the Greenly Fairlie; I have seen a schematic for a 15in one (possibly for the R&ER) but I can't remember where! As I recall it was a 2-6-4 or 2-8-4, with the pivot on the power bogie quite far forward, and the driver sat over the non-powered one
Andrew Lamin

Adam Roper
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Listers

Postby Adam Roper » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:43 pm

jefran wrote:There is always the Greenly Fairlie; I have seen a schematic for a 15in one (possibly for the R&ER) but I can't remember where! As I recall it was a 2-6-4 or 2-8-4, with the pivot on the power bogie quite far forward, and the driver sat over the non-powered one

Try the Sand Hutton Book
Adam

smr779
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Ride-on railway building

Re: 15 / 18 inch Fairlie

Postby smr779 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:13 pm

A bit late, I guess, but a future project of mine (having completed the single mentioned above) is to build a minimal double fairlie for 7.25" gauge. It will look like a fairlie, have two separately controllable power bogies and two chimneys that make a noise. The one thing it won't have (to make it practical) is a full length boiler, making it technically a kitson-meyer.
Thus far, I have built the bogie frames and boiler cradle.
Peter

CanveyRay
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Model Engineering, NG Industrial Locomotives and running Barking Park Light Railway.

Re: 15 / 18 inch Fairlie

Postby CanveyRay » Thu May 03, 2018 7:15 pm

Hi,
Peter Beevers, of Peter Beevers Engineering has built a single fairlie in 7.25", if that of any interest? It runs regularly at Swanley Park in Kent.
Ray A.

Return to “Prototype Prattles”