The Helsby Cables Ruston ZLH

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

jefran
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways

The Helsby Cables Ruston ZLH

Postby jefran » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:24 pm

Having read the Moseley Trust book, I was looking around for more on this loco and came across some discussion of it in the modelling matters forum over 3 years ago. One of the things considered was whether the loco had inside or outside frames, some saying one thing and some the other. I am in the process of making one to run on my 15in gauge Train Simulator routes (or anyone else's !) and have got to the point where it looks recognisable:-

Image[/img]

This is the closest I can get to the picture on p41 of the book, and I suggest that the reflective cylindrical surface in the picture is not a wheel tread (inside frame), but the warning gong. There are 2 other pieces of bright metal in the shadow, which seem to me quite likely to be the ends of the axles boxes. Has anyone found anything else on this machine?
Andrew Lamin

hecla777
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Heywood railway

Helsby

Postby hecla777 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:58 pm

I posted this link on the Industrial Railway Society's yahoo group but it is linked to this so will post it again here, from British Pathe :-

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=82810

ATB
Martin O'Keeffe

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9, 15" gauge, industrial modelling

Postby Brack » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:44 am

very interesting video. looks like the loco is fitted with a seuthe smoke generator too...

jefran
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby jefran » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:06 pm

Martin,

Thanks very much for this - how on earth did you find it? I only knew of one picture of the Ruston before this, so this amazing. The similarities between the 2 locos are very obvious, though I wonder if they were running both locos to impress the film audience. I have managed to extract some quote detailed pictures using the view stills option, though with the Pathe watermark on them.
Andrew Lamin

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:36 am

There are two preserved. Gloddfa Ganol had one (I'm not sure where that is now) and there is another in a museum in Lincoln.

Chris

steerngo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: most itams ng

Postby steerngo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:52 pm

Interesting film, I like the variety of wagons especially the well wagon. I take it the locos just had a water tank , and not a rad for cooling.

ken

jefran
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby jefran » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:59 pm

chris krupa wrote:There are two preserved. Gloddfa Ganol had one (I'm not sure where that is now) and there is another in a museum in Lincoln.

Chris

The other one is now at Aberystwyth, though whether it belongs to the VoR or the Phyllis Rampton Trust I don't know,

The engines were hopper cooled, in the same way as many stationary engines you can see at traction engine rallies, and the water tank was topped up as needed.

Both the Deutz and the Ruston are definitely outside framed which settles a point being discussed a couple of years ago.

Was the line 16in gauge or 400mm?
Andrew Lamin

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, photography, outdoor life.

Postby henrix72se » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:39 pm

Mick Atkinson (Simply78ths) started on a 7/8in version, but the project stranded because not one (except me) got interested ... See below pics.

There also was a commercial 16mm version, but seems gone, goggled a bit but can't find it any more :(

The drawings on my site at http://78n18.laurell.nu/downloads.html is maybe not the best (no measures included), but maybe worth mentioning. (it's in correct 7/8in scale if you print with no page correction)

/Henrik

I build Industrial light railways in 09 scale - http://Laurell.Today/

hecla777
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Heywood railway

Helsby Lister

Postby hecla777 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:14 pm

In addition to the Deutz and Ruston Proctor there was also a Lister railtruck works type RT number 8259 of 1936, the railtruck list shows this to be 16" gauge.

ATB

Martin
Martin O'Keeffe

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, photography, outdoor life.

Postby henrix72se » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:59 pm

Just found these pictures, did know I had them somewhere ... :D

Don't remember any details except it's made in 78n18 and it's taken on Rob's layout. Would be nice if anyone could fill in more info.

/Henrik

I build Industrial light railways in 09 scale - http://Laurell.Today/

jefran
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby jefran » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:20 am

I have just realised that the "other" ZLH has recently been restored by Allen Civil (of Bagnall fame); there is a picture of it in the NGRS magazine spring 2010. The article (by Robin Parkinson who wrote the Moseley Trust book) doesn't say where it is now, but it does have a shot of the cab interior with a description of most of the contols. There are a couple of things I am not clear about though,

- the "pull throttle" control is described as being on the left, but 2 items on the picture might fit that description, one looks like a small tap wrench in a horizontal position at the front of the cab, the other is a more substantial vertical knob which might conceivably move backwards and forwards in guides. (Which ever is the throttle, what is the other?)

- the flange on the back of what looks like a tank at the front of the cab with what appears to be a glass tube attached. The book refers to a sight glass for lubrication oil feed above the cab controls, so presumably this is it.
Andrew Lamin

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:41 am

Andrew,

At the risk of having a basket of rotten fruit thrown at me may I suggest you join the Moseley Trust (sorry, you will have to put up with yours truly as a fellow member) then you can ask questions like this to your hearts content on the old fashioned but still useful MRT Yahoo eGroup - members only?

Only a few quid a year, quarterley mag, free entry to any open days etc etc

(Am I tempting you yet? :wink: )

cheers

jefran
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby jefran » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:34 pm

Chris,

I might well do that, but wait until the new year to get 12 months for my £15 rather than 2 and a bit!
Andrew Lamin

Geeky Gecko
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: modelling in card

Postby Geeky Gecko » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:04 pm

There may be some others out there that havn't seen this:
http://www.djr12ecg.demon.co.uk/ruston/
(scroll down to 2nd photo)
Does anybody have some dimensions, perhaps wheel diameter or wheelbase?
Stefan

jefran
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby jefran » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:53 pm

Brian Webb's book gives 11'-6" over buffers, 6' high, 3'-6" wide and the Industrial Railway Record article gives the same dimensions.
Andrew Lamin

Geeky Gecko
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Geeky Gecko » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:17 pm

Thanks for that Andrew. Sorry I didn't reply earlier.
Regarding inside/outside frames, I noticed the Moseley Trust Book has a picture of a similar loco with inside frames, presumably for a wider gauge, on the cover:
and interestingly British Insulated Cables had a 3' 6" gauge system at Belvedere:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/5435785657/in/photostream/
Stefan

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:14 am

Geeky Gecko wrote:Regarding inside/outside frames, I noticed the Moseley Trust Book has a picture of a similar loco with inside frames, presumably for a wider gauge, on the cover

I'm not sure the gauge was relevant when it came to outside or inside frames, though it seems that all 5 of the sub 2' ones had outside frames.
The rest though were a bit of a mixture and it wasnt related to the engine either, both the 10hp and 20hp versions were produced with both types of frames.
If you are at all interested in these loco's the Moseley book is well worth getting and it has scale drawings of both versions.
Have to confess to being at bit biased toward the ZLH Rustons, as the one now owned by the Rampton Trust was the very first narrow gauge loco that I ever saw. I used to pass it almost every morning when I was a little kid, when it was owned by English China Clay down in Cornwall. Though at that time I was too young to understand what it was :lol:
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Geeky Gecko
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Geeky Gecko » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:00 pm

Stefan

Return to “Prototype Prattles”