(F) Sir Arthur's position in life

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

JeffSaxton
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: old technology and small railways, with new technology tossed in.

(F) Sir Arthur's position in life

Postby JeffSaxton » Mon May 26, 2003 4:01 am

Hello, all;

Not quite railroad related, so instead of in the prototype forum, I'll put it here.

Over on this side of the pond, our national Public Broadcasting Service (TV) recently played the series BBC did titled something like "Manor House"; about taking modern day Britons and setting them up in a manor house as if it were the Edwardian era. Each person was expected to fulfill the duties and role of a specific household worker or resident.

One thing they noted got me to thinking. The man and woman playing the owners of the home, as well as the narrator, pointed out that due to the somewhat strict social order of the day, things were expected to occur on a set schedule, every day. This included meals, and how one should dress for the meal. The participants noted it really cut into their time, and in effect was a limit on their freedom (at least compared to the social freedoms of today, I am assuming). Being it was the Edwardian era, I am sure it was somewhat less formal than the Victiorian era, but how in the world did Sir Arthur get anything accomplished if he was always expected to be dressed for dinner or tea?

I can't see Sir Arthur showing up in oily clothes after having played with one of the locos, or dirty from the shops ...
Last edited by JeffSaxton on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Saxton
I'm spending the year dead for tax purposes!

Emrys
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Model railways, photography, website design

It's different for eccentrics

Postby Emrys » Mon May 26, 2003 2:56 pm

Sir Arthur probably capitalised on the fact that the rules you mentioned were expected to be followed if you did not wish to be thought eccentric and/or socially unacceptable.

Seemingly bizarre behaviour would have been tolerated in a member of the aristocracy (one rule for the rich, etc.) and I suspect that Sir Arthur would have capitalised in this.

I get the impression from his book that he wasn't overly bothered about how people perceived him as long as they took his ideas seriously. Besides, any rules that society defined for dining at the dinner tablewere probably irrelevant - he'd have had his dinner brought out to him in the workshop!
Emrys Hopkins

ian holmes
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, photography and maintaining my Englishness living in America

Postby ian holmes » Tue May 27, 2003 2:15 pm

Further to this. I think I read in Howard Claytons book "The Duffield Bank and Eaton Railways" That Sir Arthur was also one to return to his workshop after dinner and work until the early hours of the morning.
Kinda makes you wonder how he sired so many progeny though...

Ian :lol:
Model railway psychic nutjob
Ian's Gn15 pages at http://www.iholmes.com
Try something different http://gnine.info

Emrys
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Model railways, photography, website design

It's obvious really

Postby Emrys » Tue May 27, 2003 10:07 pm

Picture the scene: After a brief dinner Sir Arthur disappears once again to his workshop. Lady H, fed up with being abandoned, goes to confront her spouse (and see what he's been up to). She enters the room full of pistons, boilers and gears ... well, it's bound to have turned a girl's head, isn't it? :shock:
Emrys Hopkins

Return to “Prototype Prattles”