(F) 2' chain driven Sentinel

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

DanMacK
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Model railroading in multiple scales, interest in all. Currently modeling in T Gauge

(F) 2' chain driven Sentinel

Postby DanMacK » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:21 am

Hello all,

I came upon this Thing on Peter Boyer's Narrow Gauge Heaven. I'm referring to the loco in the upper left. The loco is 2 foot gauge, and at the Cliffe Hill Mineral Railway. Does anyone have more info or pictures of this thing? It's so ugly it's cute... Be a good candidate for narrowing to 15" gauge as well...

Regards,
Dan M
Last edited by DanMacK on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:28 am

It's a standard Sentinel steam loco. The vertical boiler is in the cab, the cylinders are in the box in the front and the object in the middle is a water tank. The thing across the water tank is the sand box. On the opposite side (away from the camera) is another chain connecting the cylinders to the front axle.

They were quite common over here and this model came in two varieties - like this one with a fabricated water tank and a heavyweight version with a cast tank. As far as I know none has been preserved.

I built a 1:43 scale model years ago and did a lot of research including climbing into the cab of a Sentinel stream lorry which had the same type of boiler.

Chris

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:35 pm

Whilst I was researching Sentinel boilers, I looked at a variety of different Sentinel road vehicles on both road and (standard gauge) rail. The boilers varied somewhat throughout the years. I had to guess which of the various ones I looked at was closest to the features I could see on photographs of this type of locomotive (since I couldn't see the real thing). However certain elements of the boilers seemed to remain the same: the top mounted fire door, the side mounted regulator and valves, the safety valve mounted in front of the chimney with a pipe running up in front of it and the basic dimensions. From that I made my model.

The cylinder assembly probably did vary because of the different drive between loco and road although that didn't bother me for, as far as I was concerned, a chain drive appeared from the base of the cylinder housing and drove on the front axle. I didn't have to model the cylinders.

For me, the major compromise was to fit chain guards throughout. From contemporary photos, Most locos didn't have them on both chains. I did try to find a small enough chain at the time and was told politely by a number of chain manufacturers that no such thing existed (it may now of course).

More recent research or greater knowledge may prove some of my suppositions wrong and I'm open to correction because of that. For example, Roy Link's drawing wasn't available when I built my model. However it is dimensionally very similar to the Wrightlines kit and I think that was built from the drawing.

And by the way, I don't think that, as it stands, the Cliffe Hill example could be regauged to 15 inches. It is a large machine and Sentinel boilers are all pretty much the same size. However, an 18 inch gauge Sentinel(ish) machine did exist on the Jaywick Miniature Railway but based on a different narrow gauge type. The remains of this are currently in the safe hands of a miniature railway enthusiast so it may steam again one day.

Chris

Return to “Prototype Prattles”