Stockers' line: the Pell Wall Agricultural Tramway

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Stockers' line: the Pell Wall Agricultural Tramway

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:38 pm

I think I should start with :oops: :oops: :oops:

as I have dithered over my 5" line for far too long. However, much as I love (they can't touch you for it) my 5" gauge Maxitrak Ruston it is for sale on other relevant forums. Yes, I am, as the title says, now planning to create the Pell Wall Agricultural Tramway at 12" to the foot.

Pell Wall because that is my location just outside Market Drayton and Agricultural Tramway because it is to serve the veg patch, possibly the kitchen and certainly next door's stables by bringing in the muck to grow ever better veg. Yes, it's the poo line :D :roll:

Not all is lost from the 5" however. The cutting will need widening and the sleepers will be for sale, but the rail itself and chairs that slip onto it are standard PNP products and will fit perfectly with their 7 1/4" sleepers.

Motive power is likely to be something like:

http://www.sevenandaquarter.org/gallery ... w&g_id=771

i.e. a very simple battery electric, sideways sitting so that one does not have to twist one's head off when changing the direction of travel.

A couple of wagons for the ordure and the Tramway will be running. (Now, none of your tart comments Mr Bullock, e.g 'And what year will that be?' or similar) :?

bestest,
Last edited by chris stockdale on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Re: Stockers goes minimum at 12" to the foot on 7 1/4&q

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Chris Stockdale wrote:I think I should start with :oops: :oops: :oops:

A couple of wagons for the ordure and the Tramway will be running. (Now, none of your tart comments Mr Bullock, e.g 'And what year will that be?' or similar) :?

bestest,

Gnever said a word Chris. :wink:
I do like the Loco, certainly make for an easier ride in this gauge. :lol:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:41 pm

magic gauge, nicely goes with the 32mm 1/6th scale, then there could be 1.12th scale on 16.5mm, and finally G9 .One railway , 4 scales. 8)
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:20 pm

Hmmmm, thats a bit cute :)
I'm wondering if it has a battery or a lawn mower engine in that ammunition box. Seems strange to carry a petrol can on a battery loco :?:
Very tempting in Gnine, must try and resist :lol:
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:25 pm

Steve Bennett wrote:Hmmmm, thats a bit cute :)
Seems strange to carry a petrol can on a battery loco :?:

I'm assuming it's to hide the battery as I am pretty sure there isn't enough room to hide even the smallest i.c. engine anywhere.

I wondered if it would set Gnatterboxers thinking about possible scale/combos for a model version, despite being about as simple as one can get (just look at that seat) it has a certain something IMHO.

bestest,

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:01 pm

I hope to have some drawings in a few days. I went to visit Phoenix Locomotives:

http://www.phoenixlocos.com

last week and we worked up some ideas using their project loco underpinnings

http://phoenixlocos.com/products/projectloco2/

which should make for a very small loco for me at about 32" long excluding couplers! More info in due course, including a diagram of how the line is likely to end up.

cheers,

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:33 pm

:D Have often admired their Hesketh which they usually bring to NG North show.
So, are you going for ride-on or having a driving car behind :?:
Or should I wait and see :roll:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:48 pm

Steve Bennett wrote::
So, are you going for ride-on or having a driving car behind :?:

Ride on with yours truly sitting dead centre as the major chunk of ballast. There will be a dropped footrest so that I can get the centre of gravity as low as possible. A couple of battery boxes, one at each end (it's a 24 volt 1HP motor, so two 12V batteries are essential) and that's about it!

cheers,

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:19 pm

Sounds good and a possible candidate for a miniature version :lol:
Wonder if we can get Rob to do a Busy Body version of Stockers for a 1:12 model, or are you ahead of me there :wink:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:12 pm

Steve Bennett wrote:Sounds good and a possible candidate for a miniature version :lol:
Wonder if we can get Rob to do a Busy Body version of Stockers for a 1:12 model, or are you ahead of me there :wink:

A full size Stockers is, surely, bad enough, without the place being infested with mini versions :shock: :twisted:

cheers,

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:24 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:01 am

Stockers, you are totally nuts in a way cool sort of way :D
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:00 am

Willow Creek Traction wrote:Stockers, you are totally nuts in a way cool sort of way :D

It's feedback like this that keeps me going :D

The Gnatterbox is, of course, the coolest spot on the internet.

bestest,

Voyager
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Location: Staffordshire (but the other end of the County from Gnosall!), UK

Postby Voyager » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:49 pm

Inspiration indeed Sir!

Look forward to seeing the photos in due course.

Will there perhaps be a railtour for GnATTERboxers in due course?

All the best with assembling and testing it.

Mark
Regards to all,

Voyager

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:27 am

Voyager wrote:
Look forward to seeing the photos in due course.

Will there perhaps be a railtour for GnATTERboxers in due course?

Hi Mark,

There have been a number of false dawns with the 5" gauge with ideas of having visitors but I have a better feeling about this latest venture, so I'll stick my neck out and suggest that even if it is just to visit a test track, there'll still be a bit of a get together pretty much the minute I have my loco.

And the nice man from Phoenix indicated that could be in the order of six weeks :shock: :D

For those not so close then the regulation photos of Stockers making a fool of himself will follow.... :roll:

bestest,

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:21 am

Having had a visit and a few discussions with Phoenix Locomotives we have come up with a final draft of what my loco should be.

The loco has grown to some 40" x 20" with a steel chassis but ply footplate and bodywork (for lightness). There will be a touch of the Lister with holes in the front end to provide a grill, although in fact the two boxes at either end will be for batteries, this being a leckie loco.

There are two wheelbase options at 500mm and 400mm. Wheels will be Phoenix's standard for everything at 5 3/4".

Here's a side view sketch

cheers

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:25 pm

Ok, so the words 'Final Draft' on the drawing were a mite over optimistic...

Mind you, the change has been small. I am now able to drop the rear battery box as both batteries are small enough to fit into the front box.

In the previous post I should perhaps have mentioned that's a handrail at the back, but i expect it is reasonably obvious.

I like to think we (Keith at Phoenix and I) have designed quite a pleasing little industrial jobbie.

cheers,
Last edited by chris stockdale on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:31 pm

...and on to rolling stock.

A couple of flat waggons (I have always liked the double G, it somehow makes it seem more ancient/rustic) give all sorts of options.

Here's a pic of one

with luck both will be in my possession next week, along with some track and a couple of points.

bestest,

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:54 pm

Chris Stockdale wrote:Ok, so the words 'Final Draft' on the drawing were mite over optimistic..

I like to think we (Keith at Phoenix and I) have designed quite a pleasing little industrial jobbie.

cheers,

Its just 3 boxes Chris, Oh and plus the "obvious" :!: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Can't wait to see the 3D version. :wink:

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:07 pm

Definitely looking forward to see what you have come up with.
It will probably look nothing like the mental picture in my head, so had better be patient and wait before planning a miniature version :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:32 pm

Gerry Bullock wrote:Can't wait to see the 3D version. :wink:

Here's a 3/4 view (Keith's sketches) so imagine it as something like this without the rear box.

but with a hand brake like this

cheers,

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:20 pm

Ah, yes, boxes with holes in. :roll:
However the built Loco will look great Chris. 8)

Voyager
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Location: Staffordshire (but the other end of the County from Gnosall!), UK

Postby Voyager » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:11 pm

Great to follow the continuing progress Stockers.

Apologies if this is a bit of a diversion from the direction of your thread, but I happened to dip back into my copy of Smithers at the weekend whie trying to date an Eaton Hall photo and was reminded of Eaton's Simplex which made me wonder ... whether a Hesketh could provide the running gear and motive power for a half scale model of one?

Anyway, back to your thread.

All the best,

Mark
Regards to all,

Voyager

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:15 am

Mark,

It just so happen that when I first went to visit Keith at Phoenix another customer had sent him a photo of....

... a half (might actually have been a third) scale Simplex :D

I'll see what I can do to get hold of the photos.

cheers,

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:12 pm

I was glad that this thread

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=8650

on Operation came up recently because I had been pondering Phase 1 of the Pell Wall Agricultural Tramway - all fifteen yards of it (so that's less than two foot in G scale if you fancy modelling it...), plus an eight foot siding.

As of yesterday a bunch of 7 1/4" track, including two points came into my clutches, along with two waggons. The loco is still a few weeks off.

Note the track is simply laid out at present and not yet connected together.

Never the less, I think there is the opportunity for some fun pretty soon :D

Here's a 7 1/4" waggon (36" x 21", since you ask) with my 5" gauge Ruston on board and a 7/8ths scale Hunslet on 45mm track.

Imaginings for the future: modern top waggons i.e. a way of transporting manure once we get to the final Phase, probably next year

Why push a wheel barrow when it can ride?

A view of the Tramway from the kitchen end looking towards the veg patch

cheers,
Last edited by chris stockdale on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Prototype Prattles”