Duffield Bank Quarry Tunnel

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

GFHenshaw
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: 15" Gauge Railways, Heywood and Duffield Bank.

Duffield Bank Quarry Tunnel

Postby GFHenshaw » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:07 pm

Evening everyone
First post here but hope to be a regular contributor this forum. My friend and I live very near to Duffield Bank Railway and when exploring a public footpath next to Edgehill House in order to spot any signs of the railway (a bridge or clearing), we came across a quarry/pit with a railway tunnel cut into the rock. It was not lined with brick or masonry. I returned home to read up on my Heywood book, but found that Edgehill Station was named after a property south of the line. I then realised that Tennis Ground Station was on the other side of the tunnel, and we were observing from the south of the loop.
Anyway, I am very confused as to which tunnel this is, as the Southern Tunnel is brick lined and goes in a complete loop while this quarry tunnel was straight. I am also told that there was a tunnel in-between Tennis Ground and the Southern Tunnel, but was removed circa 1881.
Could anyone please clarify whereabouts this quarry tunnel is on the line and what is on the other side. I’ve attached some photos. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
George Henshaw

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Re: Duffield Bank Quarry Tunnel

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:37 am

Welcome George! I can't help with your questions, but I am happy to see another member who is interested in history.
Ken

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Hi George,
Sorry I can't help with your query but it prompted me to have a look at the area on Google Earth. I was rather startled to see that the village just to the south is called Little Eaton which makes Sir Arthur's masterpiece being built at Eaton Hall 80 miles away seem a rather spooky coincidence.

Cheers
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

Adam Roper
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Listers

Postby Adam Roper » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:25 pm

The Heywood book gets the location of the tunnels wrong as it puts the small tunnel on the wrong line - I will check tonight and confirm which tunnel this is.
Adam

Adam Roper
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Listers

Postby Adam Roper » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:39 pm

A quick check shows that this is probably the tennis ground tunnel.

There should be 2 tunnels close together on the southern loop - one between Tennis Ground and the quarry and another from the quarry on to the southern curve.

The maps are a bit confusing as the southern curve can look like a tunnel but isn't while some maps have the tennis ground tunnel on the western line when it should be on the eastern one.

Hope this helps
Adam

GFHenshaw
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: 15" Gauge Railways, Heywood and Duffield Bank.

Postby GFHenshaw » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:29 pm

Thank you Adam, I believe you have provided me with the answer. The pit veered off to the right if I was going out of the tunnel, so I think we have found the southern loop as you said. What threw me was books describing the south loop as a tunnel when it is just a quarry pit that forms a loop.
Thanks again.
George Henshaw

jameswaterfield
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: full size minimum gauge

Postby jameswaterfield » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:51 am

This is the southernmost rock tunnel, not Tennis Ground. Howard Clayton gets this wrong and Smithers repeats it. It is the only genuine tunnel that was needed as it cuts through a spine of rock. The other are all cut and cover. I can speak with some authority because I have been there a number of times

James
James Waterfield

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:43 pm

This is interesting and shows that 'historical' documents can sometimes be wrong and then reinforced by later 'authors'. I've been snooping old silver mines in Nevada for a long time and have another example of that. One mine was said to be connected by a tunnel to another mine on the other side of the mountain. I'm sure that the original 'author' studied records of the mines and 'assumed' that the tunnel was finished. A later 'author' copied the first and said the same. The tunnel was never finished. I've been to the solid rock face at the end of the drift quite a few times and it never changes. The connection was never made. Sad too, because it would have been fun to walk through the whole mountain.
Ken

DCRFAN 3
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby DCRFAN 3 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:37 am

I had the same experience in New Zealand. A book was published stating a locomotive was still down a mine shaft when it was closed are a catastrophic instant flooding. I located information it was last used in another tunnelling operation so I contacted the authors. 'No way, it's still down the mine' they replied.

I replied I had country evidence. They respond their evidence was from the operator of the mine shaft winch on the shift before the flooding who stated he lowered the loco down therefore it was fact.

I replied I had watched a film of the loco operating year later in a different location (and provided reference of the film held in a city council archive) and copies documents detailing the later life of the loco.

After about a year the eventually capitulated and agreed I may be right.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:35 am

Thing is, people grumble about inaccurate info on internet, but it is nothing new. Original records are still best source, but often for various reasons they get lost or destroyed. Talking to old workers should produce accurate info, but memories can play tricks. Build a model of a local prototype(my local club at the time did that) and guaranteed at exhibition someone closely associated with the location(in this case I think it was a retired signalman) will say something is not right, when we know we worked from photos and drawings which prove we were correct.
I have fallen in same trap, being convinced I had seen some layout 40 years ago, but since found out it was never exhibited.

Errors do creep into published work, one reason for references being included, and then new editions being produced. Quite often it is just a slip of paper included with changes.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:28 pm

All true Simon. The errors give us something to do. :D I know that I've very much enjoyed comparing the reports and books of a given mining district to what can be seen on the ground. Makes the day more fun.
My best friend (who moved away and we no longer take those excursions) and I spent weeks of study and days of exploration looking for a cabin that was reported in a 1918 or so newspaper to have been the site of an Indian massacre. Even had pictures... but we never found the site. Lots of fun trying.
Ken

Return to “Prototype Prattles”