Single Fairlie

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

smr779
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Ride-on railway building

Single Fairlie

Postby smr779 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:26 pm

It's been a while since I posted here, so I thought it was probably time to bring you up to date with my 7.25" gauge loco building exploits. A long running personal project has been to build a single fairlie, a cousin of Taliesin at the FR. She has taken about 3 years to build, and her first public running day coincided with ExpoNG, which is just over the hill from our railway.

fd1s.jpg
fd1s.jpg (236.61 KiB) Viewed 808 times
Peter

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Re: Single Fairlie

Postby docnjoj » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:14 pm

Wow that is gorgeous. I have just started to model in G9 and this gives me hope that I can use slightly wider locomotives. What is the width overall?
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:14 pm

Doc,

I think she's 28" wide. i.e. about as wide as one goes on 7 1/4". She has her own page with info and pics on Facebook here:

https://www.facebook.com/aneirin.fairlie?fref=ts

Cheers,

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:16 pm

28" confirmed, just found this: 50" high x 28" wide

Cheers,

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:34 pm

Thanks Stockers. In my world 28" means 28mm and that is possible on G9. Hmmmmm...........maybe after I finish Steves stuff I just got.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Return to “Prototype Prattles”