(F) Ratty Shed (Aka Whatisit?)

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Simon Moore
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow and Minimum Gauge Railways, Rock music, Militaria… all sorts

(F) Ratty Shed (Aka Whatisit?)

Postby Simon Moore » Fri May 14, 2010 9:19 am

I was browsing my copy of "Ratty; A History of the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway" yesterday and noticed, on page 48 a photo of the original 'scooter' hauling a vehicle I'd not seen in any other photos, literally a shed on wheels by the look of it, presumably on bogies given it's length.

Sorry for the poor photo of a photo, I don't have a scanner here at Uni.

My question is what is it? Presumably it was a Ratty lash up, was it a complete home build or a rebuild of an earlier piece of rolling stock?

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Fri May 14, 2010 10:45 am

Wow, a new one on me. In 'Ratty's 100' (pg 39) there is a 4 wheel wagon turned upside down for repair. It easily could be the length of the box on wheels so it may not be a bogie coach.
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Simon Moore
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Simon Moore » Fri May 14, 2010 10:07 pm

DCRfan wrote:Wow, a new one on me. In 'Ratty's 100' (pg 39) there is a 4 wheel wagon turned upside down for repair. It easily could be the length of the box on wheels so it may not be a bogie coach.

That's one of the 1923 Barrow-built coaches and I agree it's long wheel based, I just thought the shed looked longer still, might well be a 4 wheeler though. It is a puzzlement :shock:

Rob R
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15, NG in general, Austin Sevens

Postby Rob R » Fri May 14, 2010 11:12 pm

The proportions of the end of the "shed" are similar to one of the Bassett Lowke 4 wheelers with the end screen.

Maybe a cheap and cheerful winter coach?

Somewhere in the back of the grey matter there is a vague recollection of a line or two in the Ratty book, but that is at home and I'm not. :(

Will look tommorrow if I get a chance.

Whatever it is it looks like the ideal place to hide the motor for the scooter.
Rob Rayner
In the middle of the REAL Cheshire

Simon Moore
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Simon Moore » Sat May 15, 2010 9:22 am

Rob R wrote:The proportions of the end of the "shed" are similar to one of the Bassett Lowke 4 wheelers with the end screen.

You could well be right there, if it is a boarded in coach I'd imagine there's a door for each compartment in the other side ... really is speculation now.

Rob R
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Rob R » Mon May 17, 2010 4:33 pm

Right then, found it eventually.

From WJK Davies "The Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway" 2nd edition, page 145.

Referring to the Bassett Lowke 4 wheelers: "At least one coach was modified in the early days of the Mitchell regime for use with winter trains. The sides were covered with vertical matchboarding to a height of about 5ft and a flat roof was fitted; this gave a reasonably weatherproof vehicle which could yet be towed by the first light scooters."

Dimensions quoted for B-L 4 wheel stock:-

Length over headstocks 8ft 2 in
Width over body 3ft 2 in
Wheelbase 5ft 8 in
Wheel Dia 10 1/2 in
Rob Rayner

Rob R
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Rob R » Mon May 17, 2010 8:17 pm

The next question is:

"What does the other side and end look like?"

My guess is a couple of windowless doors for the side, which as it is matchboarded wouldn't look a lot different to the side we can see.

As I've not seen a picture of a Bassett Lowke 4 wheeler with a glass screen at both ends I'd suggest a windowless matchboarded end with the far compartment usually used for mail and parcels (sheep, pigs, chickens and lord knows what else they carried up the valley in those days!).

Another project added to the must do one day list.

At this rate it will be easier to list the bits that aren't on the list.
Rob Rayner

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9, 15" gauge, industrial modelling

Postby Brack » Wed May 26, 2010 8:12 pm

A copy of Mosley and Van Zeller's 15" Gauge Railways arrived for me today, and on page 68 is a nice side on view of the shed contraption and scooter.

Since it's a Mary Fair picture and they both appear to have the same gentlemen in them, I'd assume both pictures were taken at the same time. if so, it's at Irton Road, and it is the 4 wheeler, with vertically planked sides and the Bassett-Lowke end. However, from the other angle it seems that the other side is planked in too, and it looks pretty dark in there. No sign of a door on the left hand side, but possible there was a closable door on the other side (its not like the Ratty hasn't got/had plenty of coaching stock with doors one side only).

Still, I think scratchbuilding such a vehicle might well be within my powers. The scooter on the other hand ...

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Thu May 27, 2010 6:37 am

I wonder whether the entire side hinged upwards for access?

Chris

Return to “Prototype Prattles”