Ravenglass I/C and ballast wagons

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Gatesy
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Minimum gauge railways, 15" gauge prototypes

Ravenglass I/C and ballast wagons

Postby Gatesy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Hi

A couple of requests for info. I know it's been mentioned here before a couple of times, but from my mainly internet searches there seems to be not a lot of photos out there for early Ravenglass petrol locos and rail scooters. One reference I see mentioned here is The Narrow Gauge issue 35, but I can't locate a copy. Does anyone here have one they would be able to copy? I'm particularly interested in photos of the various rail scooters, as well as ICL1 fitted with the Douglas flat twin engine.

Secondly with regard to the bogie ballast wagons I have so far come across 2 photos of the wagons, and none of them showing a loco hauled train of the wagons. Does anyone know of any more photos of these, and also where I might find drawings for them?

Many thanks for your help

nonsuch
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge Industrial Railways

Re: Ravenglass I/C and ballast wagons

Postby nonsuch » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:29 pm

Hi Gatesby

I have a copy of Narrow Gauge 35. I will dig it out from its resting place and check how useful it is likely to be.

Cheers

Neil B
Neil B

Gatesy
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Gatesy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:15 pm

That's great, thanks

nonsuch
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge Industrial Railways

Postby nonsuch » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:42 pm

Hello again Gatesy

Narrow Gauge 35 contains six A5ish pages with brief descriptions of all the IC locomotives from ICL 1 to 'Royal Anchor'.
It also has two photographs, one of ICL1 in its later condition, the other of a vehicle that does not tally with any of the locomotives described.
It has four wheels, an exposed power unit and a square superstructure. It looks too small to be pulling the train that it is attached to.
Could it be a weed sprayer or some such maintenance wagon?

Is the article of use to you?

Neil B
Neil B

Gatesy
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Gatesy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:46 pm

Hi

yes that does sound like it would be of interest.

I wonder if the second photo could be of the Ford model T based crewe tractor, which I think ultimately became ICL1. That was at some point fitted with a shed like drivers cab. Or maybe it could be one of the scooters??

Many thanks

Adam Roper
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Listers

Postby Adam Roper » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:07 pm

The Bedside Ratty has a picture of a tiny scooter made from left over bits of other things.

The other scooter kept having bits added and taken off which makes it look like it was more than one thing - the small Heywood wagon chassis is the give away as it seems to have been used throughout. It should be a 2 foot by 3 foot one from the early phase at Duffield Bank. It had a wicker basket on at one point.
Adam

adibitar69
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: playing cricket
Learning new things
Browsing internet

Postby adibitar69 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:04 am

Nice, interesting...

Return to “Prototype Prattles”