Isle of Mull Railway coaches

Want to talk about Sir Arthur Heywood's 15" gauge railways? About modern day minimum gauge lines? Have you found a minimum gauge line you've not seen mentioned on the website? Want directions to one of the railways that is mentioned? Whatever your interest in real minimum gauge lines, post your questions (and answer other modellers' questions) here.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Igor
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge modelling

Isle of Mull Railway coaches

Postby Igor » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:54 pm

Most coaches on 10 1/4" gauge are only wide enough to seat one person, but I seem to remember reading in an old copy of Narrow Gauge World that the Isle of Mull coaches seat two side by side. Does anyone have any photos to show how they do this? It isn't very clear in any that I've found.

Narrow gauge Nutter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: anything & everything narrow gauge

Postby Narrow gauge Nutter » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:05 pm

I had a trip on this line, some 10 years ago.

Although I will admit to being a "stout" person, as far as I can remember you would only get small persons - children - side by side. At a rough estimate I would say about 70cms wide.

Hope this helps. Sorry only nondigital pics, and can't remember if we took any, and where they would be - moved 3 times since!

David
David H-G, the Narrow gauge Nutter

Lost in France and loving it!

Igor
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge modelling

Postby Igor » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:09 pm

Narrow gauge Nutter wrote:as far as I can remember you would only get small persons - children - side by side.

This seems very likely. I wonder how the 70cm width compares to normal carriages on this gauge.

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Emett-esque GN15

Postby backwaterscotland » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:03 am

The railway appeared on the TV series Ballamory and there are some photos from the shoot here which seem to show 2 adults side by side in the coaches :

http://www.mullrail.co.uk/balamory.htm

Andy 8)

Narrow gauge Nutter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: anything & everything narrow gauge

Postby Narrow gauge Nutter » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:09 am

Those aren't the carriages we used. I seem to remember that it was early in the season and the line didn't appear to be open, fully.

Maybe we had a works carriage, or something? Obviously not paying full attention :oops:
David H-G, the Narrow gauge Nutter

Lost in France and loving it!

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Emett-esque GN15

Postby backwaterscotland » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:32 am

Narrow gauge Nutter wrote:Those aren't the carriages we used. I seem to remember that it was early in the season and the line didn't appear to be open, fully.

Maybe we had a works carriage, or something? Obviously not paying full attention :oops:

The website lists 3 types of carriage - http://www.mullrail.co.uk/railhistory.htm - I think the ones pictured above are the MkII & MkIIB ones. The enclosed ones look a bit narrower : http://www.flickr.com/photos/dscn8785/4777627394/ - I think these are the MkIIIs?

Andy

Return to “Prototype Prattles”