semaphore signals?

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

DuffieldBank
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15, miniature railways, live steam, anything Heywood

semaphore signals?

Postby DuffieldBank » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:16 pm

Hello chaps. Would anyone have more information on this type of miniature semaphore found at the Ashmanaugh Light Railway? Some rough dimensions and construction notes would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

ashmanhaugh semaphore signal post.JPG
ashmanhaugh semaphore signal post.JPG (179.92 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
I like pie.

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Re: semaphore signals?

Postby Nevadablue » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:49 am

I don't have info, but I like it! Photo saved, thanks!
Ken

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:51 am

DuffieldBank
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby DuffieldBank » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:33 pm

I've already done so Stockers!

=P
I like pie.

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:11 pm

Good oh!

Do let us know what you learn please.

Cheers,

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways (WHR and FR in particular), Gn15, 16mm/ft, 7mm/ft, too much going on in life to have a website to look after!

Postby Steve Holland » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:55 pm

From an S & T engineer's viewpoint is it upper or lower quadrant, or (as there does not appear to be any operating mechanism) a fixed distant?
Before anyone asks - S & T = Signals and Telecommunications, or Sick and Tired (after a rough 12 hour commissioning equipment trackside in the winter), or Sabotage and Terrorism :shock: It all depends on your point of view.
Steve Holland

Keep banging the rocks together

nonsuch
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge Industrial Railways

Postby nonsuch » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:39 pm

Steve
As it is a fixed distant signal - yellow and black with a fishtail - it doesn't need any operating mechanism, and the quadrant type is thus irrelevant.

Neil B, sometime railway signal engineer
Neil B

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways (WHR and FR in particular), Gn15, 16mm/ft, 7mm/ft, too much going on in life to have a website to look after!

Postby Steve Holland » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:15 pm

As a full time working, IRSE licensed, signal engineer the shape and colouring of a distant signal arm is always the same, fixed or not. That is yellow with a black band and fish-tailed (after 1923; prior to that they were red). The shape of course is a visual identifier to differentiate it from a home (stop) signal. The rear face has always been white with a black band.
The signal in the photo has an unfortunate feature in that if the bolt fixing the arm to the post should become loose, the arm will potentially drop to a clear position - a 'wrong side' failure as it is unsafe. All lower quadrant signals had a large heavy spectacle casting that would return the arm to danger if any part of the mechanism failed - this one does not. Of course there could be a stop to prevent the arm drooping on the back of the arm that cannot be seen in the photo. I hope so, especially if the rest of the signals on the line are lower quadrant.
The last time I had anything to do with a mechanical distant was at Radyr, for the Radyr - Pontypridd resignalling when one was installed underneath the Up starter and motor worked from the new solid state interlocking. Shame we recovered it on a later stage of the job as I think it was unique even then and nothing like it has been done since.
Steve Holland

Keep banging the rocks together

DuffieldBank
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby DuffieldBank » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:39 pm

I've managed to draw up a GWR finial for when I actually start building these. I will 3D print them at 1/3 scale size for my backyard line.

Cheers,

Chris

GWR semaphore finial test print.png
GWR semaphore finial test print.png (56.77 KiB) Viewed 824 times
I like pie.

Return to “Prototype Prattles”