Stockers' line: the Pell Wall Agricultural Tramway

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:24 pm

The train turntable will be a nice feature in the garden. I suppose Mrs Stockers thinks its just a stone circle at the moment... She might not be happy when she finds out. :twisted:

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:34 pm

Blackcloud Railways wrote:The train turntable will be a nice feature in the garden. I suppose Mrs Stockers thinks its just a stone circle at the moment... She might not be happy when she finds out. :twisted:

Oooooh - I hadn't thought of that! A waggon turntable would certainly be a great addition. Time for a think and a scribble. Thanks!

P.S. Mrs Stockers is (somewhat) resigned to being a 'railway widow' - though there are limits as I occasionally find... :roll:

cheers,
Last edited by chris stockdale on Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:54 pm

Hey up Stockers, now that's a garden railway! 8) and I thought I was pushing it putting a layout on the coffee table :lol: Looking on with admiration, but mostly just envy... I want one :twisted:
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Looks like a lot of fun...... Must admit when I saw the picture a turntable was the first thing that came to mind as well. Looking at the first picture siting looks ideal for laying some track into the house :D :D then you can work on the stuff in the warm and dry..... And you will not be abandoning your wife she can sit in the lounge as well :lol:
Gordon F

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:44 pm

The sun has gone, so this shot is not so clear, but here is the view looking back from the veg patch end of the line along the patio

cheers,

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:49 pm

gfadvance wrote:Looks like a lot of fun...... Must admit when I saw the picture a turntable was the first thing that came to mind as well. Looking at the first picture siting looks ideal for laying some track into the house :D :D then you can work on the stuff in the warm and dry..... And you will not be abandoning your wife she can sit in the lounge as well :lol:

Gordon,

That would definitely be over that invisible, but all too clear line!

Mind you, the kitchen is actually my domain, so a waggon turntable at the back door end and then on into.....

.... but then again, maybe not :roll:

bestest,

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:09 pm

A slight delay in the loco department - apparently the third party contractor has made a slight bindles of the chassis...

Not to worry - it should all be here by Christmas!

Meanwhile I have been pondering the waggon turntable. A chat with a chap who already has same for 7 1/4" elicited a cost of more than I liked. I looked at motorbike turntables. There are some very nice ones out there but the prices were again not in line with the current Stockers (post USA holiday) bank balance.

Quite a bit of Googling around lazy susans - or at least, their bearings - has hopefully born fruit. I have therefore just purchased a 24" example via eBay.

Some rail and a way of supporting it (it might even be wood as a starter for ten) and I could be there.

cheers,
Last edited by chris stockdale on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moronguhl
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 09 industrial diesel and battery locos, and track to run them on!

Postby Moronguhl » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:11 am

Chris Stockdale wrote:Mind you, the kitchen is actually my domain, so a waggon turntable at the back door end and then on into.....,

I would TOTALLY create a small wooden/brick enclosure near the kitchen that a V tipper could be parked within - then if you have an open window near the enclosure you could throw food scraps into a chute which would funnel it into the V tipper. Then once or twice a week you could haul the Compost Express to a compost heap or food recycling bin elsewhere on your estate! Totally functional and very fun.

THIS IS NOW MY DREAM. :shock:
Christian Summers

We're gonna need a little rolling stock...and a lot of luck!

I used to have a project link here until the thread was deleted... :(

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:06 pm

Additional re the lazy susan - it is described as being able to take up to 750lbs (so you'll be fine on it Mr B :twisted: )

Christian,

We do recycle all peelings etc to the compost bins so there is scope re your idea...

cheers,

Moronguhl
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 09 industrial diesel and battery locos, and track to run them on!

Postby Moronguhl » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:16 pm

Chris Stockdale wrote:Additional re the lazy susan - it is described as being able to take up to 750lbs (so you'll be fine on it Mr B :twisted: )

Christian,

We do recycle all peelings etc to the compost bins so there is scope re your idea...

cheers,

I just reckon it's the ultimate in practical excuses for a railway. The weekly wheelie bin train to the front of the house could also be handy, depending how your local authority handles things :D
Christian Summers

We're gonna need a little rolling stock...and a lot of luck!

I used to have a project link here until the thread was deleted... :(

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:44 am

Moronguhl wrote:The weekly wheelie bin train to the front of the house could also be handy, depending how your local authority handles things :D

Mmmm, that would make interesting reading... "Shropshire County Council leads the way to a green future for refuse collection, county-wide narrow gauge tramway system proposed with sidings at strategic locations for the exchange of wagons between the tramway and privately owned local lines."

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:45 pm

Well, it may have taken a tad longer than originally thought, but here is the Tramway's loco number 1. Yet to be named (ideas welcome, SWMBO is already mollified by having my 1/12 scale steamer named after her) so options are wide open. Maybe.

Seen here in Lancashire this afternoon at a friend's railway.

And - cripes - here's a Stockers on board the beast.

cheers,

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:41 pm

My you do look in fine fettle Chris.
As for the name well you are now moderating this Forum and to that end the Oxford Thesaurus provides the answer using the colloquial MC as an illustration:
" Lady Felicia was chosen as the moderator of next year's panel" so Lady Felicia it has to be. :wink:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:56 am

Yet to be named (ideas welcome, SWMBO is already mollified by having my 1/12 scale steamer named after her) so options are wide open.

You could borrow a name from Shropshire light railway history and go for one of the classics, Hecate, Hesperus, Morous, Pyramus,or Dido.

Or even Thisbe. As in (adopting a rustic accent) "This be my loco, Thisbe." :lol:

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:39 am

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
Or even Thisbe. As in (adopting a rustic accent) "This be my loco, Thisbe." :lol:

Sounds like I might have a bit of an effeminate lisp :roll:

I like the idea of Pyramus for a steam powered jobbie at some time in the future.

Gerry's Lady Felicia seemed a bit grand but it got me thinking of P.G. Woodhouse's Jeeves and Wooster characters. 'Tuppy', as in Tuppy Glossop might be usable - but keep the ideas coming!

cheers,

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:19 am

Chris Stockdale wrote:P.S. Mrs Stockers is (somewhat) resigned to being a 'railway widow' -
Maybe a branch to the clothesline would sell?
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:43 pm

Nice setup Chris 8) I am very envious :mrgreen:

Simon.

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: old technology and small railways, with new technology tossed in.

Postby JeffSaxton » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:44 pm

In keeping with the "dignified" approach, though with a male twist:

A. E. Housman

You being in Shropshire and all ...
Jeff Saxton
I'm spending the year dead for tax purposes!

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:08 pm

Simon Andrews wrote:Nice setup Chris 8) I am very envious :mrgreen:

Simon.

Thanks Simon it's been a long time coming. As in I am able to do this because there is actually a bit left over after other stuff was taken care of from an endowment that has paid out after twenty five years.

cheers,

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:12 pm

JeffSaxton wrote:In keeping with the "dignified" approach, though with a male twist:

A. E. Housman

You being in Shropshire and all ...

Thoughts of Housman's poem had passed through my mind. Curiously I don't know it off by heart :wink: (for those not in the know - it's HUGE) so I might have a bit of a Google. I'm not initially sure that I want to use Housman's name but I'll let the idea float about for a bit - it's funny how things can suddenly just seem right after not thinking about them too hard for a while...

cheers,
Last edited by chris stockdale on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:14 pm

Here's the poem for those that fancy it. It's good stuff, honest! :D

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/5720/5720-h/5720-h.htm

cheers,

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: old technology and small railways, with new technology tossed in.

Postby JeffSaxton » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:26 pm

There's lots of death, darkness, and even murder in Housman, so it may be a bit drear still ...
Jeff Saxton

I'm spending the year dead for tax purposes!

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:18 pm

Blackcloud Railways wrote: go for one of the classics, Hecate, Hesperus, Morous, Pyramus,or Dido.

I've been pondering the classics and gods and such as I sit in the breakfast area with our two cats sprawled across the table (I suspect that the health inspector would be underwhelmed :roll: ) when it came to me - the perfect (pun there) name, that is.

Bastet.

Here's a link to our lovely cat goddess for those who have a mind to get all learned:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastet

So, in honour of our feline friends, much waited upon by yours truly I think I have arrived at a suitable name. And, hoping that Keith, her builder isn't reading this - unlikely 'cos I sent him the link earlier today - should the loco ever misbehave I will know exactly which epithet to use... :wink: :twisted:

Thoughts?

bestest,

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15, Narrow Gauge

Postby mad gerald » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:43 pm

Sorry, as I'm a little bit late (freshly returned from a crusade) ... :wink:

Chris Stockdale wrote: ... I've been pondering the classics and gods and such as I sit in the breakfast area with our two cats sprawled across the table (I suspect that the health inspector would be underwhelmed :roll: ) when it came to me - the perfect (pun there) name, that is.

Bastet.

... as you've already made your decision ... to bad ... I'd have voted for Bitzer ... or Belphegor (demon) ... :twisted:

Cheers

BTW: You're such a lucky devil ...

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:37 am

Chris Stockdale wrote:Bastet.

bestest,

With the nameplate in hieroglyphs of course!

You might even amend your signature to read bestestbastet. :twisted:

Return to “Prototype Prattles”