Petrol Locos

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

farholmer
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Railway obscuranta

Petrol Locos

Postby farholmer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:24 pm

Hello Folks,

Long time since I visited here, so I hope nobody will mind if I return with a question, well two actually.

I've found a photo on Flickr, which shows a train of skips on the Easton Hall railway, with what looks like a petrol loco in the middle of the rake. To me, it looks like a Stansteco/Jung loco, with sloping bonnets at each end, but it is very hard to see. Does anyone know whether this is one of the two Simplexes "in fancy dress", or something else?

Secondly, the first petrol loco used at Blakesley Hall, before Blacovesley was built; does anyone have anything resembling a drawing showing how it was arranged? To me, it looks like an Otto/Crossley engine on a chassis, but I'm not even sure about that, and the transmission layout I can't make out from photos.

Many thanks in advance, Kevin
Let the grass grow between your rails

farholmer
'boxer
'boxer

Re: Petrol Locos

Postby farholmer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:37 pm

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:06 am

I can't see much detail on my phone but it's probably one of the two Simplex locos that they had at different times.
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:23 am

Whilst there are three photos listed as Eaton I have to wonder if that is actually the location.

I say this as this photo

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8685/170 ... 55_o_d.jpg

looks to be a much greater gauge than 15", it looks more like 2' to me.

There is a mention of a batch of six tipper wagons being built for Eaton, but more than six are appearing in these photos. In addition the Smithers book has a couple of photos where a single skip appears, but that is clearly a different design to the skips in the Flickr photos.

Cheers,

farholmer
'boxer
'boxer

Postby farholmer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:54 am

Hmmm ...... I was so obsessed with the loco, that I didn't look at the track, and I think you are right that it isn't 15", but 24".

So, it is either something "not the classic", laid temporarily at Eaton, or somewhere else altogether.

To me, it has the look of a demonstration run, with the loco in primer, and a gaggle of potential purchasers being shown its capabilities, but that is a guess, no more.

Besides the Stansteco/Jung, the other locos that looked like that were Austrian-Daimler ones, which had a ridiculously fancy engine for a rail tractor, something more suited to a sports-tourer. A few were imported to the UK.

Satisfyingly mysterious!

Kevin

farholmer
'boxer
'boxer

Postby farholmer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:14 pm

Further detective work ...... I am reasonably certain that the loco is an Austrian-Daimler SL12A, the framing being very distinctive. https://www.dorotheum.com/cz/aukce/aktu ... ge=1&img=1

It was the SL30 that had the very fancy engine; I'm not exactly certain what engine this one had.

I've posted questions via the IRS forum, and to the owner of the photos on Flickr, with a view to finding out more about these images.

K

Return to “Prototype Prattles”