Sleeper Depot Film

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

ijopson
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: MODELMAKING, WOODWORK

Sleeper Depot Film

Postby ijopson » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:31 am

One of my old school mates has used facebook to put up a short British Pathe film of the old GNR/LNER sleeper depot at Hall Hills in Boston, Lincolnshire. It is very interesting to see the mixed standard and narrow gauge trackwork (some of it very complex), as well as the processes of production and manufacture. Anyone wanting to model a scene like this will need a lot of strip wood!
The link is :-
www.britishpathe.com/video/sleepers/que ... ncolnshire

I must admit, I remember the disastrous fire there in the early 1960s, as I was one of the many watching it from across the river Witham, and we could feel the heat from there. A quick satellite Google earth will show the site as it is now. Only the main workshop building remains, though it was a car repair shop last time I saw it.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Re: Sleeper Depot Film

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:47 pm

interesting,but need to freeze frame to pick up detail. is that staircase just sleepers(presumbly longer) slotted into pile of sleepers.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways (WHR and FR in particular), Gn15, 16mm/ft, 7mm/ft, too much going on in life to have a website to look after!

Re: Sleeper Depot Film

Postby Steve Holland » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:36 pm

Health and Safety in action 1930's style! :shock: Who needs handrails - if you fell off the stack it was your fault for not being careful. Thank goodness we have (hopefully) eliminated those sorts of attitudes from the workplace now.
I guess that the stairs are just normal length sleepers cantilevered out from the stacks as they were built. Having mauled a few sleepers about I can verify that they are *&^%$* heavy so keeping the stairs in place would be no problem, they would just have to be very careful when dismantling a stack to send the sleepers out for a re-laying job. Hope that they were good at Jenga :D
Steve Holland

Keep banging the rocks together

Return to “Prototype Prattles”